Hotter Than Hell bean Chili with very little meat

Options
NatalieWinning
NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
Makes possibly 22 one cup servings of hot spicey chili that freezes very nicely! I vary it according to the peppers and onion I have available, or the tomato I can find without salt (why is that so hard???), but always the jalapeno's.
The version I made tonight with double the kidney beans was: 22g protein, 240 calories, 57 carbs, 4g fat, 354 sodium

I get dry beans, they go in pressure cooker with a glug of oil so they don't foam with 2/3 filled water and pressure cook for 20-30 min. Drain and rinse. Now they are ready to dump in the other diced or minced ingredients, stir, and pressure cook again 20-30 min. (no pressure cooker? Then you will have to decide how to soak and cook the beans, then cook it until it’s tender and ready. Check some crock pot recipe’s or regular chili for times).

Put some reduced fat shreaded cheese on top or sour cream. mmm, mmm.. Good as chili nacho, to dip in tostitos scoops, or like a bowl of chili. I make taco similar to this only a little dryer. It never really makes it into the freezer, even though it's a large pressure cooker absolutely full, and there are only 2 adults and one child here! I seriously have made a double batch just so I could freeze some. I've never had any left over to freeze! The family eats it as fast as I can make it.

Ground Cumin, 5 tsp (more or less-I go for more)
Iodized Salt, 2 tsp (1.5g) (skip or add more if you feel like it)
Oregano, dried, 1 tsp, leaves
Paprika, 1 tsp
Garlic Powder, 1 Tbsp (or a couple cloves diced up)
Basil, dried, 0.5 tsp, leaves (I don't know if this is necessary)
Onion - Raw/Large, 1 onion (150 g)
Diced Tomatoes - No Salt Added, 7 cup (or sauce or any combo of tomato stuff about that much)
Peppers - Jalapeno, raw, 4-5 pepper (you can also put in publano pepper along with it)
Green Bell Pepper 1 med I have all kinds of peppers I keep trying, today it was red sweet things from my farm share)
Red Kidney Beans (Dry), 2 container (3 cup dries ea.)
Beef (I use my kitchen aide grinder to grind my own hamburger. It really is better and no wierd nasty stuff in it like burger from the store. Chuck, blade roast, lean or a pound of hamburger) - browned and crumbled
Dry Black Beans, 2 container (3 cup (dry) ea.)
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, 4 tsp(.8g) (more optional because the hot peppers are certainly hot enough!)
Chili Powder, 14 tsp (more or less-I know it's rediculous that it's tsp's but it fits into the database better that way)
One cup of this will be about 225 calories, I've estimated. Really good for you and low sodium unless you add some, or use canned beans and don't use "no salt added" tomato.

Replies