treadmill vs. outside 5k

Options
lsilly15
lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
Hello! Im training for a 5k and I have been running outside and running on a treadmill. I know running outside is better since you will be running outside for the race but I would like to do treadmill as well sometimes. Will that ruining my training at all?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Nope. I actually find the treadmill harder to do because it's boring LOL. But I still do it sometimes, if I have to. It won't affect your training.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Last year I did most of my training on TM and placed 3rd for age group in my very first 5K. I now prefer to run outside but I still do both, and probably more TM running than anything although for long distances I prefer to do it outside!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A number of Olympic runners have trained extensively on treadmills. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=300125

So I would say it doesn't hurt your training at all.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The only way it might hinder your training might be if the race is on a hilly trail. I know I can run forever on a flat surface (treadmills or not), but even a small hill kicks my a**. In that case, I would sometimes run on the TM using an incline. If the race is fairly flat, occasionally using a TM should not have much of an impact.

I almost forgot to add that allergens and heat are factors to consider when comparing TM vs outdoor running. But you can always take an allergy pill and you can't do much about the heat if you don't handle that well.
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill, but sometimes in the humidity and heat its the only option. I do find I get the distance done alot better outside as I am unable to fully extend my legs on the treadmill. I must be having balance issues- lol. But it can be done. I usually put on incline of 2 just to mimick more the outdoors
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Always put the treadmill at a small incline - 1% or 1.5% no matter what. This more closely mimicks running outdoors and will put less stress on your joints.

Treadmills can be boring but you can use them to do speed or hill intervals and that will benefit your outdoor running.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!