For over a year, can't get out of 160's

Options
I am WAY beyond frustrated. I went from 190-160 in 6 months, was so happy. June of LAST YEAR I weighed 160, with about 10-15 more lbs to go until my goal (i'm 5 "2). Since last June, I've lost and gained the SAME 5 lbs. This morning I was 166.8, my highest in a long time. I run 2 miles every morning, add in 30 min of elliptical a couple times a week, and am doing well keeping within my 1320 calorie range. HELP! I know you're supposed to change everything up when you reach a plateau - and I've done that - several times. I'll get back down to around 161 and then just gain it back. If I burn 200-400 calories a day, I'm not sure anymore how many calories I should eat! Any advice? (And I drink 80-100 ounces of water a day). Thanks!

Replies

• GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried upping your calories?
  • lisahewlett
    Options
    I've thought about that, but I have NO idea what to up them to.
  • GreekByMarriage
    Options
    Just so you get an idea, I am also 5'2"/33yo/female - I had my BMI tested medically, it is 1613. I have set my calories in MFP to 1613 aand try to eat close to that amount. I sometimes eat a little less, sometimes a little more depending on how much exercise I do. I loose roughly a pound a week. My starting weight in January was 185, I got down to 168 in 3 months and then I started slacking again. I am now at 168 and have started back on MFP again and trying to get my but back in gear. Also, make sure to trqack your sodium... if I have a high sodium day I can easily "gain" 4 pounds and it takes forever for it to fall back off!
  • GreekByMarriage
    Options
    How old are you and what is your activity level?
  • lisahewlett
    Options
    I'm 30 years old, and I unfortunately sit at my desk all day. My activity comes from running 2 miles first thing in the morning 5 days a week, and in our office gym 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes.

So you weigh close to me and eat 1613 calories/day?
  • lisahewlett
    Options
    I've looked at several web sites to see how many calories someone my age/weight/height should eat to lose 1-2 lbs per week, but I've seen everything from 1200 to 1670. Hence my confusion :-)
  • echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    My trainer busts my *kitten* when she sees me running. She says that switching up the cardio is very important (even interval running). Your body has become accustom to "okay wake up, run, work, done" Change is the answer.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    she is correct... I was eating around 1200 calories for a while and I've upped them to like 1530
    (thereabouts), I'm starting to loose again. I was losing the battle not eating enough. I workout
    more on weekends but can squeeze in a little workout 20 min two times a week.

I'm 43 and sit all day long - stinks. I do a little family walk at night :) Throw my kid in
    a stroller some times and push her and all of her 47 pounds around my neighborhood.
    Thats a nice workout.
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'd seriously consider some weight training - simply to keep the 'fat-burning' going longer - if you aren't already. But as the other person mentioned as well...up you calories a bit as well...a matter of experimenting a bit!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck the same as you for four months, it's driving me insane.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lifting or anything similar to get some muscles?
    Another thing you might want to try is going low-carb, meaning about or less than 100 a day, instead eating more protein and healthy fat~
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    weights!

Also, have you been tested for any medical conditions? Thyroid problems etc?
  • yad97
    yad97 Posts: 43
    Options
    Cardio can only do so much. Try doing one of the Jillian Michaels videos in the a.m. in addition (or instead) of your run. 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 are under 30 minutes. I bet you would see a big difference. I also need to keep my sugars to a minimum, even if my cals are low, to see a difference.
  • GreekByMarriage
    Options
    Yeah... I weigh only a couple pounds more than you and I RARELY eat less than 1500-1650 a day...

Here is a link to a calculator I use... Please Note, if you choose "sedentary/deskjob" as your activity level then you would have to try and eat back some of your exercise calories.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    TDEE is 2063. 15% of that is 1753
    BMR is 1500

You need to eat AT LEAST, 1500 calories. To follow the TDEE diet, 1753 calories. I would not eat below 1500 calories a day. Give it a month. You have come this far, you can give it a try, at least. Somewhere between 1500-1753. Try not to eat your exercise calories back, and not exceed 1753. Best of luck. Don't give up now. Your body is just comfy, so you gotta shake things up a bit. :smile:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm in this boat, too. I'm 5' 3" tall, lost 23 lbs since last August, and have been at a virtual standstill hovering around 160 since mid-March. I have a desk job as well, and am not a gym person...........most of my exercise comes from walking and hiking.

I've upped the cals, downed the cals, tried to increase activity........and have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to keep doing what WORKED before, and not worry about it anymore.

At 57 years old, it took me decades to get to 182 lbs................and I can take a year or two to get down to my goal of 140. It's not worth the stress, heartache, pain, and pissed-offedness to OBSESS about this anymore. I'm healthy - good cholesterol, no diabetes, no heart issues, nothing to be concerned about. I have made many positive changes - not only in eating, but in exercise and mood and just the way I FEEL.

I hope you can figure this out for yourself.....................here's an excellent website to check your numbers:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • lisahewlett
    Options
    weights!

Also, have you been tested for any medical conditions? Thyroid problems etc?

I'm going to a nutritionist tomorrow, I don't know if they can test for that there or not. I will add some weight training - thank you!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I've looked at several web sites to see how many calories someone my age/weight/height should eat to lose 1-2 lbs per week, but I've seen everything from 1200 to 1670. Hence my confusion :-)

If your goal is 10-15 more lbs you shouldn't be expecting to lose 2 lbs in a week. Even 1lb a week is a big jump at this range. At this point you should be working with smaller deficits and smaller losses.

My best advice here is calorie cycling and following your MFP goals. Eat back your exercise calories- most of them. Set your goals at 1300 one week, 1400 the next, 1500 the next, then drop back down to 1300. Change your exercise intensities- try some interval training, some weight training, yoga- mix it up.

Also- I'm 5'3" and 135 lbs and I eat 1600+exercise calories (3-400) every day to maintain. So when i'm in deficit like this, I eat a total of about 1700 calories daily - to lose about 1/2lb a week.
  • lisahewlett
    Options
    TDEE is 2063. 15% of that is 1753
    BMR is 1500

You need to eat AT LEAST, 1500 calories. To follow the TDEE diet, 1753 calories. I would not eat below 1500 calories a day. Give it a month. You have come this far, you can give it a try, at least. Somewhere between 1500-1753. Try not to eat your exercise calories back, and not exceed 1753. Best of luck. Don't give up now. Your body is just comfy, so you gotta shake things up a bit. :smile:

WOW. That seems like a lot! It scares me to up it to that much, but maybe you're right - my body is just too comfortable. Thank you!
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    add some strength training to your program...it wil give you more shape as well as more results as long as you are executing in the other areas you need to..and no, you won't look like me;) ha