Diabetes

Options
Anyone have any ideas for reducing carbs for type 2 diabetics?

Replies

• Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My honey is a diabetic. Type 1. I had to learn how to cook low card and it was hard but one trick I learned was trying new veggies and spices. I was raised to have a meat, potato or rice or pasta and a vegetable for dinner. Now I make two veggies and meat and a smaller starch food ie potato, rice or pasta. That is an easy start. There are a ton of recipe sites out there but I found that if I just try to cook what I normally cook with a slight change ie add more veggies, bake and not fry, add spices for flavor instead of breading and gravy. You'll be surprised how many carbs you'll cut :smile: Good luck!
  • kerridonnally
    kerridonnally Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm, a type 1 diabetic, have been for 25 years. Cheesecake is the best sweet to have when your diabetic because it is low in sugar. There are also loads of sf (sugar free) candies on the market now that will satisfy the urge too. I do mashed cauliflower like I would do mashed potatoes and they are great! Just have to find the recipes you do love, take the sugar out and add splenda. Play with it you'll love it.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for, replacements, low carb recipes, etc? What are you looking to replace? Have you spoken with a nutritionist?

For replacements, I use spaghetti squash, broccoli (I will put almost anything on broccoli), carrots, high fiber breads (and sometimes almond flour bread) and pasta (admittedly I eat almost 0 pasta). For breakfast I eat puffed wheat, etc.

If you give us a better idea what you are trying to replace, we can help you replace it.