Sore Muscles!

Options
Hey guys... I have a question here!

I have a 4-day workout plan for each week. There is a different workout for each day. I just started it on Monday, and have gone through 2 different workouts already. But I'm soooo sore! I have been reading up on whether or not to do today's workout, or to give myself a day's rest. What do you think? I really want to work out, but I'm almost afraid my body won't like it and scream the whole time. I understand that I could do some cardio (light), but I want to stick to my Mon-Thurs plan and have Fridays off. Should I change the routine only this week because it's the beginning week? Or should I go ahead and do the next workout?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Although they're different workouts are they exercising the same muscle groups? If so then a day of light cardio is probably the best bet.

If you're working different parts of your body then it's your choice.

Personally, I have a low pain threshold - I'd probably opt for a recovery day (easy cardio)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I say continue! I find that when I'm sore, after a couple minutes of my workout I'm not (as) sore anymore. If nothing hurts, then keep going. Soreness just means you're working hard :)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you are aiming to build some muscle then if you are still sore then that means your muscles are still repairing themselves. To interrupt that would be detrimental

If you decide to push through, your muscles will warm up and stretch out and the pain will likely pass (dependent on how sore you are of course).

I would say if you are working the same muscle groups then stay away and rest. If not then go for it.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Well the first day was ALL core and ab workout. You do the routine, take a rest for 90 sec, and then do it again, 90 sec, and then again. 3x's. Yesterday, however, it was a slight mix. There was some lower ab workout, but mostly it was leg and all over body. And it was also 3x's, but I could only get through 2 1/2. TODAY, it is the 100 pyramid, with a different twist:

100 jumping jacks
    90 Russian twists
    80 squats
    70 leg lifts
    60 jumping jacks
    50 Russian twists
    40 jump squats
    30 push ups
    20 jumping jacks
    10 min. of running

... and I do that all only once.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What are you doing in your work outs?

In general I'd work through it but at a much slower pace. OR go for a 45 minute walk. The first 15 will be still, but you'll loosen up. For future work outs I'd dial back the intensity for a while while you break yourself in, then increase it over time.

The last thing I'd do is take the day off. The way I look at it, you're trying to build a new habit.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Light cardio helps me.

Also, the massage chair at my gym. I would go to the gym JUST to sit in that chair.

Also, are you stretching adequately after your workouts? I notice people often forget this very important part of exercising. Stretching feels awesome but also reduces soreness (at least for me). I can always tell what I didn't stretch well enough by what hurts the most the next day.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Well the first day was ALL core and ab workout. You do the routine, take a rest for 90 sec, and then do it again, 90 sec, and then again. 3x's. Yesterday, however, it was a slight mix. There was some lower ab workout, but mostly it was leg and all over body. And it was also 3x's, but I could only get through 2 1/2. TODAY, it is the 100 pyramid, with a different twist:

100 jumping jacks
    90 Russian twists
    80 squats
    70 leg lifts
    60 jumping jacks
    50 Russian twists
    40 jump squats
    30 push ups
    20 jumping jacks
    10 min. of running

... and I do that all only once.

That seems like a lot to start with. Maybe instead of a 10 minute run, you do a 30 minute brisk walk (3.5 MPH)? - at least for a week or so.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on how sore you are - if you're so bad that you can't get up from a sitting position without moaning and groaning, you might want to take the day off. If it's just typical muscle soreness from a new workout, take the advice given here and maybe to do a lighter workout, go for a walk or something a little lighter to stretch your muscles and take it easier for a day.

But if you're so sore it hurts to move or walk, don't be afraid to take a day off - those muscles need to heal!
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When just starting out, sore muscles are normal. I find that when I'm sore, it helps speed up the healing process by continuing to work out. Gets the blood flowing to the muscles and helps get out the lactic acid that is causing the soreness. The second day is usually the worst and then it starts to go away. With that said, be careful not to overdue to the point of injury. Have to listen to your body and what its trying to tell you. There are times I walk into the gym and leave about two minutes later cause I can tell my body is in need of some rest. Just don't use the soreness as an excuse to quit. It'll get better the more you work out, to the point where you aren't sore after your workout.....so keep up the great work!!!!!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I always just work through the pain. I figure if I am sore it is doing what it is supposed to. Try mixing it up and working a different muscle group or do cardio and go back to your routine. Eventually you will need to mix it up so your body doesn't get used to doing the same thing.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've JUST started my strength training, like, I've done two days of it. Did some Sunday, and I could hardly move on Monday (work was SO MUCH FUN, lol). I forced myself to walk my dog on Monday to get some 'cardio' in and use my muscles. Yesterday I had another strength training day and I was worried as my muscles were still very sore. So I opted to do some light cardio as my warm up (Dance Dance Revolution) and then did my strength training. I also took the time to stretch after I was done. This morning my legs are a little achy, but no where near as bad as the previous days.

How much have you stretched your muscles since your workout? This might help some!

If it was me, I'd probably do the workout today, but do it more slowly or cut my reps/sets down some.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    Nice advice, everyone. I have been thinking, I'll take it slow in the beginning, and stretch everything that I possibly can. If I can't make it through the jumping jacks, that probably means I need to just take a break today. Other than that, I want to go ahead with the workout, but slowly. I have time... :)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you are aiming to build some muscle then if you are still sore then that means your muscles are still repairing themselves. To interrupt that would be detrimental

If you decide to push through, your muscles will warm up and stretch out and the pain will likely pass (dependent on how sore you are of course).

I would say if you are working the same muscle groups then stay away and rest. If not then go for it.

This is what you want to do. Be sure to consume protein, which will help with the repair process. If you work through soreness too much you are just repeatedly tearing your muscles without letting them recover and rebuild. You'll find you'll be less sore each time you do the workout as your body adjusts.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm trying to build that much muscle... maybe only in my ab areas. My legs don't need muscle :D I'm just trying to tone and get fit more... I thought maybe all this exercise would help with a faster weight loss since I haven't been doing very many strenuous activities other than running or walking.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I would do some light(ish) cardo - walking is a good one.
    Make sure you drink water, eat protein and STRETCH.
    I love being sore, but I also limit my strength training to every other day (do cardio +/- yoga on my non-lifting days).
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I would continue.
    First when I started doing exercise I got pain then I stopped and the pain was there for a while.
    I gave up gained all the weight back.
    I started back in may and when I started exercise I didn´t give myself break even though my muscles were sore and I got over it faster + I used deep heat cream to massage my muscles and that helped, now I just massage my muscles while I put on some lotion/body milk
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    You need to give any muscle you've worked out 48 hrs rest before working it again. A split routine of Weights Day 1, Cardio Day 2, Weights, Cardio, Weights then Cardio is basic and great. On the weight lifting days I would do something like Day 1 chest and back, Day 3 would be Arms (bis, tris and forearms) Day 5 could be Legs and Shoulders. Just give the muscle time to repair itself.

What you are feeling is Onset Muscle Soreness. It's lactic acid build up in the muscles. Push thru to get it over with but follow what I've outlined above.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    None of these exercises require weights. They are body workouts only, so I'm just lifting my own weight.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    None of these exercises require weights. They are body workouts only, so I'm just lifting my own weight.

That being the case I would say just push through it as well as you can. Do some light cardio to warm up and it should help you feel less sore during exercise.

Don't worry. With regular exercise the soreness eventually subsides to just being minimally noticeable. You'll still feel it but it won't be crippling like it is now. I know the feeling. Keep up the good work.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    continue with the program.

just because you're sore doesn't mean you can't lift, just make sure that the soreness isn't affecting your form, if that is the issue, you would want to take some time off.