Pooch to 5K! But with a little dog?

Options
So I found Pooch to 5K (http://www.poochto5k.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/PoochTo5kTimed.pdf) which I am absolutely ecstatic over because I want my dog to be happy, healthy and stimulated. Honestly its pretty much identical to C25K if you have that program to begin with and I'm just about to go on my first run of the program myself. Now, I'm wondering if my 14lb dog would be good to go on this with me or not? He loves to run on our off leash walks through the woods but I'm concerned that it'll push him too hard.

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My opinion, just because your dog is little does not mean she cannot run with you but would get the advice of your vet. So many people have the misconception with little dogs that they need to be pampered, carried, pushed in strollers. Dogs are meant to mobile on their own 4 legs not matter the size! As long as he/she has no health/physical issues, start out slow and see if she likes it. I actually have a large dog but don't run with him as he has a partial tear in his MCL and he would stop to smell every 5 feet! Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Whether he's 14 lbs or 140 he's still a pack animal that loves to run (the old hunting instinct). Just like a human starting to run build up gradually and make sure you bring along water, dogs don't have the luxury of perspiring to cool down.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've just been shown this website as we are getting a puppy next month & as I run would like him to eventually come out with me so would be interested in how you get on!! He's a fox terrier so also not a big dog. Will have to wait a while til he's a few months old mind but am looking forward to it!! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a 13lb rat terrier & read that they need at least 30 minutes of good exercise a day. I don't take her on my runs because my route tends to have a lot of really bad stickers (I usually pull about 20 of them from the soles of my shoes when I'm done!), and I'd be picking stickers from my dogs' feet if I brought them along (I have a black lab, too).

If you're building up the distance (pooch to 5k is hilarious!), I would think the dog would be just fine - I would only worry about the paws if you're going to be on terrain your pup isn't used to. What kind of dog do you have?
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've just been shown this website as we are getting a puppy next month & as I run would like him to eventually come out with me so would be interested in how you get on!! He's a fox terrier so also not a big dog. Will have to wait a while til he's a few months old mind but am looking forward to it!! Good luck :flowerforyou:

Good point about waiting until the dog is a few months old... I actually think they should be close to a year because there muscles/joints are still developing. Again, please be sure to check with your vet.
  • Miztake
    Miztake Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have two little dogs(10 lbs. each) that love to run with me. Unfortunately my runs are too long now for me to bring them most of the time, but they had "trained" enough at one point to go more than 4 miles. I was able to take them where I could run them off leash and could better gauge their stamina. If they were running ahead of me or stopping to sniff then sprinting to catch up or chasing each other and playing as we ran I figured they still had lots of energy. I was also willing to stop and walk them or cut my run short whenever I thought they needed it, which was rarely, but did happen on warmer days. I also thought it was prudent to not run them on consecutive days. A dog will run himself to exhaustion and injury to not be "left" behind, but if you are diligent about monitoring his progress and talk to your vet about any suggestions they may have, you will find running with them strengthens the bond the two of you already have.
  • wyldling
    wyldling Posts: 35
    Options
    So I took him with me. I was more worried that he wouldn't be able to keep up and would over exhaust himself trying to because he will run himself until exhaustion. He has always been treated like a big dog and still acts like a pup but at 10 years old I get concerned that I push him too much for a technically elderly shih tzu. I did take off his leash since the trail I run on is a labyrinth through the woods by my house and let him have free range like we do on our walks so when I ran he just kept at his pace then would catch up when I walked. He is pretty exhausted and a couple times I had to stop the jog just so I could keep him in my sights. Seems that the early weeks will be fine but the later ones when the jogging distance increases I know he won't be able to keep up with the pace. But it was definitely a pleasurable experience to stop and call for him then see a happy panting dog face running up to me.

I checked his paws when I did a tick check and they seem to be alright since it was mud, dirt and sand we were running on. I don't think I'd try this on pavement or gravel though because he tends to drag his paws when he runs and I'd hate for him to get bloodied up.

I've worked with dogs exclusively for the past 5 years as a dog walker and at a couple kennels. I definitely do not baby my little dog as I've seen people do (many dogs have appalling behavior because of that). Hes trained appropriately but to me it makes sense to wonder about the distance and speed for a smaller dog in comparison to a larger dog or a human because a small dog has a smaller stride requiring more steps to travel the same distance.
  • runwithdogs
    Options
    Hi! I run the Pooch to 5k site (if you'll forgive the pun!), and I just wanted to let you know about a little Tenterfield Terrier called Gaige who just three weeks ago finished our program. He loved it and is now working towards 10k with his owner. Also, you'll be interested to read about Charlie, the Westie that has a 1 hour 44 minute half marathon, better than anything I've ever done! http://www.poochto5k.com/running-buddy-of-the-month-december-2011.html

I agree with waiting until close to 12 months before starting running although small breeds mature quicker and giant breeds are better off waiting until 18 months.

Little dogs can run very well, but as you have mentioned, keep an eye on how your dog is coping and chat with your vet if you have any concerns. That applies to dogs of any size tho'.

Have fun :-)