Body Fat Test?

Options
2»

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    If you go to the YMCA it costs $10 where I am, but I've heard others say they'll do it for free.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    From working with these different forms of tests for years ( I work as a Certified Athletic Trainer at a small college in Kentucky), I can tell you that the scales with percentages and random website calculations are fairly inaccurate. The 3 best forms of testing a via a bod pod, hydrostatic weighing, and by using manual calipers.

Bod pod is definitely my favorite - you sit in an egg shape capsule that uses air displacement. Although easy, it's an expensive piece of equipment and not everyone has access to one.

Hydrostatic weighing - for a long time this was the method of choice - basically you get dunked into a tank full of water and the water displacement is measured. There is room for error here however, as there is a technique for how to hold your breath that people aren't always successful with - also, not everyone has access to one.

Manual calipers - this is the method I use on my athletes in calculating BMI. The biggest problem with this method (in my opinion) is human error. This is a skill that requires patience and practice to do accurately. Thankfully, I've had experience here from years of working wrestling, and my margin of error is fairly low. Also, with this method you have to determine which equation to use and there are a variety that utilize caliper readings on different body locations, number of sites, etc...

Finally, to address the hand held devices, which is known as bioelectrical impedence. I think these suck..end of story. Yes, they're fairly inexpensive, and yes you can do it yourself...but I'm unimpressed with their accuracy. If you really want an accurate reading, have it done professionally and do it in the morning before you've eaten, it provides the most accurate results.

Best answer
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use a site that seems to be a lot more accurate than most. In fact the BMI I got from the site was within 1% of the BMI my physical therapist got using a float tank. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've done BodPod ($25 at a university) and Omron ($30 on Amazon).

I used the Omron the same day as BodPod and they were 1.5% apart, well within the margin of error. Now I look at the Omron for overall trends, and know that my BodPod percentage is probably just under what the Omron says. I'll schedule another BodPod test at the end of the summer.

Google around for body fat testing facilities near you. You might find a BodPod at a university or wellness center for use by the public for a fee.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Any number of scales will show you body fat along with your weight, and they are very consistent day-to-day if you weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating or drinking. Any since they are so inexpensive now, I'm amazed that there are folks that still don't have one. For my weight loss journey, it's been a critical way to track progress and keep me motivated!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options

Best answer

You don't want to argue it? lol, most people do when I say something smart =)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    From working with these different forms of tests for years ( I work as a Certified Athletic Trainer at a small college in Kentucky), I can tell you that the scales with percentages and random website calculations are fairly inaccurate. The 3 best forms of testing a via a bod pod, hydrostatic weighing, and by using manual calipers.

Bod pod is definitely my favorite - you sit in an egg shape capsule that uses air displacement. Although easy, it's an expensive piece of equipment and not everyone has access to one.

Hydrostatic weighing - for a long time this was the method of choice - basically you get dunked into a tank full of water and the water displacement is measured. There is room for error here however, as there is a technique for how to hold your breath that people aren't always successful with - also, not everyone has access to one.

Manual calipers - this is the method I use on my athletes in calculating BMI. The biggest problem with this method (in my opinion) is human error. This is a skill that requires patience and practice to do accurately. Thankfully, I've had experience here from years of working wrestling, and my margin of error is fairly low. Also, with this method you have to determine which equation to use and there are a variety that utilize caliper readings on different body locations, number of sites, etc...

Finally, to address the hand held devices, which is known as bioelectrical impedence. I think these suck..end of story. Yes, they're fairly inexpensive, and yes you can do it yourself...but I'm unimpressed with their accuracy. If you really want an accurate reading, have it done professionally and do it in the morning before you've eaten, it provides the most accurate results.
    A belly measurement is worth more to me than all that expensive, time consuming gadgetry.
    Anyway, if you want to track progress, use body measurements, and if you have the time and money, go with whatever.
    I like to keep things simple.
    Neck - Waist -- DONE!
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I use a site that seems to be a lot more accurate than most. In fact the BMI I got from the site was within 1% of the BMI my physical therapist got using a float tank. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/

Gosh, I wish that site were accurate LOL: Your body fat percentage is 27.6%.

The site posted earlier estimated 43%. I suspect the 43% is closer.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A belly measurement is worth more to me than all that expensive, time consuming gadgetry.
    Anyway, if you want to track progress, use body measurements, and if you have the time and money, go with whatever.
    I like to keep things simple.
    Neck - Waist -- DONE!

I like the idea of simple as well, as well as the idea of taking some measurements. My jeans have gone from waist 35" to 30" so I'm pretty sure we're in sync there.

But "time consuming gadgetry"? LOL, honestly, is stepping on a scale and waiting 3 seconds too much effort and technology?

The OP wants to know her body fat, I'm guessing it's because she's interested in losing some, but hasn't yet invested $30 in a scale that will also show her body fat.

They aren't time travel devices from a robot future, they're available at Target! :-)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Buy one and do it yourself :)
  • tonyrd3000
    tonyrd3000 Posts: 20
    Options
    If you go to the BodPod website, it will show you locations near you. I need to get one scheduled myself. Also, last time I got my bodyfat calipered it showed as 26% (yuck), but the trainer on base told me not to get to wrapped around the axle. Some people carry their fat over the muscle (me :( ) and some carry it under the muscle (him, he even said he can carry a fat bloated belly and still show definition). Big thing is consistently using the same test to track it. As far as the bioimpedance, the only time I have trusted them was in the late 90s in Florida. The base had one where you laid on a yoga mat and they attached a sensor to your hand and one to your foot. Was within 1% of what calipers showed on the same day. I have not found the handheld one's to be anywhere close to being that accurate.
  • crobl
    Options
    If you go to the BodPod website, it will show you locations near you. I need to get one scheduled myself. Also, last time I got my bodyfat calipered it showed as 26% (yuck), but the trainer on base told me not to get to wrapped around the axle. Some people carry their fat over the muscle (me :( ) and some carry it under the muscle (him, he even said he can carry a fat bloated belly and still show definition). Big thing is consistently using the same test to track it. As far as the bioimpedance, the only time I have trusted them was in the late 90s in Florida. The base had one where you laid on a yoga mat and they attached a sensor to your hand and one to your foot. Was within 1% of what calipers showed on the same day. I have not found the handheld one's to be anywhere close to being that accurate.

Very good point about the calipers.... on some of my soccer players it's close to impossible to get a thigh reading because they have such muscular thighs!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I get that tracking change is important. I do that with my weight (since my Dr's office scale will always be around 5 lbs. heavier than mine). But I consider that small of a difference acceptable. 20% difference? Not acceptable for me. I'm a data person. That kind of variance just makes me cringe LOL.

Just found the Bod Pod at the University here charges $75. I think I'll have it done. Then I'll have it done again next year.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Some people like to say that a body fat scale and the Omron Handheld Body Fat monitor are inaccurate, but why are they inaccurate? If a person's weight on their own scale is 1 to 2 pounds less or more than the pounds on their doctor's scale, which scale is right? My home scale has shown a different weight than my doctor's scale. I trust my scale.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think any device that gives you dependable results you can track is a good one! Who's to say which one is more accurate?
  • crobl
    Options
    scientific research and years of practice says which one is right...
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    scientific research and years of practice says which one is right...

And which one is right?