What do you think about taking a break?

Options
I've been doing MFP since the birth of my son three months ago. I've lost about 30 pounds, am in the high healthy weight category for my height (both by weight and BMI), but I have about 10 more pounds I'd like to take off. I'm thinking about taking a break for a week or so. I'm just tired and not very motivated right now. We eat a whole foods, healthy diet, so I'm not talking about eating Ben and Jerry's or McDonalds, just not counting calories for a week or so. Do you think this is a good idea for gettting re-motivated, or is it a slippery slope?

Replies

• rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I think it's a fine idea. I actually stopped counting calories several months ago--I just eat more mindfully and exercise a lot. And I'm still slowly losing weight. (I'm also at a healthy weight but would like to lose a few, just for vanity's sake.) Give it a try and see how it goes. And 30 pounds is GREAT.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i think you should still count them, but just eat what you want.
  • Tkzk
    Tkzk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe just change your settings to "maintain" for a week? When I switched to maintain I went from 1200 to 1500 calories, which felt like a huge difference in the amount I could eat.

I think it's worthwhile to still measure and count calories regardless. It doesn't take long, and it's basically just involving your brain in what you put in your mouth. It shouldn't be depressing or whatever, just making yourself aware of stuff.

I think it's a psychological thing. Some people like shopping without looking at the prices--I want to know exactly what I'm spending even if it's an expensive full-price thing.

You know yourself best! I just think I would be sad to go "off" counting for a week and then see that you gained rather than maintained.