rookie

Options
Hi Everyone, I am not sure if today's a good day to start but I will give it my best shot. I am currently 195lbs with an extremely high BMI of 39 so I realise I must do something about my weight. The summer is coming up and I am tired of carrying around these extra pounds. I am turning 40 in October so I would like to lose at least 3 dress sizes before my big day, I am currently a size 16. Does anyone think this is possible? I went to Walmat today and tried on some pants and I looked terrible so that is why I need to start today I have a love for food and I find it hard to limit my portion sizes especially if I enjoy the food. I am a mature student embarking on a new career in the health industry so I feel I should be a good example and shed my excess pounds and look just as good as the younger students in my class. I enjoy exercising but always find excuses not to do it. I am either studying, helping my sons with their homework or doing house chores which never ends. Monday is usually the day I start my diets but I thought no I should start today. So far I have been successful at school so I don't see why this area in my life can not be successful too. My sons are 12 and 10 and I have been carrying extra weight for all of their lives but now when I look at my stomach I look like I could be at least 5/6 months pregnancy. I need some encouragement and support from fellow dieters so we can get through this journey. This is definately going to be my year as I am sure many more dieters out there will too.

Thanks for reading my introduction.::blushing:

Replies

• allikay
    allikay Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am not sure if today's a good day to start but I will give it my best shot. I am currently 195lbs with an extremely high BMI of 39 so I realise I must do something about my weight. The summer is coming up and I am tired of carrying around these extra pounds. I am turning 40 in October so I would like to lose at least 3 dress sizes before my big day, I am currently a size 16. Does anyone think this is possible? I went to Walmat today and tried on some pants and I looked terrible so that is why I need to start today I have a love for food and I find it hard to limit my portion sizes especially if I enjoy the food. I am a mature student embarking on a new career in the health industry so I feel I should be a good example and shed my excess pounds and look just as good as the younger students in my class. I enjoy exercising but always find excuses not to do it. I am either studying, helping my sons with their homework or doing house chores which never ends. Monday is usually the day I start my diets but I thought no I should start today. So far I have been successful at school so I don't see why this area in my life can not be successful too. My sons are 12 and 10 and I have been carrying extra weight for all of their lives but now when I look at my stomach I look like I could be at least 5/6 months pregnancy. I need some encouragement and support from fellow dieters so we can get through this journey. This is definately going to be my year as I am sure many more dieters out there will too.

Thanks for reading my introduction.::blushing:
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi allikay! Welcome to just the site you need! The more you are here and ask questions and read other's posts, you will start to realize what a good place this is. There are all ages, types, numbers of pounds to lose! :grumble: But the main thing is that we are all learning how to eat healthier and change bad habits and encouraging each other along the way. Use the site as intended by logging all of you food and exercise, and you can't help but be motivated by your progress, too! I recommend reading a bunch of the posts on the message board to get a jump-start! And YES, YES, YES!!! I think that your goal is very doable! Even if you only make it down 2 sizes, wow! what an accomplishment! And a wonderful example to your sons! Welcome and a Panamanian coffee salute to you! :drinker:

Debbie
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, just yell if you need any help, lots here that ready to support you.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Today is always a great day to start!! :smile:

Turning 40 was my motivating factor too. You can do it!!! :drinker:
  • lexi1015
    lexi1015 Posts: 29
    Options
    Welcome! Anyday is a good day to start!

It is possible to loose that by your time period. Just try a few things: drink plenty of water - that will help fillyou up.Start walking, and find a support group. What I ended up doing was joined my sons karate dojang. I have been in it for a little over a year and found good friends who are in the same boat as me. We call each other and force each other to go to class - no matter how tired we are.

Good luck! And remember ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!!!!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, just yell if you need any help, lots here that ready to support you.

+1 to that.

That's what we are all here for. :wink:
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    welcome!!!:flowerforyou:
  • allikay
    Options
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words :love:
  • allikay
    Options
    Thank you I will ask for help when I need it
  • allikay
    Options
    Thanks I understand I must drink water and that will help fill me up
  • allikay
    Options
    Yes they say life begins at 40. How are you getting on and when did you start
  • allikay
    Options
    Thanks for welcoming me
  • allikay
    Options
    Thanks your son is gorgeous