SAUNA SUITS! SAFE OR NOT?

Options
hey guys i have recently bought a sauna suit to work out in occasionally to help me sweat a little bit harder, and get rid of some access water. i did some research online this morning and several sites were saying that sauna suits are not good becauce u will sweat too much and could have heat stroke, no site said they would reccomend using one! so what the heck, what do u guys think? is that a little dramatic? if u excercise in it sometimes and not in extreme heat wouldnt it b fine? i mean people have worked out an then gone to sit inside the sauna room at the gym for years! do u use a sauna or sit in a steam room? what do u guys think?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    it's very easy to dehydrate yourself or overheat.

sweating more isn't going to burn enough extra calories to make an impact on your actual weight. you'll lose your water weight, but as soon as you rehydrate back to a healthy level, the weight comes back.

I wouldn't reccommend using the suit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    Water weight isn't fat weight. Dump the suit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Ditch the suit, unless you are trying to make weight for wrestling. All the extra water you sweat (which your body needs), you'll replace when you drink anyway.
  • mzdavis2706
    Options
    I use mine, but i also workout In my home and i dont always wear it. I would say 4 out of the 6 days i work out.I love it personally.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Ditch the suit, unless you are trying to make weight for wrestling. All the extra water you sweat (which your body needs), you'll replace when you drink anyway.

this.

People who are trying to cut weight short term use sweat suits, it doesn't have a lasting effect and they can be dangerous.
    You dehydrate quickly.
  • Tkzk
    Tkzk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, sweating doesn't really do anything good for you other than cool your body or make you feel good, if you like the feeling of sweating. You NEED water. You need to drink a lot of it all the time. If you sweat it out, you've got to drink even more.

When people talk about getting rid of water retention, I think that's more of a dietary change. For example, cut way back on your sodium, and you will lose "water weight" because consuming lots of sodium (salty stuff) makes you hold onto the water. You know how you feel kind of bloated the day after eating something really salty like pizza? That's because pizza has a lot of sodium, so your body is holding onto a lot of water to help absorb it into your body.
  • prettyblack69
    Options
    thanks guys for the input, sounds like i wasted my money!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    I use mine, but i also workout In my home and i dont always wear it. I would say 4 out of the 6 days i work out.I love it personally.
    If your body doesn't cool correctly (that's why you sweat) then heatstroke/heat exhaustion can happen. If you aren't sweating enough (if that's what you feel) when you work out, then you aren't working out hard enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition