What would you do?

Options
Foxypoo61287
Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
I was listening to the radio today, and one of the shows I listen to is "Phone Tap", well if you don't know what "Phone Tap" is here is a brief description: Someone calls a relative, friend or SO with some bogus news about themselves. This was today's "Phone Tap"
A girl , who is away at college, calls her mother and tells her that she has broken up with her long time boyfriend. And her mom is clearly sad for her daughter, and her mother is questioning what happened. Her daughter tells her there was someone else. She then tells her mother that it's her professor. And she want's to bring her professor down to meet her family and she really likes her professor. Her mother starts yelling at her telling her no way is her professor coming down. The daughter tells her mother that the professor is going to call her later and talk to her because she is excited about going. Well she hangs up the phone. Then the radio host calls the mother acting like the professor. The radio host is female. The mother starts flipping out on the said professor. She ends up hanging up & the daughter calls her back and is like OH MY GOD MOM WHAT DID YOU DO! SHE IS SO HURT I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU! etc. Then in the middle of the conversation both chime in saying she had just been phone tapped on such & such radio show....

Now, what would you do if that situation arose with you & your child. Not the phone tap part, but that your child was seeing their professor and that professor turned out to be the same sex as your child? What would you do?

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I beat the crap out of the professor for taking advantage of my daughter.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    But what if your daughter pursued the teacher? Not for grades, but seriously?
  • annabobbleuk
    annabobbleuk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would have a chat to her and explain the consequences, and if she still doesn't listen I'd let her learn from her own mistakes. Trouble is with 'youngsters' today (god I'm sounding old now) they think they know it all when clearly they don't, parents are there to guide their kids but when they get to a certain age (especially if she's away at college) parents don't have any control so she'll need to learn for herself. If it all fell apart I'd be there for her though no matter what and I wouldn't under any circumstances do the 'i told you so'
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I'd be fine with it.... maybe more with the same sex part than the professor part. Though, if someone is willing to risk their job and be open about their relationship, then no one is taking advantage of anyone. The professor is put in a pretty vulnerable spot by meeting the parents, so the feelings would not be questioned. If my child is of age, I have no say.... I can give my opinion, but I can't judge.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I beat the crap out of the professor for taking advantage of my daughter.

You'd beat up a woman?
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The whole person-of-authority-taking-advantage-of-their-position part aside, I don't care who my children grow up to love. As long as they are loved in return and they are happy, I'm happy!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    probably laugh for a few days lol
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on the situation...how old my daughter is, how old the professor is...etc. Ultimately though if my daughter is an adult I can't do much about it, especially if she is happy.