Gym when sick!?!?!?!

Options
Good Morning all

Handle this i am just getting into Routine agian and I can feel I am starting to get sick! I am going to pharmacy to get some meds now now and start drinking them, it hasnt hit my respitory system yet! Do you think I can still gym, Ill take it easy, maybe just cycle for 20min or something!?!

What are your thoughts?

I can not get sick badly and be out of gym three weeks or something again!?!:sad:

Replies

• MissLynne10
    MissLynne10 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In my past experience, working out when I'm not feeling good or getting sick just makes things worse. It takes longer to get back to my regular self and I just become more tired. I think it's important to give your body the rest it needs, or else you could do more damage than good.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    Please don't spread it. Take some time off. Walk, push ups, yoga are fine when you are sickly.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i have the flu.
    i did 30 day shred today.
    i was sweating SO BADLY afterwards.

don't go to the gym tho, just workout at home if you're going to.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Take a break. Just be mindful that you are not burning the same amount of calories as normal and adjust your diet accordingly.

Also I take Echinacea when I can feel I'm starting to get sick and it helps me kick it faster!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    don't forget the neti pot!
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A head cold or sniffles, if I'm not absolutely miserable, I will work out. If it's a chest cold or a fever, I rest.

But, if I'm sick I go outside or do something at home. Otherwise you pass around the same stuff over and over at the gym.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Take a break! I am sick right now, and havent properly exercised since last Friday. :smile:
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! :) Maybe I should just go for a walk tonight!? I hate being outta gym! I really do! I am taking echinaeforce! GREAT STUFF! gonna get some other meds to try nip this in the bud! Really cant get sick now!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, it always bothers me to see someone hacking up a lung or sweating out the flu on a machine right before I have to use that machine. Especially if a few days later myself or one of my clients gets sick. Likewise how would you feel if you were healthy and was on the treadmill next to someone who is obviously ill. Then you catch it from them.

You need energy to workout. Your body needs energy to fight off infections and illness. Energy can't be created nor destroyed. So working out while sick isn't a great choice. Get some rest and get your energy back!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't horribly sick and/or contagious, if you want to workout, then workout.

If you're tired, take the rest and recover.
  • MissKTMc
    MissKTMc Posts: 49
    Options
    As an exercise scientist, the worst thing you can do when your sick is workout. Your need to allow adequate recovery from exercise alone and you certainly won't get that when sick. Not only will you prolong the illness, you will also see diminished results from the gym! Go for a gentle walk, not so much for the exercise but to boost your immune system. When your back on your feet, review your training plan. Exercise encourages your immune system but working out in a gym with poor ventilation and other sick people is counter productive. Try to incorporate some outdoor activity into your training programme.

Get well soon :)
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    So i think that I shall skip gym and maybe go for a walk or something! I am not madly sick yet! I have a wicked event(12km obstacle course) to train for in October and I cannot afford to be out of action long! so rest it is! Thanks guys
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I read on here a few weeks ago that exercise actually helps to stave off oncoming infections by reproducing fever-like qualities in your body when your blood is flowing and your temperature rises and killing bacteria. That being said, I wouldn't go to the gym to spread it if you think it's possible at all that you are contagious, but maybe a run outside or a workout at home wouldn't be a bad idea? It sounds like you're not so sick yet that you need to worry about overdoing it. Once it comes to the point of making you tired, get some rest. Until then, I'd say use it as a tool to keep from becoming more sick!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Stay home and get some rest. You need it and no one else wants to get sick either. You'll be back in the gym in no time so just rest when you need to.

I skipped my Monday night weights and Tuesday morning cardio because I was just too tired. My body was really pretty exhausted so I listed to it and took it easy. Did weights last night and cardio this morning and felt great. Some times you just need to rest. When you're sick is one of those times.

Get well soon.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Stay home!
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I just wanted to agree with most of what's been said.

1. If you're ill, serious exercise can easily make you remain ill that much longer, which I'm sure you don't want. If you only slightly sick (as in, not really sure you're sick yet), a very casual walk might actually be good, but even then, nothing vigorous.

2. Please, please, please, even if you have nothing more than a suspicion that you might be coming down with something, do not bring it to the gym. I can't even begin to imagine how much more quickly something would spread at gym. I shudder just thinking about the possibility of workout within spitting distance of someone contagious.

3. Also, remember than when you're sick, your immune system is likely compromised, leaving you vulnerable to picking up another person's germs or viriuses or whatever. If you go to the gym, you run the risk of picking up something else in addition to what you've already got. I'm sure you can agree that would be bad. :smile:
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If you are running fever...don't go.
    If you are blowing stuff out off your head that shouldn't be there...don't go.
    If you are having an allergy attack...go, if you can breathe.

If there is any thought that you might be contagious, please do everyone a favor and stay home.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    So this one time I had a cold, and was tired and felt like **** but decided to be a warrior and do my workout anyways...

Was doing a scull crusher with a loose dumbell (you know the ones you can add weight too, I usually adjust them before I use them but clearly I wasn't paying attention) and BOOM, dumbell falls apart and lands on my face. Busted my tooth, my lip, my eye and my ego. I didn't break anything but I had a chipped tooth for 3 months and a shiner for a few days,

Moral of the story... if you aint 100%, don't work out.

True story
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Please don't spread it. Take some time off. Walk, push ups, yoga are fine when you are sickly.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amazingcece
    Options
    Stay home! I hope you feel better soon.