Pushups

Options

Replies

• confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think wall pushups are a good start, and then you could move to using a bench for pushups, and eventually end up on the floor doing as many regular pushups as you can. You will get stronger if you keep at it! I love pushups! Now pullups, that's a different story.

I've been doing about 75 a day. 3 sets of 25 on the wall, and although I have been feeling it I just wasn't sure it was doing me much good...
  • bleumanchu
    bleumanchu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your opinion on Tony Horton (personally, I love the guy, but I know he can be polarizing), here's a YouTube video that totally changed the way my wife went about doing push-ups when we do P90X together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NFVD7-2dx0
  • confettibetti
    Options
    I couldn't do many proper pushups to begin with. When I started with my lifting program, I started doing my pushups on the stairs. Started at the 4th step up, then next time moved to the 3rd step, then down to the 2nd. I'm now on proper pushups.

Awesome, I like this step idea!!!
  • confettibetti
    Options
    Regardless of your opinion on Tony Horton (personally, I love the guy, but I know he can be polarizing), here's a YouTube video that totally changed the way my wife went about doing push-ups when we do P90X together.

Thank you!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    ANY push-up that stresses your muscle is good.
    And don't let the resident "experts" tell you otherwise.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Whats a negative? :-)

The half of the exercise where gravity is doing the pulling and you're just resisting it. In push ups it would be lowering yourself down very slowly. It's not as hard as the up half of the exercise but it still works the exact same muscles. So lower yourself very slowly then cheat and get back to the starting position and repeat till you've done a full set.

^ This is very helpful. Thanks, O Wise Waffle...
  • confettibetti
    Options
    Not sure if someone already suggested this but try to put a blanket or a towel under your knees when you are doing the pushups it helps or at least it helped me until I was able to do them on my feet and not my knees. GL!

Yes, I think I will do this, I know the floor is much better for my core and arms, Im just a wimp right now! LOL
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    you can lift weights as well, I lift 2 pound ones, and it helps me.

There was something on yahoo about it yesterday.

heres the link...

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/15-minute-armed-summer-workout-154800139.html

i'm doing it and my arms used to be floppy and now they are toned. hope it helps... :)
  • confettibetti
    Options
    ANY push-up that stresses your muscle is good.
    And don't let the resident "experts" tell you otherwise.

Thanks :) The wall pushups do make my arms kinda shaky at the 25/30 mark
  • confettibetti
    Options
    you can lift weights as well, I lift 2 pound ones, and it helps me.

There was something on yahoo about it yesterday.

heres the link...

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/15-minute-armed-summer-workout-154800139.html

i'm doing it and my arms used to be floppy and now they are toned. hope it helps... :)

Oh thank you! I can't wait to have toned arms!!! :-)
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Great recommendations, think I will put some of these ideas to use also.
  • confettibetti
    Options
    Try also folding a yoga mat a few times over and then doing on your knees. For me, this makes a huge difference.

Thanks much!!!
  • confettibetti
    Options
    Great recommendations, think I will put some of these ideas to use also.

woot!!! yeah love that we are helping each other out!!!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Wow, thanks for this! After not being able to do a single pushup on day 1, I can now do most of the pushups on day 31 (of course we're only doing Power 90 at the moment). This of course is on my knees. No mas! I can't wait to try this technique tomorrow morning on my pushups! Whenever I try them on my toes, I definitely go down much lower than he says and then I struggle coming back up. I'm sure I drive the toes and not the heels, too.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just wondering what your thoughts are on "wall pushups" instead of "floor pushups"? I am not strong enough to do military style pushups yet, and doing it the other way hurts my knees... Is it as effective? I need to remove some.. ah-hem flab from my arms...:-) Thanks in advance!

You want to get rid of flab from your arms? Pushups aren't the best way to go - they mostly work your pecs, triceps and deltoids. Not that you shouldn't do them, but they won't help the most for what you want.
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi all! Just wondering what your thoughts are on "wall pushups" instead of "floor pushups"? I am not strong enough to do military style pushups yet, and doing it the other way hurts my knees... Is it as effective? I need to remove some.. ah-hem flab from my arms...:-) Thanks in advance!

Can you do one traditional push up? Have you tried? No derogitory inflection, I am asking with a serious tone. If you havent, then you should try. If you can do one full push up then do that one, daily, add to it, even if it is one and the second one is only 1/4 way back up, most people can do one push up. If you cant complete one, do as much of the full rep as you can, if that means the negative and exerting to go up, but not moving then so be it, one day very soon you will start to be able to push yourself up and you will be on cloud nine. So much of a push up is mental, so much of a good hard core work out is mental! The push up is a complete total body exercise, it engages a lot of muscle groups, concentrate on form, its important You need to breath, if it is tough and you dont HEAR your self breath then you probably are holding your breath which will hinder your ability to push up. From years of experience (Im soft and flabby now but on the road to changing back) you have to do the push up, it will not only build your strength but your confidence. So see if you can do that ONE full push up and then do more a different way. In my opinion you will not see results you want from a wall push up, you have to have resistance. My experience and knowledge come from not ebing able to a damn upper body exercise, to being able to push up more than I could count, hang on a pull bar with my chin over the bar for 60+ seconds, and doing 5 pull ups in 13 week (Marine Corps Boot Camp) The biggest thing is just do it. Recently I started JM30DS and couldn't do a proper push up (pissed me off) now I am up to 5 and I have only done the workout 13 times. You want this? You got this! You just need the right mental attitude. :) Good Luck!!
  • confettibetti
    Options

I just did 10 of these in a row!!! holy, I'm gonna be toned in no time! Thanks so much!
  • confettibetti
    Options

Can you do one traditional push up? Have you tried? No derogitory inflection, I am asking with a serious tone. If you havent, then you should try. If you can do one full push up then do that one, daily, add to it, even if it is one and the second one is only 1/4 way back up, most people can do one push up. If you cant complete one, do as much of the full rep as you can, if that means the negative and exerting to go up, but not moving then so be it, one day very soon you will start to be able to push yourself up and you will be on cloud nine. So much of a push up is mental, so much of a good hard core work out is mental! The push up is a complete total body exercise, it engages a lot of muscle groups, concentrate on form, its important You need to breath, if it is tough and you dont HEAR your self breath then you probably are holding your breath which will hinder your ability to push up. From years of experience (Im soft and flabby now but on the road to changing back) you have to do the push up, it will not only build your strength but your confidence. So see if you can do that ONE full push up and then do more a different way. In my opinion you will not see results you want from a wall push up, you have to have resistance. My experience and knowledge come from not ebing able to a damn upper body exercise, to being able to push up more than I could count, hang on a pull bar with my chin over the bar for 60+ seconds, and doing 5 pull ups in 13 week (Marine Corps Boot Camp) The biggest thing is just do it. Recently I started JM30DS and couldn't do a proper push up (pissed me off) now I am up to 5 and I have only done the workout 13 times. You want this? You got this! You just need the right mental attitude. :) Good Luck!!

Thanks!!! I just watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NFVD7-2dx0 and was able to do 10 in a row... what an accomplishment for me!!!
  • confettibetti
    Options

You want to get rid of flab from your arms? Pushups aren't the best way to go - they mostly work your pecs, triceps and deltoids. Not that you shouldn't do them, but they won't help the most for what you want.

Ok! What is the best way to go? :happy:
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Ok! What is the best way to go? :happy:

Take a look at some of these exercises - they'll really work triceps (if you're concerned about the back of your arms): http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/10/muscle/triceps

If you think you have big arms overall, try kettle bell exercises.