Ex smokers please HELP!

Options
I eat well and I am quite active but I can't seem to quit smoking. It's the only thing keeping me from being all around healthy. I really want to quit but damn it's hard. I would really appreciate any advice from those who have managed to kick this gross habit. thanks :)

Replies

• nickip
    nickip Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat well and I am quite active but I can't seem to quit smoking. It's the only thing keeping me from being all around healthy. I really want to quit but damn it's hard. I would really appreciate any advice from those who have managed to kick this gross habit. thanks :)
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think the key is truly wanting to quit. If you know you should, and want to, but want NOT to more, then you won't do it.

I quit and restarted a bunch of times. But when I got on MFP and started exercising and all that, I suddenly REALLY didn't want to smoke anymore.

So I haven't since. :smile: Just remember, nicotine is a drug, yes, but most of it is IN YOUR HEAD. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I really think that's the truth.

GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I think the key is truly wanting to quit. If you know you should, and want to, but want NOT to more, then you won't do it.

I quit and restarted a bunch of times. But when I got on MFP and started exercising and all that, I suddenly REALLY didn't want to smoke anymore.

So I haven't since. :smile: Just remember, nicotine is a drug, yes, but most of it is IN YOUR HEAD. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I really think that's the truth.

GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:

QFT. (Quoted for truth) Not much more I have to add to that. :smile:
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I used Chantix to help me quit smoking and to me it was a miracle drug! It is expensive, but in my opinion it was so worth it!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I quit last June....am almost going on one year. I used the patch for one month and for the first two weeks an herbal cigarette that does not have nicotine (honeyrose).

If you are just beginning to lose weight, however, I would suggest doing only one per time as you would get really, really stressed trying to do both. If you are already active though and ready to quit, you just need to find the way that works for you.

I managed to maintain my weight during the first year, but did not lose nor gain anything. Now I am trying to lose some extra weight from before since I am sure that I have 'kicked' the habit.

I will tell you that after one month, I noticed a HUGE difference in my breathing. Going on one year, it's incredible how much better I feel. It is worth it....there is nothing good about smoking.....it's just scary to think of yourself without it, but you can do it!

If you decide to try and need some support or any more advice, I am more than willing to help!

GOOD LUCK!
  • jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i smoked for 15 years and stopped and started again multiple times. here is how i finally quit:

1. i stopped smoking completely and i spent a month basically locked in my house, except for work. i only left when i had to. i started a big sewing project so i would have something to do with my hands.

2. i ate a tangerine whenever i normally had a cigarette, like on breaks at work.

3. nicotine gum. the candy-coated mint and fruit chills are the best, they taste good. (it has been almost a year, and i still chew a ton of gum. )

that is my best advice. the biggest part is not being too socially active for a while, it is too hard to not smoke when you are around smokers.

good luck!
  • lexi1015
    lexi1015 Posts: 29
    Options
    When I quit I first cut down. For example when I got in the car to go to work (20 min drive) I would lite up as soon as I got in - I decided to wait til I got closer to work then light one up. I did that for a week, then I tried lighting one up when I got closer still til finally I would light one up right at work take a drag then put it out and then finally stopped. I would also not take my smoke breaks during the day either I would do the same thing and cut that out one at a time. It took me a while I am not kidding you but I have finally kicked the habit for about 4 1/2 to 5 months smoke free - but my husband still smokes and the only time I catch myself taking one now is when I drink. So needless to say I try not to drink that often also .

Just rememeber to take one step at a time and it is not easy but you can do it. :smile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    For me it was the realization that I didn't really like smoking... even though I kept buying cigs I never really liked the flavor of the smoke, and I hated how my lungs felt immediately after. So, I just kept focusing on that. Then I set myself a quit date, and bought a last pack. I made it stretch until the quit date, and afterwards, that was that. I had my last cig driving home from work that day and i've only had one tobacco product since - a cigar when my last nephew was born :)
  • rmaddox
    rmaddox Posts: 1
    Options
    If you want to bad enough, you will stop. Just like anything else in life, if you just make it happen, it happens. Be the person you want to be and then miraculously you will become her.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have quit twice now. Each time is because I truly truly wanted too and the only reason I ever restarted was because I didn't have any inner strength and I gave into not peer pressure and not so much temptation but just a force of habit.

I told myself that who cares if most of your friends and co workers smoke... just stop for you because you have to take care of yourself and no one else will.

Good luck.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I couldn't quit either until I was ready. I was feeling crappy all the time and just got sick of feeling like that. I really really wanted it this time, it's been 7 weeks. You can do it!!
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I quit the day I went on vacation to see my grandmother for 2 weeks. I used the patch and just cut it in half every couple of days (I know you are not suppose to do that, but it worked for me). I always had hidden my smoking from my grandparents and other relatives. I didn't want them to know that I smoked, so it seemed like a good plan. It worked. I have been smoke free for 5 years, I think. I also ate a ton of carrots and red liquorice (similar shape --- kept my hands and my mouth busy).

I think getting out of my normal routines that seemed to focus around smoking really helped. At home, I would wake up and have my coffee ... go outside have a smoke. After lunch, it was a social thing at work. In awkward party / social situation, the smokers were always so nice and talkative. I instantly joined the group.

My suggestion is use whatever it takes. The patch, gum, go away from your routine. Even if you gain weight (which I did), you can lose it (which I did also). It is totally worth it. You can do it!
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Like many others i quit and started back many times in the 20+ years i smoked. I have won physical training awards and had a smoked right after in my younger days. What finally did it for me was the combination of several things.

1. My son, who was 7 at the time, looked up at me and said "Daddy you really need to quit smoking".
    2. I really wanted to quit this time i think.
    3. Commit Lozenges. Taste like crap but worked better than any other "replacement" i have tried.

It been almost 18 months now and in my job about 1/2 of my coworkers either smoke or chew/dip. I still want a cig (or dip) most days but i have the power to not have one.

You have the power NOT TO SMOKE but you have to exercise it. Start every day by not smoking. If you slip try again the next day.

Hope this helps.

Tim
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said, I quit many times and started again. I quit for good a little over a year ago. I got my very first traffic ticket and it came with a $300 price tag. I said to my husband, "How am I going to pay for this?" and he goes, "well you could quit smoking." The next day I was at the doctor and overheard the doctor telling a lady in the exam room next to me that she had lung cancer. It was such an emotional experience. So I quit cold turkey. Something snapped - my husband's comments, the doctor's conversation... and I just knew that it was time.

I'm not going to lie, it was ridiculously hard the first 4 months or so. But now, the smell is gross to me, I hate seeing butts on the ground, and I only have tiny little cravings for it maybe once a month after too many cocktails! hehe.

I agree with the others - when you're ready, you'll find the strength to quit. The other times I tried I was doing it for someone/something else. But I finally did it for ME.

Good luck to you!
  • paperstar
    paperstar Posts: 27
    Options
    Not sure how others feel about this, but it worked for me. I did a 3 day juice fast. After 3 days of nothing but juice and water (distilled water, and juicing fruits and veges w/my juicer), I didn't have a single craving left because the toxins were cleansed from my body. .

I actually had to do this several times, when I had a relapse, and it worked every single time.

It may take longer for some, I don't know. I was never a heavy smoker. On top of the juice fasting, however, I wanted to breathe better and just be healthier and was determined to do it. The combination worked for me!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • nickip
    nickip Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks everyone for the great advice and support. I definely think I'm really to quit. I've really started hinding my smoking, even from strangers. If that isn't a sign that I'm really to quit I don't know what is.
    Anyone have any neat tricks they used to replace the hand to mouth motion or keep busy that doesn't involve food? I'm really scared to put on weight.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hiding your smoking is a good sign! I grew really ashamed of my habit before I quit, which was part of my motivation to quit. It was antithetical to everything I stood for health-wise.

Tricks I used to replace the hand-to-mouth thing: drinking tea or water was helpful. Stay away from alcohol though - it only makes it 10 times harder to resist! I have also heard of using those stress-balls you can squeeze.

Also I just want to second people's ideas of getting out of town for your first few days to a week - disrupting your routine will make it easier. I spent a weekend with my parents, whom I was also hiding it from, so that helped. And Wellbutrin/Zyban played an important role too, I think.

You're on the right track! You can do it!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: <---(those are cups of water or tea, of course)

p.s. - even if you do put on weight, it is actually worth it. I felt so great after quitting I didn't mind the extra 5-10 lbs (I think this is what most people gain when quitting??), and this was 2.5 years ago. I don't even remember how much it was anymore, that's how little the weight mattered! :tongue:
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I'm on month 2 of no smoking. This is probably the 10th time I've quite in my life, but the first time that I havn't cheated with a puff here or a puff there. My experience is once you cheat, it all goes down hill. I quit cold turkey this time. I've been fairly successful with the patch in the past, but really it just seems to drag out the process a bit. Breaking the physical addiction happens quickly, after 1 week or so. Its the mental addiction that is really hard. You have to work through the temptations, that's the hardest part (mine is hanging out with friends who smoke while drinking). Here is what I did in order of most importance: 1) Have my husband quit at the same time (e.g. take out immidate temptation); 2) Agree to a "social contract" with my boss who wanted to lose weight. We signed an agreement, every two weeks if he doesn't lose 1.5lbs he owes me $20. I owe him $20 for every cigarette I smoke. This really worked for me, as I am honest and couldn't bare the walk of shame (or giving him $20!). 3) Avoid social situations where I knew people would be smoking for the first 2 weeks (while my body was getting rid of the addiction). After 2 weeks, I started going to BBQ's and parties again, but avoided going outside near anyone who smoked. After 3 weeks I was able to be near friends while they smoked without having any. The point is, take one temptation at a time and don't put yourself in a situation that no addicted person could make it out without cheating.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I used the drug Zyban, which was expensive, but, it worked! It kept the awful cravings away.
    I haven't smoked now for over 8 years!
    When I first quit too, I used to hold a straw, cut to the length of my cigs. (Ya, ok, it was a crutch, but, it helped!)
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I used Chantix to help me quit smoking and to me it was a miracle drug! It is expensive, but in my opinion it was so worth it!

I also took Chantix... I had tried everything there was to stop. I quit smoking 2 weeks after I started taking it. I took it for 5 weeks and then took myself off of the medication. It is a 3 month program but I was comfortable with taking myself off of it after 5 weeks. I have been smoke free since July 23rd of 2007 thanks to this medication!!

I was skeptical about it of course because so many other things failed before but I been preaching to everyone I know that smokes and says I wish I could stop... to take this medication!!

Yes, it is expensive... but count up the cost you would spend in cigarettes. I ended up spending less on the medication.

I've tried them all... wellbutrin, Zyban... all the gums, patches, lil tricks to try to fool myself. Nothing worked... I always went back to smoking.

But Chantix helped me stop like hitting a brick wall LOL

This past week really showed me why I needed to stop smoking. My sons father landed in the hospital because of pneumonia, come to find out he also had lung cancer and they had to remove 2/3 of one of his lungs. So maybe find a picture of a lung with cancer on it and tape it to your cigarette pack. Maybe that will help.

My sons told me how proud they were of me because I stopped smoking last week. That made it all worth it and I know when I think of lighting up ever again, I will think of their words and I know it will stop me from wanting another smoke ever again.

Good luck on stopping!! :flowerforyou: