Cardio make you fat???

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Middle aged soccer dad who's been carrying extra weight most of my adult life......

strong progress/10.

I love the smell of steroids in the morning....
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!! You are an inspiration
    I have done no less than 6 days of cardio for the past 3 years, have been in a calorie deficit, lift weights 3 days a week, and take 1 rest day and have went from:

This fat guy:

2009May2.jpg

To this 250 lb. guy:

DSCF0590.jpg

pretty sure I have burnt up alot of fat, even gained alittle muscle, and am pretty sure I am not fat now... Have alot of loose skin LOL but not fat..... So OP now you won't get fat doing cardio..... Best of Luck
    Awesome job!! Congrats!!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I had to read this thread because its a bit (okay a lot) ridiculous... wtf
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    I run 50+miles a week (6 days / week) with and do strength training 3x / week. I don't think I'm too fat...
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    there maybe truth to this go to the gym only the BIGS are on the treadmills...hince the terms cows on conveyor belts.

I have to say that this comment really pisses me off.
    Don't be such a jacka**
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Running has done a TON to change my body composition. In a good way. Of course, I'm nowhere near the "20 hours of cardio" that the one link referenced.

I do think I need to read a few studies the link referenced though, regarding T3 levels. Since I am already hypothyroid, I suppose it warrants further ACTUAL research, over random internet articles.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    OK, I just looked up the abstract for one of the studies and it actually doesn't mesh with the article linked. What the abstract says (and I don't have access to the full study to actually read the set up and statistics), is that reduction in T3 levels can be counteracted by eating more, ie eating back your exercise calories. We all know (or most of us anyway) that eating at too low of a level slows metabolism.

"Am J Physiol. 1993 May;264(5 Pt 2):R924-30.
    Induction and prevention of low-T3 syndrome in exercising women.
    Loucks AB, Callister R.
    Source
    Department of Biological Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University, Athens 45701.
    Abstract
    To investigate the influence of exercise on thyroid metabolism, 46 healthy young regularly menstruating sedentary women were randomly assigned to a 3 x 2 experimental design of aerobic exercise and energy availability treatments. Energy availability was defined as dietary energy intake minus energy expenditure during exercise. After 4 days of treatments, low energy availability (8 vs. 30 kcal.kg body wt-1.day-1) had reduced 3,5,3'-triiodothyronine (T3) by 15% and free T3 (fT3) by 18% and had increased thyroxine (T4) by 7% and reverse T3 (rT3) by 24% (all P < 0.01), whereas free T4 (fT4) was unchanged (P = 0.08). Exercise quantity (0 vs. 1,300 kcal/day) and intensity (40 vs. 70% of aerobic capacity) did not affect any thyroid hormone (all P > 0.10). That is, low-T3 syndrome was induced by the energy cost of exercise and was prevented in exercising women by increasing dietary energy intake. Selective observation of low-T3 syndrome in amenorrheic and not in regularly menstruating athletes suggests that exercise may compromise the availability of energy for reproductive function in humans. If so, athletic amenorrhea might be prevented or reversed through dietary reform without reducing exercise quantity or intensity"

And just for emphasis:
    " low-T3 syndrome was induced by the energy cost of exercise and was prevented in exercising women by increasing dietary energy intake."
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Oh, this one is interesting and AGAIN doesn't seem to mesh with the article author. This one seems to say that while thyroid function was impaired (at HUGE training capacity, far beyond what most of us here would do), the lean body mass INCREASED. So they built muscle when they increased their cardio workouts.

Thyroidal changes associated with endurance training in women.
    Boyden TW, Pamenter RW, Rotkis TC, Stanforth P, Wilmore JH.
    Abstract
    The associations between endurance training, body composition, and the pituitary-thyroid axis were studied in 17 healthy, young women. Body composition and plasma concentrations of T4, T3, rT3, resin T3 uptake, TSH, and TRH-stimulated TSH were examined at baseline and after each subject's weekly distance had increased 48 km (delta 48) and 80 km (delta 80) above baseline. Total body weight did not change at delta 48 or delta 80. Mean (+/- SE) lean weight in kg increased from 42.9 +/- 1.2 at baseline to 44.8 +/- 1.2 at delta 80 (P = 0.002). We have reported previously that at delta 48 the subjects had evidence of mild thyroidal impairment, which consisted of decreased T3 and rT3, and an exaggerated TSH response to TRH. With more prolonged training (delta 48 to delta 80) there were significant increases in T4, rT3, and unstimulated TSH, while the ratios of T4/rT3 and T3/rT3 and the TSH response to TRH decreased significantly. Some of the thyroidal changes that occurred between delta 48 and delta 80 are similar to those seen in other stressful non-thyroidal conditions.
    PMID: 6748921 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances

For emphasis: "Mean (+/- SE) lean weight in kg increased from 42.9 +/- 1.2 at baseline to 44.8 +/- 1.2 at delta 80 (P = 0.002)"
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump!
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I have done no less than 6 days of cardio for the past 3 years, have been in a calorie deficit, lift weights 3 days a week, and take 1 rest day and have went from:

This fat guy:

2009May2.jpg

To this 250 lb. guy:

DSCF0590.jpg

pretty sure I have burnt up alot of fat, even gained alittle muscle, and am pretty sure I am not fat now... Have alot of loose skin LOL but not fat..... So OP now you won't get fat doing cardio..... Best of Luck

Holy Moly!!! Great job!!!

As for cardio making you fat...I would like to disagree. However, I do believe you should do weight training but I don't think you have to avoid cardio!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    there maybe truth to this go to the gym only the BIGS are on the treadmills...hince the terms cows on conveyor belts.

So, are you always a complete and total wanker/jerk, or just on the internet? Because if you were trying to make yourself look like a *kitten*, well: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm a hair away from my goal weight and have done about 140,000 calories worth of cardio in 5 months. My body fat percentage is also now down in the mid teens. I doubt there is anyone on the planet that would characterize me now as fat.

The most important muscle to me is my heart, the very muscle whose deterioration is slowly killing my mother. The weights-only crowd seems to use physical appearance as the only yardstick for success. Well, I'd rather be lean and fit and be able to run, cycle etc. then look buff but have a weak heart.

By the way, all forms of cardio are also forms of resistance training. For example, you move your body weight forward with each stride when you run. Mix in some rowing and you've worked every major muscle group without doing a lick of weights. For me the key has been cross-training. I run, I cycle, I row and also utilize stair treadmills and elliptical machines. If you mix it up, there is no need to lose muscle mass of have your upper body wither away. And yes, I can do plenty of full pushups.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked this thread is still alive. I mean, the initial questioned as been answered. None of us believes cardio makes you fat. And we've all stated that the article posted in the first response seems like a bunch of hooey. But this thread has been hijacked by the "does cardio inhibit muscle" question.

Rachel Cosgrove is the author of The Female Body, a big time contributer to Womens Heatlh magazine, the inventor of the Spartacus workout that people started doing a couple years ago, gym owner, licensed trainer, and physique competitor. Here's what she wrote about how her body reacted to the intense cardio she performed to train for a triathlon:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Alwyn Cosgrove married to Rachel and co-own and runs the gym the own, has a degree in sports performance, is also a licensed PT and strength coach, and is the author of the New Rules for Lifting books. Here's one of his many posts on cardio.

http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/05/the-new-science-of-fat-loss/

They, along with me and any strength or bodybuilding coach you can find will all agree that cardio works to the detriment of muscular gains. That's the only topic I was addressing in my original post before I started getting called all sorts of meathead. A poster said that lots of cardio doesn't inhibit strength or growth, and that's just wrong information. I replied in a snarky way that I guess didn't get across my meaning, so the blowback on me is my own fault.

To everyone saying "to each their own goals", OF COURSE! No one is disagreeing on that. Certainly not I! Heck, I'm doing a ton of cardio myself for the month of July to get ready for an upcoming Tough Mudder event. Do all the cardio you want. Do all the lifting you want. For the goals of most people, especially on a non-meathead site like MFP, doing cardio will not stop them from making the modest strength/size/toning(!) goals that they desire. Just don't say that cardio does not affect strength training, because in 20 years of lifting/running/biking/hiking, that has not been true of me, anyone I know, or any coach actually working in the field.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked this thread is still alive. I mean, the initial questioned as been answered. None of us believes cardio makes you fat. And we've all stated that the article posted in the first response seems like a bunch of hooey. But this thread has been hijacked by the "does cardio inhibit muscle" question.
    Who brought it up? Something compelled you to continue posting on this thread after the question "as been answered".
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    cardio is for the weak

Awesome! Why don't you come running with me and we can celebrate our weakness together?
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen an addicted runner with a FAT midsection? Pfffft.. Soooo not true!

I don't know about being an addicted runner but when I trained to do Ironman, I never really lost that pudge around the middle.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In the past 12 months I have run around 2500 miles. That is roughly 275,000 calories. I have also lost weight in this time. If the body preferred to burn muscle for this cardio at 600 calories per pound it would have burned through 458 pounds of muscle. I would have died long ago.

So, either I am a genetic frieak or the body does not prefer muscle tissue over fat as fuel.

The math is hard to argue.

I do not know any fat runners.

And

From what I know most serious runners are super thin and scrawny for a reason... AS I understand it they train that way, to keep the weight down and be able to run faster and farther, or am I wrong here?
  • tappae
    Options
    will we be partaking in deep fried treats? or shall we save them for when we play with your plastic dolls in your mums basement?

Sounds like fun! Will you be bringing your puppet that juices?

Seriously, though, my HRM just reported almost 1000 calories burned in less than an hour. That number is probably a little high, but even if it was just 800, there's no way I could get a burn like that lifting weights, even if I took no breaks and jogged from station to station.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    dont be mad be lean...learn macro's eat under maintenance and quit being a sadkunt. cardio is for the weak that dont eat healthy learn nutrition and weight drips off like the tears on your cheeks when you see your reflection

Excuse me, but I certainly hope you aren't calling anyone a "sadkunt," whatever that even is...sounds an awful lot like the word "c*nt", doesn't it? That's real cute. Congrats to you.

Most of what you're saying doesn't even make any grammatical sense and we can't tell who you're even referring to because you don't quote anyone, which makes it look like you're incoherently babbling to yourself like a sad moron would when he wants attention.
  • tappae
    Options
    no way you are serious. cardio is a one time calorie burn, your body then breaks down your muscle for energy. where as lifting you build muscle which then even when sitting on your floor playing with dolls your burning calories for you body to maintain the muscle not to mention the cals used in recovery phase is over all greater and more long term the 30 mins you run. and during the work out phase depending on weight and exertion can range between 200-500 for 30 mins (+/-) look at all athletes your telling me they only run? research before you open your mouth.

I don't need to do any research. My opinions are fueled by indignation and deep-fried treats.

Also, I never said that "all athletes" only run. In fact, I don't only run. I don't even disagree with the idea that there can be some muscle loss with a cardio-only plan. I do, however, know from personal experience that the fat comes off faster.

Oh, and you seem awfully fixated on my G.I. Joes. Do you really think you're badder than Cobra Commander? Anyone that calls overweight people "BIGS," says that "cardio is for the weak," and has only an elementary grasp on communication should think twice before doling out advice on when to "open your mouth."