Gym newbie

Options
Ok, Folks, Here's the story....

I moved into my apartment complex in October of last year. My complex has TWO fully stocked gyms that I pay an extra 20 dollars per month to use. Let's count how many times I have used either one.....

Well, That was easy!

So, I'm forcing myself to start going three times per week. I figure that should cover my twenty dollars :bigsmile:

I'm female, 157 lbs, and 5'6. I have NEVER stepped foot into a gym before my apartment tour. :laugh:

Where should I begin???? I need suggestions on where to start! Do you do arms first? Legs? How much should I start lifting in the beginning?

Thanks in advance!

P.s. Im fully aware that I'm probably going to get ripped apart!

Replies

• XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options
    Yeah, I searched both google and on here. I just figured it was more helpful to get answers from real people!
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Heres what i started with:
    Day 1: chest & triceps
    day 2: back & biceps
    day 3: legs & shoulders

And cardio each of those days.

3 sets of 15. After one set of 15 you should be tired.
  • XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a program like Couch to 5k or The New Rules of Lifting for Women? There are also lots of other programs out there. A program could get you into a routine and introduce you to a variety of techniques and exercises.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    honestly, i started with what was most comfortable to me--the elliptical. if i didn't enjoy my workout at least a little bit, i don't think i could have made a habit of it. from the elliptical i ventured into running on the treadmill, then tried out some bikes, and finally added in the strength training. our gym tends to fill up with muscley men, and despite all my big talk, i don't like being the only girl on that half of the gym. but do what works for you--and having a gym in your apartment complex? AWESOME!
  • dunkah
    dunkah Posts: 9
    Options
    I started with a basic 5x5 and it seems to be working so far!

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
  • XxOMG_ITS_PINKxX
    Options
    Awesome responses! Thank you!!!
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    honestly, i started with what was most comfortable to me--the elliptical. if i didn't enjoy my workout at least a little bit, i don't think i could have made a habit of it. from the elliptical i ventured into running on the treadmill, then tried out some bikes, and finally added in the strength training. our gym tends to fill up with muscley men, and despite all my big talk, i don't like being the only girl on that half of the gym. but do what works for you--and having a gym in your apartment complex? AWESOME!

Woah. When i first started with the gym.... years and years ago ... this was me. People would encourage me to get off the elliptical but that was my machine!!! Then like you, i found the bikes. Then cycle class. Then the treadmills. And now im in bodypump and back to the elliptical :)

And for me, its easier for me to go to the gym than the onsite gym at my complex. I've lived in 2 complexes with gyms. Its harder to go home, and see your nice comfy couch, and NOT sit on it. Or going home and seeing something that "still needs done". I used to say ill do this real quick then go workout. And then the workout doesnt happen. :( then im kicking my butt mentally....