Deck of Cards workout.

Options
So I got this idea for a workout from my boyfriends brother, so I am sharing it,but also asking for your help in how to log it.

You take a deck of cards and assign a workout move to each suit. Today I chose hearts as squats, diamonds as jumping jacks, clubs as push ups, and spades as plank to work on my stomach muscles. You flip over the first card and say it is the 8 of hearts, you do 8 squats...and so on throughout the entire deck. For the Jack, Queen, King, and Ace I chose them all to be a "5" for right now and thought I could play with the number I would do for the face cards as I get stronger. It didn't seem like it would be that great of a workout, but man was I sweating by the time I was finished, and I must say I am a little sore!! You can change the workout moves that you use with the suits so each day it could be something different, and it's nice because you don't know which move your going to be doing until you flip the card over. By the time I finished the whole deck, I had managed to do 74 squats, pushups, jumping jacks, and held plank for 74 seconds total.

I decided to also time how long it took me to finish and today it took me 18 mins. You could do this while watching TV at night, or during commercial breaks really.

My question though is, when I mark these under strength training, it appears that it is not calculating that I burned any calories at all. I got my heart rate up, so I would assume I burned something for the day!! But I have no idea how to figure out what I burned and how to log it so it looks like I burned something.

Thanks for any help and enjoy!

Replies

• renee22
    Options
    that sounds like fun!

i would log it all as circuit training - if your heart rate was up the whole time - this way you can see how many calories you burn!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks that sounds like a good idea! I will try logging it as that!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    wonderful idea i will have to try this on a snow day.
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    wow I like this concept I'll have to try this
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    hey, this sounds fun! i can get everyone in the family to join in as well. Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bumpy
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    bump
  • porterbaby38
    porterbaby38 Posts: 1,401
    Options
    that sounds great, i'll have try it. thanks
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I just got doing this workout and WOW. So my hubby and I wanted to do plank and he said 5x the card in seconds. I officially hate planks he he. I think the next time we will do more cardio instead of just one. Thank you for this workout. Its a nice change.
  • alyssafitz
    Options
    this sounds like so much fun, thanks for the idea!
  • porterbaby38
    porterbaby38 Posts: 1,401
    Options
    ok i got a deck of cards, what would the jokers be?
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I guess I took the jokers out...but you could make them whatever you want! Thats the nice part about the workout!
  • Carolyn047
    Options
    This is a fun work out - I do this but I choose 10 - 15 cards and I choose four work out types (squats, push ups, stomach crunches, jumping jacks). For each card I turn over, I do all four items for the face value, J Q K are face value of 10 and A = 11. So, if I turn over 3 royal cards in a row, my butt is kicked - that is 10 each of squats, push ups, stomach crunches and jumping jacks, no rests in between. This takes me about 15 - 20 minutes and is a full workout. My heart rate stays up for the full workout - try it sometime...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I got this idea for a workout from my boyfriends brother, so I am sharing it,but also asking for your help in how to log it.

You take a deck of cards and assign a workout move to each suit. Today I chose hearts as squats, diamonds as jumping jacks, clubs as push ups, and spades as plank to work on my stomach muscles. You flip over the first card and say it is the 8 of hearts, you do 8 squats...and so on throughout the entire deck. For the Jack, Queen, King, and Ace I chose them all to be a "5" for right now and thought I could play with the number I would do for the face cards as I get stronger. It didn't seem like it would be that great of a workout, but man was I sweating by the time I was finished, and I must say I am a little sore!! You can change the workout moves that you use with the suits so each day it could be something different, and it's nice because you don't know which move your going to be doing until you flip the card over. By the time I finished the whole deck, I had managed to do 74 squats, pushups, jumping jacks, and held plank for 74 seconds total.

I decided to also time how long it took me to finish and today it took me 18 mins. You could do this while watching TV at night, or during commercial breaks really.

My question though is, when I mark these under strength training, it appears that it is not calculating that I burned any calories at all. I got my heart rate up, so I would assume I burned something for the day!! But I have no idea how to figure out what I burned and how to log it so it looks like I burned something.

Thanks for any help and enjoy!

My trainer did it with me one day. He took out the face cards. I wanted to kill him by the time we were done. I hurt for days.
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We do this pretty regularly (every month or two) at our Crossfit box. I think last time we did it, the exercises were burpees, situps, pullups, goblet squats. We've had wall balls and 100m runs included in it too. Aces count as 11, not 1.

The few times we've had jokers included in the deck it's been something awful, something like five or ten of each movement.
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give this a go. I get bored with routines quickly!
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We do this pretty regularly (every month or two) at our Crossfit box. I think last time we did it, the exercises were burpees, situps, pullups, goblet squats. We've had wall balls and 100m runs included in it too. Aces count as 11, not 1.

The few times we've had jokers included in the deck it's been something awful, something like five or ten of each movement.

We did this a few weeks ago in our box too. The exercises were box jumps, kettlebell swings, push press and push ups. Joker was a 100m plate walk.

It was evil. Took me 60 minutes to complete and I couldn't use my arms properly for the next week.