Diet and headaches?

Options
About a month ago I switched to a Veggie diet and last week I switched to Vegan. I am getting approx 50+ grams of protein a day, and plenty of fats and carbs as well, however I have been getting migraines at least 2-3 times a week. I only got migraines 1x a month before this change. Is it possible my body is still in detox from cutting out animal products or would this be a sign that my body doesn't tolerate a veg/vegan diet? I have been to the dr and all my blood work comes back normal except I am anemic, but I have been anemic my whole life and I take an iron supplement. Any thoughts?

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Try magnesium. Even if your blood levels are normal.
  • Tara_Janel
    Tara_Janel Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • Tara_Janel
    Options
    anyone else?
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I used to get migraines a lot!! I am a vegetarian who I thought ate pretty healthy...then my doctor had me start taking Vitamin D, B-12 and a Calcium w/ Magnesium supplement...I'd double check before you start taking anything but I have not ghad a single migraine since then and that was 9 months ago!!

Also, make sure you are drinking enough water...this used to be a big trigger for me! :)
  • Tara_Janel
    Options
    I drink about 120oz of water perday! Thanks for the advice! I do take a b complex and vit d. I will look into the mag!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    have you quit caffeine as well?

I ask becasue I cut back my coffee intake in feb from 2 cups to 1...and I had a two week long migraine. Seriously, the only thing to cut the pain little was Asprin (which btw has caffeine). I went back to my 2 cups of coffee and no more issues.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Weird. I have frequent migraines and noticed my attacks decreased significantly once I stopped eating processed food. Maybe you are having other triggers which are occurring at the same time you made your diet change? I'd look at that, and if you're drinking enough water.
  • hmoore202
    hmoore202 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have suffered from severe migraines my whole life and my neurologist had me taking magnesium, calcium and B vitamins 2x a day. It worked for me and i don't eat a huge amount of meat either.
  • Tara_Janel
    Options
    have you quit caffeine as well?

I ask becasue I cut back my coffee intake in feb from 2 cups to 1...and I had a two week long migraine. Seriously, the only thing to cut the pain little was Asprin (which btw has caffeine). I went back to my 2 cups of coffee and no more issues.

I stopped drinking soda but i still have 1-2 cups (ok big cups) of coffee each morning!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I had three in three weeks last month. I wasn't eating enough and my iron levels were low. I stopped counting calories for a couple weeks and started taking a vitamin with iron and haven't had one since. I hope you figure it out and the stop. Migraines are miserable!
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I know that can be one of my biggest triggers.