Phentermine - Your Experience?

Options

Replies

• atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have never tried. However, a close friend has and she loved it for a few months. Then she started having a health issue. She is convinced that the pill brought on this condition because previous blood tests did not reveal it. I think that somethimes certain medial issues don't present themselves immediately and will show up in later tests. I am not for or against phen either way, I think everyone's body is their own business.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big advocate of drugs, unless it's life threatening. I would suggest speaking to a naturopath and nutritionist (if you've got benefits from work, or your spouse does, if you have one, it's likely they will be covered). They may have another solution to bringing your cholesterol down without the need for drugs.

From my experience, doctors are either "don't worry about it, you'll be fine," or "take this pill and it'll make you better really fast!"
  • secondchance82
    Options
    Didn't take this one but I took Ma Huang last summer. Dropped like 25lbs. in 6 weeks (same effects) and had to take a sleeping pill to sleep at night because that stuff had me jacked up for 12-18 hour straight. Put back on 20lbs. of the entire 30lbs. I lost with the help of it. Doing it slow this time around.

IMO, if you NEED a pill to kickstart things make sure you're under strict medical supervision.
  • Presley0381
    Options
    It does seem to work very well for fast weight loss.

but im guessing it'll all come back when you stop taking it :flowerforyou:

This is not true. I was prescribed Phen and lost a lot of weight. I didn't gain any of the weight back until I got pregnant with my 3rd daughter. While on it, I experienced dry mouth and had a hard time sleeping at night at times but other than that it was fine. The first couple of days you might experience rapid heart beat too but that should go away. What are you taking, the 37.5 or the capsule??
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I loved it and I took it for 3 months. It does suppress your appetite and makes you less hungry. I didn't get dry mouth at all. It made me very very hyper I felt like I was the Energizer bunny on crack lol but I loved it. I lost 25lbs in a month. I probably would have lost more if I would have went on a diet. Some of my weight did come back on but not all of it.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think that, if you follow your doctor's advice, and take the time you're on it to develop healthy eating & exercise habits, it will be a great asset to your health goals.
  • Presley0381
    Options
    I think that, if you follow your doctor's advice, and take the time you're on it to develop healthy eating & exercise habits, it will be a great asset to your health goals.

AGREE!!!
  • zenjenn
    zenjenn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Presley, yes, the 37.5 mg pill.

ejean, there was a time I would have agreed with you. I used to avoid taking all drugs, even tylenol or antibiotics unless I was clearly and obviously in need of them - still do to some extent. But I've had too many "natural" approaches not work or even cause me worse health issues. The stories I could tell you - I think some of them being the universe telling me not to be so smug about what I thought I knew. But just to say, as I approach my middle years, that sometimes natural approaches are great, and sometimes, modern medicine and pharmaceuticals improve the quality of life & health greatly. For example, I suffered with horrible almost year-long allergies and related sinus infections my whole life using neti pots, local honey, natural supplements, steam, chiropractic, etc, before I finally gave up and started taking a daily allergy pill. My quality of life is SO much better due to a drug. I still use my neti pot, btw, but alone it doesn't cut it.

I think natural methods work best when you are a textbook human with everything in working order. In contrast, I'm someone that probably would have been eliminated from the gene pool about 10x over by now if I were at the mercy of nature.

That said, I still remain very *cautious* about using drugs. I would not have even considered this drug if I didn't not only have a health concern but lifelong struggle with weight, appetite control, and clearly some biochemical limits that clearly render my weight loss far slower than what it should be on paper.
  • VanishaDawn
    Options
    I started taking Phentermine a week ago and I am still unsure if I have lost any weight. I decided not to weigh myself until I go back to the doctors office in two weeks. She also gave me a B-12 shot and a diet plan. I haven't been able to follow the diet to a tee because I have no appetite at all. My side effects are minimal; dizziness, restlessness, and dry mouth. I notice a very slight increase in my energy level. I'm not sure if not eating will cause more harm than good, but last night I had to make myself eat a bowl of cereal and even then, I didn't finish it. If I go according to the plan, I will consume between 1,200 and 1,500 calories per day and 2-3 grams of fat. My biggest concern is once I stop taking the pills, I am not sure that I will be able to maintain the weight loss. We'll see, Good Luck to you!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I took it as well and have kept the weight off through 2 kids and 20+ years because I changed my eating habits and excerise.
    Only time the weight came back was 6 years ago when I got cancer and had chemo - and then it was only 15 - 20 pounds

I had 50 pounds to lose back then and it did help me. Just be careful I saw someone post they take it 2 hours before they work out, which isn't good because it can elevate your heart rate.

Good Luck
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I took it for about 2 weeks and HATED it. It make me twitchy, nervous, mean, and I couldn't sleep. It was a very, very weird feeling of being SO TIRED, but not being able to sleep and then jumping out of bed at 5 am. I couldn't handle it at all.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are well informed and are looking at your situation clearly. Good luck to you and congrats on everything you have lost so far.

^^ This. nuff said.

Your not looking for a quick fix, your doctor is looking to keep you alive! as long as your still careful with what you eat, and how much you work out, you should be fine when you come off it

Best of luck hun xx
  • Windy32
    Windy32 Posts: 54
    Options
    I currently take phentermine. I have taken it in the past too. The main side effect I have had was dry mouth, and extra energy. Dry mouth is easy to solve just drink more water. Right now I take mine every other day because I am due for a refill but can't refill it because i am out of state visiting family. the whole point of phentermine is to get you into better eating habits. Before taking it i felt like I was always hungry. I could easily eat 2000+ cals a day and still want to eat more. Also after about a week I notie my appitie returned not as bad as it was but I was able to feel hungry again. You probably won't regain the weight you lose as long as you keep your calories in check and exercise. I had regained back the weight I lost by not exercising and when my youngest was in the hospital all I ate was junk food because I am a stress eater.
  • mkdarin
    mkdarin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My Dr. sugested I take it too but I delcined because I was aafraid. Please stay in touch with me and let mwe know how you are dong on it. My Dr. Also wanted me to start tkaing Metformin. Are you taking any other drugs?
  • zenjenn
    zenjenn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had regained back the weight I lost by not exercising and when my youngest was in the hospital all I ate was junk food because I am a stress eater.

I think this is the problem for so many of us. I don't normally gain or lose when all is well, but the situations in life that caused inactivity or excess eating - pregnancies, surgeries, etc. Those are the times the weight goes on. Getting it off becomes a problem - my body seems to like to stay at a stable weight in normal situations. I was never thin but I was content at my stable 140-150 lbs - but then a couple babies, cancer, a broken leg surgery, etc - the pounds add up over the years.

Anyways, thanks for those who shared there experience - other experiences welcome. Also those who have objections thanks for keeping it mostly civil.
  • jody0726
    jody0726 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello zenjenn and friends. This has been my experience.

Earlier this year, I changed doctors and found myself sitting in my new doctor's office hearing, "You are morbidly obese. Your health is now to the point that you have to get this weight off. You are 38 and have the blood work of a 93 year old. You are pre-diabetic and have many other health risks that are all weight oriented." Then, the script for Phentermine, along with one for hypo-thyroidism, came.

I have been taking a dose of 37.5 grams, under doctor's care, for the past few months. Only when I research side effects did I immediately undergo them myself. LOL It's pretty self defeating I guess so I don't really spend much time worrying about what others have experienced. I listen to my own body and personally, I've found if I don't drink enough water and get some exercise, I don't sleep well. Could that be the medication? Who knows / who cares - I just try to get both of these things in every day.

Bottom line, I believe this medication can be used a weight loss tool.

Let's put it this way, if I fell down the stairs and broke my leg, I'd need to see a doctor and possibly use crutches for awhile; I'd need the help of an aid to get me back up on my feet again. Well, just speaking for me, this medicine has helped me to do that. This month, I began breaking the pills in half myself, only taking half of the prescribed dosage. I feel I am ready to walk without the crutch!! I have far to go on my weight loss journey, but I know I can do it. I now honestly ENJOY working out! Before, even getting in and out of the car was exhaustive.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'd love to encourage and support you, as would many people that I've found here at MFP. This community is encouraging and supportive and I have found some of the most wonderful people here.
  • MichelleHoughton
    Options
    You are so smart for keeping your food log especially if you are not hungry because of the pill you are taking. You don't want to starve yourself because that will cause the weight to come right back ten fold.
    You should check out Hypoxi on google, I went and loved it. There is a Hypoxi studio in Kitchener, ON.
  • MichelleHoughton
    Options
    You can also change the kinds of proteins that you intake, Arbonne has a fantastic vegan protein shake that has pea, rice and cranberry proteins they are 160 calories and taste fantastic.
    www.michelleyhoughton.myarbonne.ca
  • Presley0381
    Options
    I have taken both, the 30 mg and the 37.5. I found the 37.5 was strong at first so I would cut the pill in half and take half in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. You should have some good results on the pill but the most important thing is to learn good eating habits. I tried taking the pill again in the beginning of the year and found that it didn't work as well. I was told it was becasue my body became immune to it. I'm not sure if that is true. But good luck!!!
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Dry mouth and very fitgity for the first week, but dry mouth stayed! I didn't see that it helped me. But to each their own.