THE DREADED PASTA

Options
hi pals im have desided to cut all pasta out of my diet and now im trying to figure out what i can use as a subitute cause i am still cooking it for my family but im choosing not eat it hope this makes senece i just dont want to have to make two diffeant meals please help

Replies

• mrsmarion2b
    Options
    Why don't you try 100% whole grain pasta? It's much better for you, I get the multi-grain kind. Not sure what else you could do, but good luck.
  • sskirsty
    sskirsty Posts: 5
    Options
    If you're cutting it out entirely, maybe try using spaghetti squash or zucchini in place. Those have worked well for us. If you cook the spaghetti squash and eat it with a tomato/meat sauce, it is delicious. Zucchini trimmed into ribbons, steamed, then served with sauce is also delicious. Just be careful not to overcook the zucchini or it doesn't hold its shape as well.

Whenever we eat pasta, we have either 100% whole grain pasta, or my favorite (Dreamfields pasta) which is lower in carbs and has a ton of protein and fiber.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Some people really like spaghetti squash. We use brown rice pasta at my house or I cook some potatoes or even rice. Not sure that helps but those take sauces pretty good.
  • acarrillo2012
    acarrillo2012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would suggest quinoa. It is kind of similar to rice or couscous but has a much higher protein content, so it fills you up a lot. You could put the same sauce on it that you're making for your family for the pasta.
  • seattlern
    seattlern Posts: 19
    Options
    Try Miracle Noodles. You can buy them online and they have 0 calories and 0 carbs. Some people don't like the texture but I actually prefer them to regular pasta. Just make sure you read up on the right way to prepare them or they won't absorb any flavor.
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We also do the spaghett squash (hubby & I) and I cook whole wheat pasta for the kids. We love it, highly recommend! :smile:
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I agree with everyone that said Spaghetti Squash =)
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    I also decided to take out pasta (along with white rice) from my meals, so if we have it at dinner or something, I just eat whatever meat / tofu / fish we have with a whole bunch of vegetables and a salad. All other members of my family can have pasta if they want, but there is always vegetables and a salad in our menu.
    I also cook quinoa from time to time, and I do it that. Very high in protein and fiber.
    Good luck!
  • smellyrichelley
    smellyrichelley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people who really like spaghetti squash. There are also tofu noodles and kelp noodles. I've never tried kelp noodles, but tofu noodles take a little getting used to.
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are you on a low carb diet or is there something wrong with cals/carbs from pasta? Just trying to get educated if I can. I've been eating pasta twice a day for the last 4 weeks and its been a struggle gaining some weight!
  • jwshmoe75
    jwshmoe75 Posts: 119
    Options
    ]
    Try Miracle Noodles. You can buy them online and they have 0 calories and 0 carbs. Some people don't like the texture but I actually prefer them to regular pasta. Just make sure you read up on the right way to prepare them or they won't absorb any flavor.

Bump!!!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Why cut it out? Try wholemeal pasta but calorie wise it's quite good value ....350 cals of it is normally quite a good plate pile!

I haven't tried it (though want to) spaghetti squash or ......erm not sure really. If I'm having pasta, the meal tends t be about the pasta so that's where the calories lie. You could try lower calorie toppings such as shell-fish with garlic butter.....a ratatouille type concoction or similar? xx
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i have been doing whole wheat pasta for whole famliy and will continue for them but i wanting to cut it out cause the carbs are really bad for me even with whole wheat i gain so i desided to cut it out and then im going to cut rice too but im going a lil at a time so i dont get over whelmed cause i want a lifestyle change cause what im doing is not working
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't think cutting anything out of your diet is necessary unless you have been told by your doctor that you are insulin resistant or some other issue with your health.

I know that changing your diet is hard. But what I think is even harder is jumping the gun and not giving the basics a proper chance to work.

I went through your diary and noticed that you either are starving yourself or you aren't logging everything you eat.

I would challenge you to just log and measure EVERYTHING. After you have a hard copy of what you are eating then you can CUT portion sizes down on the bad stuff and INCREASE the good stuff.

I know that changing your diet is hard especially when your family isn't doing it with you, but if you are anything like me, without the basics doing anything like cutting out something I truly enjoy eating with my family. I would fail.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you really like pasta I'd suggest not cutting it out. Try something like Dreamfields, Barilla Plus, or whole wheat. I eat pasta regularly, and it doesn't hurt my diet or my diabetes.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't see the need to cut out pasta completely, I just don't have it very often although I did just have some for dinner. I was actually quite surprised how much pasta the 90g serving gave me! I think I'll try whole wheat pasta once I finish the bag of white pasta I have.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Dont cut it out, just as everything, eat in moderation.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel you on this. Pasta is crap food (so is pasta sauce). I'm not sure if I really understand your question, but if you're looking for easy to make things to substitute for pasta during your dinner you might want to make a sweet potato or regular potato. You can cut them into cubes and boil for 15 min, but if you're lazy like me you will just poke a bunch of holes in it with a fork and microwave it for 2 minutes.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a Spiralizer and spiralize courgette (zuchini), blanch it in boiling water, drain well and use that as a pasta substitute when I don't have enough calories for the proper stuff. It works really well as a substitute.
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't think cutting anything out of your diet is necessary unless you have been told by your doctor that you are insulin resistant or some other issue with your health.

I know that changing your diet is hard. But what I think is even harder is jumping the gun and not giving the basics a proper chance to work.

I went through your diary and noticed that you either are starving yourself or you aren't logging everything you eat.

I would challenge you to just log and measure EVERYTHING. After you have a hard copy of what you are eating then you can CUT portion sizes down on the bad stuff and INCREASE the good stuff.

I know that changing your diet is hard especially when your family isn't doing it with you, but if you are anything like me, without the basics doing anything like cutting out something I truly enjoy eating with my family. I would fail.
    what is sad is i have completely changed everything and i log everything i mesure my food i move more when i first started i lost 18 pounds and was only eating between 1600 and 1800 calories then everyone was telling me i need to eat my bmr so i did and that is 2000 cal i gained back all but 3 pounds it was very discouraging so went to the doc told him what happened he suggested i go back down to what i was doing in the begining and now i have froze no change at all so was thinking if i cut out the pasta which i wont miss maybe it would help me get things going im trying i want change ive had a very eventful 1st month on mfp