Feeding little kids in a healthy way? Need help

Options
Hi Pals,

This has concerned me for a while but i have never asked the question. I eat clean most often as i can. I avoid processed food like the plaque because we all know the reasons. I have a 6 year old that isn't interested in eating what I eat. Between the convenience of processed food and the fact that he doesn't like what I eat; whats a guy to do? I am actually to the point where i feel guilty about it. I know i am not alone. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Offer the child good healthy food. If said child is hungry and knows you won't break out the mac and cheese when they complain they will eat. A child will not starve with food in front of them. I feed 8 preschools lunch and 2 snacks a day , no junk no nuggets , fresh veggies from my garden ect. They all eat. Their parents don't understand why they eat for me and not them. I just offer with no drams. Here is what we are eating today eat or not your choice.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My kids love fresh fruit. I started there then moved to yogurts. As far as proteins go my oldest wouldn't eat meat until the last year. Couldn't get her to eat much but finally stumbled onto the fact that she loves pistachios. Now she eats nuts like crazy. Also pork chops with a light dusting season salt and ketchup to dip in(i know not as good as some, but better than most)
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have the complete opposite problem. I have fed my 15 month old fresh everything so when I even try to feed him a processed food such as boxed mac and cheese forget it.

I feed my kids a lot of fruits and veggies, cheese, whole grain everything from crackers to breads, whole wheat or whole grain pastas. You just have to find what your child likes and go from there. I also have a very picky 6 yr old that I fight with to eat anything, it may just be the age too. Maybe google healthy kid friendly meals. Good luck!
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have 2 little boys myself. My one year old was easy because he didn't know any better. My 5 year old has been a little harder because he started off eatting fast food and processed food like mac n cheese. We have a rule in our house that you eat what Mommy fixes for dinner, or you don't eat. He never starves. He will find something on his plate he is willing to eat be it the fruit, or veg or sometimes everything. Every once in a while I will allow him to have the old mac n cheese, but it's not often.
    Also, I have found ways to make the things he likes (pizza, sloppy joes, and even mac n cheese) in a healther way at home. He loves it when he gets to pick his own toppings to put on his pizza and helps make it.
    He is slowly growing accustomed to the new way of eatting and even learning to love some of the things he once turned his nose up at (Tilapia). Ultimately we are the parents and we know what is best for them so you just have to put your foot down.
  • TinamarZDF
    TinamarZDF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try this website. It is awesome. You hide the veggies in children's fav foods. My kids HATE veggies but love my homemade baked mac n cheese which has cauliflower (sp) and zuchinni. Hubby even ate it.

Sorry, here it is http://www.thesneakychef.com/
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you just have to keep trying. There are so many ways to disguise healthy food.

For instance, I made a cauliflower crust pizza yesterday. Kids might like pizza, but hate cauliflower. I just don't tell them it's cauliflower until after it's gone.

Also, make small changes to food he really does like. For instance, we made Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin. It takes like Hash Brown Casserole, but is much healthier.

And please, don't feel guilty about eating healthy and teaching your kids to make good nutritional decisions!
  • jonward85
    Options
    Offer the child good healthy food. If said child is hungry and knows you won't break out the mac and cheese when they complain they will eat. A child will not starve with food in front of them. I feed 8 preschools lunch and 2 snacks a day , no junk no nuggets , fresh veggies from my garden ect. They all eat. Their parents don't understand why they eat for me and not them. I just offer with no drams. Here is what we are eating today eat or not your choice.

Eat or Not was my parents. It worked pretty well for me, but i've got a friend who just wouldn't eat and he'd end up making himself sick. So depends on the stubbornness.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    About 90% of the time, my kids only snack on fruit, veggies, or yogurt. Once in a blue moon, I'll buy something like pop tarts *gasp!* and give them each one as a morning snack with their milk while I get to sleep in. But for the most part they LOVE yogurt and fresh fruit and I'm good with that!

Also, since the day they could start eating solid food, they get veggies with every meal. So they've come to expect it. Now when I ask my 3 year old what she wants for dinner, generally her answer is "Carrots, green beans, broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes....and mac and cheese!". I'm definately okay with that! LOL

So when it's a normal part of their life it's not a battle. They know what they can have and what they can't. Sure they still ask for candy, but only actually get it once in a great while. Still gotta let them be kids.....
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Check out the book called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry Seinfeld's wife). It is all about disguising healthy foods and lots of fruits and veggies into "brownies" and "pizza" and stuff, especially for kids. I think one of the main strategies is to make purees of healthy veggies that can be added to in all kinds of foods. There are plenty of recipes in there and on the internet for all kinds of clever tricks like using chickpeas to make chocolate chip cookies, etc.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Try the one-bite rule. When I make meals, I make sure to serve at least one thing I know they'll love (so they can have enough to eat), and then the rule is they get one serving of everything on the table. They can have as much of anything on the table as they like, but they can't have seconds until they try at least one GOOD bite of everything I'm serving. Even if they've not liked it before, they have to try it again. I exempt my son from trying carrots because he gets the shivers, they gross him out so bad. But everything else, one bite. We all stay at the table until everybody's tried everything. We don't fight about it, it's just what we do. My son is 4 and a half. He used to hate salmon. Now it's one of his favorites, simply because he's tried it repeatedly until he got over the "eww, weird new food" reaction. My kids like salt, so I'll let them put salt on new foods if they ask. It makes them more likely to try it. If they liked ketchup, I'd let them try that too. Whatever it takes to get them to try it, and then you can gradually cut back on the salt or ketchup or whatever it is they want to add to it. Then after they've tried everything, if they want a second helping of their favorite, they can have it.

Do my kids eat clean all the time? No. But they eat a LOT healthier since we implemented that rule. We don't have junky, sugary snacks except once in a while, they don't eat anything with dyes in it anymore (it was exacerbating my son's aggression, so we cut them out), and they drink water 98% of the time. And they enjoy it. They used to eat really embarrassingly badly, but we've made huge strides just by using this rule, and now they don't even miss that stuff. You just have to keep trying. Be positive and upbeat, don't fight about it, but don't offer the junk. It will happen.
  • pldg
    pldg Posts: 18
    Options
    It depends on your kid's personality and age, but often giving foods cool names helps (i.e. "X-ray vision" carrots or "speed-racer" green beans. Apples are "healthy bombs" and quinoa is "muscle-man rice"). Makes it more fun!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My kids love fresh fruit. I started there then moved to yogurts. As far as proteins go my oldest wouldn't eat meat until the last year. Couldn't get her to eat much but finally stumbled onto the fact that she loves pistachios. Now she eats nuts like crazy. Also pork chops with a light dusting season salt and ketchup to dip in(i know not as good as some, but better than most)

This is how my kids are...they LOVE nuts. In fact that's what we put in their easter eggs this year. Their favorite nut. They loved it. Also, they will gobble ANY kind of pork and chicken we put in front of them like it's going out of style. My husband is the cook and believes in making as much as possible home made. THANK GOODNESS! :)
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello,

First, nice profile pic!! :)

Moving on.... I have a 1.5 year old. Not the same thing I realize but when we (m husband and I) either eat not great stuff (opposite issue than you) or if we eat stuff my son is allergic to (tons of allergies) then I pull out a chicken breast and I always have steamable veggies in the freezer. I buy the purdue chicken - the bag has about 10 individually wrapped and season chicken breasts (no skin) in it so all I have to do is bake it for 20 minutes. And I buy a variety of frozen ready to steam bags - they take about 5 minutes in the microwave.

Also, maybe try this. I hear of you let the kids help you make the food they have more interest in eating it. Maybe let your child help cook the food you like to eat and they will want to eat it more. Too young to cook buy maybe can help with seasoning, help measure and add ingredients and watch the timer. Worth a shot maybe?
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My boys are 4 and 6, and love to help in the kitchen. This helps get them to try new things for meals, since we taste all of the ingredients as we cook.

There are a ton of activities around where we live, like farms where you can pick your own (or like a CSA where you can purchase a share of the crops) that help acquaint kids where the food actually comes from. We don't have one here, but near my brothers house they have a 'Pizza Farm' which is an interesting concept that are helpful for even picky eaters. Farmers markets are great too. We try to encourage them to try everything before deciding if they like it or not.

Could you take a cooking class together, or have them help meal plan? Maybe start with the concept of balanced meals, food pyramid, etc. I'm sure your local library has some age-appropriate books to help as well.

But, rather than focus on all of the things your six year old won't eat, why not focus on what they will. Maybe one night a week can be 'Adventure' Night for meals - featuring a new item, to expand your child's interest in food.

If nothing else, I would suggest finding the best possible options. If they love pasta - opt for the whole grain option. (Heck, they even make a whole grain option for Kraft Mac & Cheese). Or, better yet, if he likes the convenience food, try making a homemade version to control more of what goes into their food.

Good luck!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try outoftheboxfood.com
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    I always had one rule when mine were younger and that was they weren't allowed to say they didn't like something until they tried it first, quite often they actually liked the healthy food

also I saw somewhere recently if you smile when you dish up the food and look like you really love it then they're more likely to eat it, but that might be with much younger kids lol
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've always taken the time to plan & cook healthy meals. That is a feat in and of itself! The thought of cooking what each kid wanted didn't sit well with me!

1) you eat what was prepared for you ...I took the time to do it so it's rude to complain (I never made them finish anything-but they had to have a few bites)

2) if they decline it- no big deal but their only other choice would be to pick something from the fruit bowl (mine hardly ever picked that option)

One of the biggest parts of parenting is to tune out the whining and complaining...don't ever let that influence your choices for your family. If we always give in, how will our kids turn out?

It is challenging but it will pay off! My teens still sit down with us for dinner every night & they eat just about anything!
  • jonward85
    Options

This is how my kids are...they LOVE nuts. In fact that's what we put in their easter eggs this year. Their favorite nut. They loved it. Also, they will gobble ANY kind of pork and chicken we put in front of them like it's going out of style. My husband is the cook and believes in making as much as possible home made. THANK GOODNESS! :)

With 5 of us we do Beer Butt Chicken, but replace the beer with a Mt. Dew (ironically the only time we have soda in the house and it goes to the chicken...whoda thunk it.). 3 kids and 2 adults and it's GONE. Nothing but bones leftover.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When DD was little we had the typical chicken nuggets, mac and cheese etc around the house. Actually, she's 10 and it's still there but she doesn't eat very much of it. If we're all eating together, we're all eating together. One meal. She's been introduced to lots of crazy foods and if she doesn't like it, that's fine, but she has to try it. And even if she tells me she doesn't like something, sometimes I know she's just being stubborn and I tell her to eat it anyways.

I'm very lucky she would rather sit there and chow through a container of strawberries or slices of cucumber than crap. She loves cheese sticks. The dentist told her she should eat cheese to help her teeth and she insists that we have to have it in the house - LOL! Things (fruits and veggies) cut up into kid friendly sizes that she can just eat mindlessly work good too.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we struggle with this some too. I have a 4 and 2 year old. Our dinners are healthy -- some kind of protein, some kind of veggie, usually some kind of starch, milk or water to drink. And their lunches for school are the same. So I know they are getting some healthy foods. But for breakfast and snacks, we just kind of want something quick and convenient. we do a lot of granola bars (seems to always be something chocolatey) and cereals and... there's so much sugar in those things I don't feel like it's much better than candy! I've cut that stuff out of my diet but for some reason, I can't get over the convenience aspect and make them do it too.
    So... I don't know... they eat their healthy lunch and dinner because that is what they get and they can eat it or be hungry until the next regularly scheduled meal or snack. We don't give snacks out after a meal if they don't "fill their tummies with healthy food first". But they do have a morning and afternoon snack -- regardless of how they ate their lunch/dinner -- at a regularly scheduled time.
    If I had any suggestion, i think it would be to make small changes. Like... "oh, we're not buying soda anymore because it's not good for our bodies". And then maybe offer some healthier snacks in place of something unhealthy, slowly easing out more of the junk and adding in more good things, especially if there are good things he actually likes (like nuts or dried fruit???).

Another thing we do which i LOVE is dessert night. we have dessert night two nights a week so if they are begging for ice cream I can just say "it's not a dessert night!" and, ohwell, guess that means you're not getting any! But if it is a dessert night, they get dessert even if they didn't eat well that day. it's not a reward, it just is what it is.

meh, I don't know if any of this is good for anyone else, but I feel like we're doing OKAY, except for the crappy snacks. ;) working on it...