OK, I laughed through this article - Mud Runs for Rookies

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I can't say it made me want to do one though LOL.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/13-Tips-for-Mud-Run-Rookies.htm

Replies

• WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    makes me want to try this!
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Pretty funny stuff. I love doing these events. I signed up for the Spartan Beast in December and I've got several more 5K and 10K mud/obstacle events before then. I always wear cheap military boots for the mud courses, but for those that don't, they should duct tape their shoes on (you don't need to for the non-mud obstacle courses). And I always just wear cheap cargo pants. Cotton shirts weight 8,000 pounds by the end of these runs, so an Under Armor type shirt is a good bet if you're going to wear one. You definitely get a mix of people at these events, and it is fun to sling some mud. But my competitive drive kicks in and I want to blast past people too. Haha.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Wearing cotton is a horrible, horrible idea. Wear nylon and lycra. They don't absorb water or weigh you down or stretch out like the person was saying. Whatever "athletic" shirt they though they were earing that got weighed down - it was oversized and cotton.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I just had a few friends partake in the "Tough Mudder" event (www.toughmudder.com) and just their homepage into video gave me an adrenaline rush that I didn't expect. Nothing I'd try any time soon, mind you, but still looks like fun.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    makes me want to try this!

The part that got me was digging the mud out of your nether-regions with 50 of your non-closest friends LOL. Doesn't sound like fun to me. If I could just get in my car at the end and leave (which I suppose I *could* do) then maybe. But I'm also likely not fit enough to conquer the obstacles themselves. Yet!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    This made me laugh! And made me really apprehensive, we're doing Dirty Dash in September, and now I have to rethink my wardrobe for it.

Thanks for the funny post!
  • tracy1031
    tracy1031 Posts: 36
    Options
    Wearing cotton is a horrible, horrible idea. Wear nylon and lycra. They don't absorb water or weigh you down or stretch out like the person was saying. Whatever "athletic" shirt they though they were earing that got weighed down - it was oversized and cotton.

You are correct. Don't wear cotton anything!

And ladies... have some common sense. Don't wear shorts so short that everyone can see buttcheek. You can show off your figure with some nice running leggings or knee-lengths, and then you won't get the disgusting goopy gravelly mud "all up in there". ;-)