Why does being fat= lazy?

Options
2»

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Actually, read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes... Physical activity doesn't really do much but make you hungrier than you already are when you're on a semi-starvation diet. This book will change your perspective of fat people. Thanks.

Funny, I thought my comment about eating garbage instead of eating well would have covered your argument of good calories v bad calories. But thanks for the book suggestion, I'm always up for a little light reading.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

It is such an assumption. I just make bad food choices- sometimes just for convience.

It's a fundamental attribution error:

http://www.psychwiki.com/wiki/The_Fundamental_Attribution_Error
    The fundamental attribution error, also called the correspondence bias, describes the tendency for observer’s to attribute other people’s behavior to internal or dispositional factors and to downplay situational causes (Gilbert & Malone, 1995).

Clearly laziness is a cause of some people's obesity but only a small minority. However, it is easier for some people to have a neat little box and label it "all fat are lazy".
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Park further away from your office and add a minute or two to your walk. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Go for a walk after dinner. Jump rope during commercial breaks. A little here and there quickly adds to an hour of activity a day.

one of the problems i have with these type suggestions is that they tend to come off as glib. some of these things are easier said than done though depending on your job and where you live

- you're working 9-12 hours a day in the office mon-fri and many times coming back home and logging in from home to do more work, there's only so much time you're going to have to sleep, rest, grocery shop, workout etc. and many people in this country work those type hours and probably will be for awhile as the economy continues to do bad and employers essentially have to make due with each person being able to do the work of 3. back when i worked those crazy hours my walk after dinner (since usually had dinner at work) was walking to the subway station, taking the subway home and coming home to crash by midnight because i had to be up at 7 am to do the entire thing all over again :sad:

- if you're working 9-12 hour a day in an office then more than likely all 3 of your meals are being eaten in the office at your desk. it's difficult to eat a good sit down meal at your desk in front of a computer when you are meant to be chasing up on emails and files. i'm a PM and trust me, I AM that busy. i know people who work in other industries (education, financial, insurance) who were even busier than me :frown:

- taking the stairs and parking further away have never been valid options for me. i've lived and worked in NYC and san francisco. stairs are 1 way only which means you can go down them in an emergency but the doors are locked so even if i did walk up 22+ flights of stairs to get to my job, the stairwell door would be locked anyway and I'd have to walk back down to take the elevator.

- the public transportation version of parking further away can very easily take 20 minutes on to your time rather than the 1 minute from parking further. and sorry that's 20 minutes extra i can sleep especially considering i was already not getting enough sleep

not making excuses at all just saying that some of these suggestions that are thrown out for weight loss just arent very helpful. what finally helped me was being let go from my job last december. now i work from home. i'm in the same industry so i still get the same type stress but i'm not forced to be at my desk all the time. plus i work for a spanish company now and euros are way more into work/life balance than americans. as an example at my old job each PM had to keep a personal capacity work that our boss would look over. this report told him how many hours of work you had ahead of you that day. if you had less than 10 hours of work (for an 8 hour day) you'd be given more new projects or assigned old ones that were screwed up by someone else
  • anewmeforever
    Options
    I think it's a stereotype like any other. To generalize an entire group of people based upon one attribute has ALWAYS seemed silly and pointless, and shows only that person's ignorance, imo.

After saying that, I might add, I have weighed 297 lbs, and got down to 164 lbs. Now I'm somewhere in the middle again. And to be completely and entirely honest, I would NEVER classify myself as a lazy person, period. But if I had to self assess, honestly, I am more active at 164 lbs than I was at 297 lbs, and more than I am even now. So, I'm assuming there's some accuracy to it, for some people.
  • MrUgly
    MrUgly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say because you are fat you are lazy. I work over 45 hours a week. Take care of 2 boys and my husband, clean the house, do laundry , dishes. I am up at 6 and go to bed around 10:30. I don't even get 8 hours of sleep.

It is such an assumption. I just make bad food choices- sometimes just for convience.

Well, I understand but there are steps that can be taken. I work 45 hours a week and have a 2 1/2 hour commute time. Here is my day:

0500 - Up.
    0505 - Call the people that want wake up call so they can work out
    0515 - Out the door for my jog/bike ride
    0615 - In from jog/bike ride. (Jogging takes less time, so I splurge and read 'icanhazcheezburger.com. Don't judge me.)
    0620 - SSS
    0700 - Out the door to the train
    0815 - In office
    1710 - Leave for train
    1830 - Home
    1835 - 2000 Dinner with family, homework, light housekeeping (wife thinks it's too light, meh.)
    2000-2100 Decompress/layout clothes for the next day
    2100 - Bed.

No TV, no internet surfing, no screwing about. Is it fun? No. I miss playing my video games until midnight. I miss having a lazy weekend, instead of powering through all the cleaning/laundry/yardwork I missed during the week. On Saturday or Sunday, I make healthy vegetarian/vegan breakfasts and lunches for the week. Not only are they better for me, they are waaaay cheaper than getting some processed slop at Wendy McKings. Is it annoyingly regimented? Yes. Does it work? Yes. I've lost almost 40 pounds and my marriage and relationship with my son are improving because they know Daddy is happier when he isn't a fat, grouchy *kitten*.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    one of the problems i have with these type suggestions is that they tend to come off as glib. some of these things are easier said than done though depending on your job and where you live

- you're working 9-12 hours a day in the office mon-fri and many times coming back home and logging in from home to do more work, there's only so much time you're going to have to sleep, rest, grocery shop, workout etc. and many people in this country work those type hours and probably will be for awhile as the economy continues to do bad and employers essentially have to make due with each person being able to do the work of 3. back when i worked those crazy hours my walk after dinner (since usually had dinner at work) was walking to the subway station, taking the subway home and coming home to crash by midnight because i had to be up at 7 am to do the entire thing all over again :sad:

- if you're working 9-12 hour a day in an office then more than likely all 3 of your meals are being eaten in the office at your desk. it's difficult to eat a good sit down meal at your desk in front of a computer when you are meant to be chasing up on emails and files. i'm a PM and trust me, I AM that busy. i know people who work in other industries (education, financial, insurance) who were even busier than me :frown:

- taking the stairs and parking further away have never been valid options for me. i've lived and worked in NYC and san francisco. stairs are 1 way only which means you can go down them in an emergency but the doors are locked so even if i did walk up 22+ flights of stairs to get to my job, the stairwell door would be locked anyway and I'd have to walk back down to take the elevator.

- the public transportation version of parking further away can very easily take 20 minutes on to your time rather than the 1 minute from parking further. and sorry that's 20 minutes extra i can sleep especially considering i was already not getting enough sleep

not making excuses at all just saying that some of these suggestions that are thrown out for weight loss just arent very helpful. what finally helped me was being let go from my job last december. now i work from home. i'm in the same industry so i still get the same type stress but i'm not forced to be at my desk all the time. plus i work for a spanish company now and euros are way more into work/life balance than americans. as an example at my old job each PM had to keep a personal capacity work that our boss would look over. this report told him how many hours of work you had ahead of you that day. if you had less than 10 hours of work (for an 8 hour day) you'd be given more new projects or assigned old ones that were screwed up by someone else

I work 9 hours a day in my office (I hold two positions), Monday through Friday. I have an hour commute to and from work. I eat my breakfast in the car and my lunch at my desk. I just make the effort (not being lazy) and make good food choices. So perhaps parking farther away for your office and taking the stairs is not an option all the time. How close do you park to the grocery store? When you go shopping at a mall, you take the escalator or elevator, don't you? Choosing 20 minutes of extra sleep over 20 minutes of exercise is just plain lazy. In fact everything you argued with are excuses. Sorry. Period. End of story.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    fat=lazy is what we group people in because when we see a larger person in the grocery store driving the grocery store scooter around, and the basket is filled with bad food choices we judge that person, and make an assumption.

If that person in a scooter had the basket filled with fruits and veggies, then we would cease to judge that person as being lazy.

People don't know the entire 'story' of others. They will ALWAYS assume and judge (in ALL areas) until they actually know the other person.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I work 9 hours a day in my office (I hold two positions), Monday through Friday. I have an hour commute to and from work. I eat my breakfast in the car and my lunch at my desk. I just make the effort (not being lazy) and make good food choices. So perhaps parking farther away for your office and taking the stairs is not an option all the time. How close do you park to the grocery store? When you go shopping at a mall, you take the escalator or elevator, don't you? Choosing 20 minutes of extra sleep over 20 minutes of exercise is just plain lazy. In fact everything you argued with are excuses. Sorry. Period. End of story.
    i never shopped in malls (i dnt even think here are any in NYC besides that one where only kids go) so i took neither escalator or elevators, i took the sidewalk but since i didnt really have time to shop in person i did a lot of online shopping. i dont drive so i took public transportation to the grocery store, so your parking tip is useless there (and no i'm not going to walk 60+ minutes with a weeks worth of groceries through crowded downtown brooklyn streets) and choosing 20 minutes of sleep when you're only getting 6 and NEED 8-9 isnt lazy.

not end of story. you make my point perfectly. so thanks. people try to fit their suggestions into every scenario. sorry dude but not every scenario is the same. now had i lived in middle america or the south your sugestions would make sense, but there are millions of people who live in large cities who these things aren't really appropriate for. bu i do love the assumptions that if your suggestions disnt work for me then i must be lazy. :laugh:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I would not say fat = lazy. I would say fat = full of excuses though. 78% of American's are not meeting basic activity level recommendations. 25% of those are completely sedentary. Factors such as a person's environment, metabolism, eating disorders and certain medical conditions also may contribute to their obesity. But the overwhelming majority of people who are overweight, obese or morbidly obese always have some excuse why they can't eat well and exercise. Don't give me the fast food is cheap bull$#!t either. Eating all that garbage and processed food will cost you tens--if not hundreds--of thousands of dollars in preventable medical costs.

Everybody take note, I was just serious in the "Chit-chat, fun, and games" forum. Does it bother anybody else of the improper use of a comma in the forum title?

Actually, read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes... Physical activity doesn't really do much but make you hungrier than you already are when you're on a semi-starvation diet. This book will change your perspective of fat people. Thanks.

Gary Taubes is dangerous with the stuff he spouts.

That line alone shows how ridiculous he is - physical activity doesn't do much but make you hungrier...

You may lose WEIGHT with his techniques but you won't gain health or even look that great at the end of it.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

i never shopped in malls (i dnt even think here are any in NYC besides that one where only kids go) so i took neither escalator or elevators, i took the sidewalk but since i didnt really have time to shop in person i did a lot of online shopping. i dont drive so i took public transportation to the grocery store, so your parking tip is useless there (and no i'm not going to walk 60+ minutes with a weeks worth of groceries through crowded downtown brooklyn streets) and choosing 20 minutes of sleep when you're only getting 6 and NEED 8-9 isnt lazy.

not end of story. you make my point perfectly. so thanks. people try to fit their suggestions into every scenario. sorry dude but not every scenario is the same. now had i lived in middle america or the south your sugestions would make sense, but there are millions of people who live in large cities who these things aren't really appropriate for. bu i do love the assumptions that if your suggestions disnt work for me then i must be lazy. :laugh:

The point is - he doesn't know your specific situation, so the suggestions he makes are easy for you to bat down. However, if you think about it, you would be able to fit in exercise, or at least eating less and better.

I know it definitely doesn't take MORE time to eat LESS.

You made the excuse that it's hard to eat a healthy meal at your desk. What makes that any harder than eating anywhere else? I eat at my desk every day and it's nearly always healthy.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say because you are fat you are lazy. I work over 45 hours a week. Take care of 2 boys and my husband, clean the house, do laundry , dishes. I am up at 6 and go to bed around 10:30. I don't even get 8 hours of sleep.

It is such an assumption. I just make bad food choices- sometimes just for convenience.

Your last phrase explains it.

You maybe overall a busy person but when it comes to food choices, there is it. Granted you have a lot of things to do but c'mon you can make yummy homemade meals in less than an hour.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    To me fat does = lazy. I was too lazy to think about myself and my body. I would eat crap because I was too lazy to prepare a proper meal. I wouldn't exercise because I was too lazy to get off my backside instead of watching TV.
    You might be busy in some aspects of your life but if you're fat you aren't taking that time and effort to care for yourself, taking shortcuts in terms of nutrition and exercise is lazy.
    Since I started MFP I've realised just how much hard wok it is but it needs to be done.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    People love labeling things and other people, it helps us understand the world in a more simplistic light because it's easier to do that than to step into another person's shoes and look at the world from their perspective.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Like has been said before, it's a stereotype. That means that it's probably based on fact, but with a little wiggle room here and there. I would tend to think that obese (I refuse to use the word "fat" to describe a person) people are *more likely* to be lazy. But the people here on myfitnesspal are at least making an attempt to lose some weight. There are lazy people who are slim, definitely.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Like has been said before, it's a stereotype. That means that it's probably based on fact, but with a little wiggle room here and there. I would tend to think that obese (I refuse to use the word "fat" to describe a person) people are *more likely* to be lazy. But the people here on myfitnesspal are at least making an attempt to lose some weight. There are lazy people who are slim, definitely.

Not everyone who is overweight is obese.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you are on MFP, even though you may be fat you are not lazy since you are taking the steps to improve your health. There are people however that are fat and lazy....my mother is one of them...she comes home from work eats dinner and doesn't move from the coach after that. My brother on the other hand doesn't stop moving but he is also very overweight because he can get kicked out of an all you can eat buffet. I think there are lots of different types of people who have weight issues for many types of reasons. I think people just assume that because you are overweight then you must be lazy because why else would you be overweight (not my assumption because I know better:) ) I never sit down either with working full time and 3 kids in the evenings and activities but until I took control of my health I was not able to lose the weight either.
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    the only thing thats lazy is my metabolism!!