I want britneys abs!!

Options
woo! Im excited! I bought an ab exercise machine today:smile: I'm super happy!

Anyway... my question is...

how many crunches/sit ups should I start off with? And how fast should I see results?

I'm 5''6 and weigh 130lbs

Thankies :flowerforyou:

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Well, you wont get results by just doing crunches and sit ups. You should also add in plank moves, bicycle crunches, reverse crunches, scissor crunches, etc.

There is no real set of reps or any time you can expect to see the results. You just have to work at it. I usually do multiple sets of 15 - 20. The amount of sets depends on how I am feeling.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I don't think there are any prescribed time frame... it depends on how hard you exercice, how deep under your abs are hidding and how clean you eat.

But if that can motivates you, I never really exerciced before Spring 2009 and I got my 4-pack in less than a 100 days doing no more than 10 minutes abs exercice 2 to 3 times a week (in addition to my cardio routine which also really targets the abds).

You can do it ! :flowerforyou:
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    If u want to see ur abs its goin to take more than crunches, u have to do a lot of cardio, and eat VERY VERY well!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Crunches are a good start but not all you have to do. Time frame for results really depends on many different factors. Some people can tone the stomach area easier than others. My advice would be to just get started and see what happens. There is no way to know how each person will tone. I hate advertisments that say things like get a six pack in 6 weeks. Seriously
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well, you wont get results by just doing crunches and sit ups. You should also add in plank moves, bicycle crunches, reverse crunches, scissor crunches, etc.

There is no real set of reps or any time you can expect to see the results. You just have to work at it. I usually do multiple sets of 15 - 20. The amount of sets depends on how I am feeling.

:drinker:

I wasted many months with crunches. Then the trainer had me doing the above, in different sequences and my waist went down by 2 inches.

Takes time, effort and good healthy eating to go along with it.

What was REALLY important to me was having the strength to get out of bed in the morning without groaning!!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • StayHealthy2009
    Options
    Don't forget to do cardio. Your cruches will not do much good if you don't have your cardio.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    When Britney was at her peak, I heard she was doing 1000 crunches per day. When it comes to abs, do as many as you can, and then do a few more.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I think doing 1000 crunches a day is ridiculously bad for the back...

Abs will usually develop quite easily on most people and crunches are otionnal to this. If you want abs that show through, you have to bring your body fat to below 25%, which usually means doing cardio and eating clean. If you want ripped abs, washboard style, you need to lower it to around 15%, which is what was meant be eating super clean and working out really hard.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think doing 1000 crunches a day is ridiculously bad for the back...

Abs will usually develop quite easily on most people and crunches are otionnal to this. If you want abs that show through, you have to bring your body fat to below 25%, which usually means doing cardio and eating clean. If you want ripped abs, washboard style, you need to lower it to around 15%, which is what was meant be eating super clean and working out really hard.

I wasn't suggesting 1000 crunches, by the way. lol
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Visible abdominals come from FAT LOSS. They are made in the kitchen more than the gym.

Once you have low enough body fat (usually <20% for a female), you have to cause hypertrophy, or growth, in your abdominal muscles. This comes from weighted ab work, not 1000's of crunches. IF you can do 1000 of something, it's not challenging enough to cause changes in the muscle.

And like geicko said...1000 crunches is just no good for you. Crunches in general are usually done with poor form anyway.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

:drinker:

I wasted many months with crunches. Then the trainer had me doing the above, in different sequences and my waist went down by 2 inches.

Takes time, effort and good healthy eating to go along with it.

What was REALLY important to me was having the strength to get out of bed in the morning without groaning!!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:

I know a strong core is important. I have been trying to find other very effective moves to strengthen my core, but so far the only ones I do are: Bicycles - legs lifted, bent at 90degrees crunches - side bends with 25lb weights- crunches on the ball - back extensions - and sit ups on the bench thing (sorry my descriptions suck :huh: ) On cardio days, I do the elliptical then abs and pushups, Treadmill then abs and pushups, bicycle and abs and pushups. Weight lifting days I do abs and pushups inbetween weight sets. I don't have a lot of belly fat and I can actually see a little bit of definition if I flex, but I definitely dont think I have a STRONG core. Do you guys have any suggestions for me?

Not trying to jack OP's thread :flowerforyou: