I am so tired! Any tips for exercise recovery?

nnoland
nnoland Posts: 15 Member
I have been doing a triathlon class since June 11th and every day that I go to work after my 1.5 hour workout I am so exhausted! Every time I stand up to walk I feel like my limbs weigh a ton! I am not sore...but all I want to do is sleep!

Am I overtraining? I still want to go because I have a triathlon on July 15th and want to be prepared.

What do others do to keep from being so tired after exercising? I eat a bowl of cereal after my workouts and usually have some coffee. I eat cottage cheese and fruit before the work out. Maybe I need a new recovery meal??

Replies

• jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    I have been doing a triathlon class since June 11th and every day that I go to work after my 1.5 hour workout I am so exhausted! Every time I stand up to walk I feel like my limbs weigh a ton! I am not sore...but all I want to do is sleep!

Am I overtraining? I still want to go because I have a triathlon on July 15th and want to be prepared.

What do others do to keep from being so tired after exercising? I eat a bowl of cereal after my workouts and usually have some coffee. I eat cottage cheese and fruit before the work out. Maybe I need a new recovery meal??

REST....listen to your body my friend.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    You need to be taking in some recovery food within 30 min of your workout at a 4:1 ratio. Chocolate milk or something like Ensure or boost are easy things to use.

And sleep more
  • Eat a protein bar, Pure Protein for instance, about 30 minutes before your workout!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    You probably just need to add some rest. You will be better trained for the race if you don't arrive at the start line exhausted. Don't worry about it if you have to skip a few sessions or take them easier than normal. Next training cycle you will be better prepared and will be able to handle a larger training load.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    You probably just need to add some rest. You will be better trained for the race if you don't arrive at the start line exhausted. Don't worry about it if you have to skip a few sessions or take them easier than normal. Next training cycle you will be better prepared and will be able to handle a larger training load.

Before I left on vaca I could not do an hour of Zumba and was worried that when I came back I'd be back at the beginning. My first night back I did the whole hour and been doing it every since. So this is pretty good advice. I did nothing for the week of vaca.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member

Reverse that snack. Have the sugary cereal BEFORE the workout, and the protein-rich cottage cheese AFTER the workout. The coffee is fine on either side, but I'd leave it until after. Add a handful of nuts and possibly a banana to that after-workout snack, too, and see if that helps.

Also, you really should be having some sort of a recovery snack every hour of working out. It doesn't have to be much, but it should be at least 100-200 calories with a bias toward carbohydrates and a little protein (unless you're on a low-carb diet like Atkins, in which case I think there are specific refuel recommendations for that).

But, yeah, if you're doing a 1.5 hour workout THEN a triathlon training class, you may be overdoing it. I'd start with nutrition first, though.
  • nnoland
    nnoland Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks guys...ya today I had a protein bar after my workout and took it a little easier and feel much better. I don't think the cereal was helping after working out...but it tasted really good :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Thanks guys...ya today I had a protein bar after my workout and took it a little easier and feel much better. I don't think the cereal was helping after working out...but it tasted really good :)

Yeah, cereal of any kind is pretty much a garbage carbohydrate. Slow-cooked oats would be the better choice. Do you log your food in MFP? If so, would you open your diary? I agree with one of the other posters, I'm willing to bet the issue is largely due to nutrition.

Yes, you're definitely over-trained at this point. Maybe for now just walk a little until you've recovered.