nutrition question (A little embarassing)

Options
Okay, I hope I don't offend or embarrass anyone, :blushing: I have hypothyroidism, and one side effect of that is constipation. I have tried many things to get moving with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions I could try. I have tried eating fiber one bars, up to three a day with no success, I have taken laxatives, and if I take four of those two nights in a row, then I have success, but then it is diarrhea for a day or so, I just want to find a way to go naturally not this yo yo effect.
HELP Please :sad:

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    My little girl uses Miralax every day and it helps her. Constipation is a side effect of her neurological system being messed up.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    try bananas and papayas. natural laxatives :)
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to argue but bananas block my little girl up really bad, I mean like you have no idea.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    prune juice
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I don't know what causes it for me, but I suffer from constipation too. I find stool softeners much more gentle than laxatives, and they're very effective. You want to look for the something with the active ingredient docusate sodium. You can take one to three at bedtime. I'll be taking three tonight. :blushing: I also drink lots of water and get as much fiber in my diet as possible (without taking fiber supplements — those make me miserable). Still, I need to take something for it a good share of the time. Good luck!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Coffee with possibly flavored creamers? I know those are a lot of calories, but both of these help.

This may be TMI but after my c-section the only thing that would help was a suppository.

Try walking or running. When babies are having a hard time they say to move their legs in a running motion and its supposed to help.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Hey, I sort of have an idea of what you're going through. I went through a bout of thyroiditis last year and also deal with gastritis/esophagitis. I used to bloat up really bad when I ate and after trying all sorts of meds (tons of different ones- expensive ones too, uggh) I finally decided to give the activia thing a try. My mom swears by it. She has IBS. I was desperate. Believe it or not, it worked within 3 or 4 days, I think. I don't think it even has to be that brand... just one with the same live cultures in it. I like the Greek yogurt, unsweetened more since it's better for me and I can put whatever I want in it. But activia was a good kick start... haha.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    saw this on the Dr. Oz show yesterday I also suffer from the same thing due to my thyroid. so here is a link hope it helps

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/third-nipples-stretch-marks-and-constipation
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Water, fiber, yogurt, and coffee are the best things I can recommend. Those are all a big part of my diet and I actually never ever ever have a problem with constipation. Good luck!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    There is a new product on the market called Lax-a-Day - it's kind of like a synthetic fibre - it holds the water in your system and works really well. At least with this product and lots of water it helps to keep things from clogging up.

You might want to talk to your Dr. about drugs for "gastrointestinal motility" - II have the same problem with the medication I am taking...it's more that my bowel is lazy and doesn't move things through.

Also with all this talk of fiber these days, make sure you are getting enough of the right kind - you notice that products that promote high fiber don't necessarily tell you which form of fiber it is high in...

Soluble fiber slows digestion and helps your body absorb vital nutrients from foods. It can be found in peas, beans, and apples.
    Insoluble fiber adds bulk to the stool, helping foods pass more quickly through the stomach and intestines. It can be found in wheat bran.
  • kzalusky360
    Options
    and when you do have the urge to go after all of these wonderful suggestions...don't hunch over and push....sit tall and straight...and you can even put your hands over your head to elongate your spine and digestive tract. kick your feet back under the toilet a little to simulate crouching. i know this all sounds ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS but i read a book once called "organizing from the inside out" and these were recommendations for more productive bowel movements.

(sidenote...the book was more about organizing your LIFE and i was shocked when i started reading about pooping hahah but i have tried the suggestions and they really work. the thought behind it was that originally (pre-toilet times) we had to squat down to go....sitting tall...creating a straight path out! )

omg i cant believe i just typed all that. i sound like a poop expert. ;)

good luck haha
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I am not trying to argue but bananas block my little girl up really bad, I mean like you have no idea.

hmm, didn't know that. i guess it depends on the individuals. it works for me :)
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    My doctor told me that any fruit or veg that started with "P" helps you poo. I use it as a rule of thumb and it works for me, as well as coffee!
  • StayHealthy2009
    Options
    hi! i had hemorrhoidectomy three months ago and getting constipated is not an option for me anymore after the operation. i drink prune juice everyday and it really works. it doesn't taste great but it's better better than taking medication or any other laxatives. my doctor discourages me from taking laxatives to avoid dependency. cheers.
  • StayHealthy2009
    Options
    and a diet rich in high fiber (green leafy vegetables and fruits) also helps a lot. cheers.
  • jseward
    Options
    Thanks to all who answered. I will try the suggestions and see what happens..:laugh: