Paleo Diet?

Options
2dogzrule
2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
Hello, I have just started reading about this diet and was curious to hear other people's opinions, successes and/or failures? The plan sounds great, but I am cautious to try it as the fat content is tremendous.

Replies

• Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Meh, keep calories within limit to lose weight, no need to turn into a caveman.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have just started reading about this diet and was curious to hear other people's opinions, successes and/or failures? The plan sounds great, but I am cautious to try it as the fat content is tremendous.

I wouldn't worry to much about fat content and as I understand it you don't need to go excessively low carb on Paleo, but you may want to ask some of the paleo folks about that as I am not one of them.

I will say that the desire to consume less processed foods is a good one, but you don't necessarily need to go Paleo to take that principle and apply it to a diet that includes moderation. I also believe that elimination of certain food items is unwarranted provided you don't have an intolerance to those food items.

But, I'll stop there since people get a bit sensitive about these things.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry to much about fat content and as I understand it you don't need to go excessively low carb on Paleo, but you may want to ask some of the paleo folks about that as I am not one of them.

I will say that the desire to consume less processed foods is a good one, but you don't necessarily need to go Paleo to take that principle and apply it to a diet that includes moderation. I also believe that elimination of certain food items is unwarranted provided you don't have an intolerance to those food items.

But, I'll stop there since people get a bit sensitive about these things.

Agreed. I lean towards the primal blueprint as much as I can. I ideally shoot for 80% "primal approved" foods. Doesn't happen ALL the time.. but most of the time I am ok.

I couldn't do Paleo only because if I had to give up bread AND dairy.. I would go batpoo crazy.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Also.. the fat count is usually higher than what you are used to seeing, but most of the time its the GOOD non processed fats from nuts, oils etc
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    paleo-flowchart.jpg&sa=X&ei=9RbrT62VD4ncqgGTsdzGBQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH2Yc54jSZWhEVHTIu-QQK4bqokrg
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Im currently eating what would be classed as paleo, but I just tell people Im eating 'clean'. I havent eaten any processed foods in almost a fortnight, and I feel great. The first couple of days I had a headache, but it went pretty quickly. Im enjoying a variety of yummy foods, and for once in years not stressing about calories. Im not eating too uch fat either, and what Im eating is 'good fat', like fish, avocados and nuts.

As sidesteal said, the best thing to do is just eat cleanly. I do have an intolerance to gluten,so it works well for me. Ive never tried cutting out dairy before but Im not really missing it so its fine.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

As sidesteal said,

To clarify, I think that consuming "mostly" nutrient dense and minimally processed foods is a good principle. I don't actually think people need to divide foods into clean and/or dirty brackets and adopt an all or nothing approach.

I'm not knocking your methods just to be clear. I'm glad you've found what's working for you. I'm only clarifying your paraphrasing above.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Haha, sorry I did paraphrase a little. I just meant I agree with the desire to cut down on processed foods :)
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Urgh it's a fad. There are good principals about eating unadultered meat and vegetables but seriously just find a balance of foods that make you feel good and work for you. If you can say 'no' to bread for the rest of your life then Paleo might be up your street but personally I like to make my own diet that keeps me feeling good and doesn't ban food groups.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think the principles are quite sound - eating food that is "mostly" nutrient dense and minimally processed foods, i couldn't ever see myself taking it to extremes though..
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Julian Bakery out in California is debuting the Paleo Bread this Friday, actually. There are two varieties: one made with Almond flour and the other, Coconut Flour. Everyone in the Paleo community who knows about this can't wait to start eating bread again.

http://www.facebook.com/ThePaleoBread

ouze4l.png

2qvqxk8.png
  • stuffinmuffin
    Options
    Julian Bakery out in California is debuting the Paleo Bread this Friday, actually. There are two varieties: one made with Almond flour and the other, Coconut Flour. Everyone in the Paleo community who knows about this can't wait to start eating bread again.

http://www.facebook.com/ThePaleoBread

ouze4l.png

2qvqxk8.png

So that's not a money making spin if ever I saw one....along with Atkin's and Weightwatchers products. Let's look at who's really benefitting here the $60 billion diet industry or the Paleo follower?! :noway:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    They already make a Zero Carb and Smart Carb bread which boasts 0 and 2 net carbs, respectively. In fact, at the Natural Grocer where I buy the stuff, the staff happily admit that those two breads by far outsell every other bread they stock. So much so they added twice the refrigerator space to stock them. But I must admit, with the Paleo bread debuting, it will be quite popular.
  • stuffinmuffin
    Options
    But normal bread is so tasty!!!! It's much better not made of cave dust! :wink:
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Love it and been doing it for 14 months or so. When acquaintances ask what i'm doing, I just tell them i'm eating clean and getting my animal protein from good sources. I've learned not to say "paleo" in mixed company.

It isn't for everybody, but I recommend trying it for a month or two to see if it works for you. If not, then move onto something else and keep researching to find what works best. My opinion is that people have different metabolic profiles based on age, gender and genetics etc.
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My brother and his friend are doing this diet. They have been on it a few weeks now. My brother, who doesn't have much to lose, has lost 12 lbs. His friend, who has about 100 lbs to lose, has lost 22 lbs. They both work out daily. Myself, I need a bit more moderation than that, as I love my cheese and ice cream. But I think it is a good choice if you can do it. I may be losing weight much slower than them, but I can live with my choices for the rest of my life.
  • AEMJones
    AEMJones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've started following Paleo and can tell a huge difference in the way I feel. Last year I had a Dr. diagnose me with Fibromyalgia and I chose to stay away from the medicine and try changing what I was putting into my body. I feel so much better and am loving not having the side effects of the medicine.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Does it sound like something you can keep up with after you reach your goal weight? If yes, go for it! If not, find another way to watch what you eat that you can keep up with for the rest of your life.

Personally, I eat what I want when I want just in smaller portions than I did before. I know that I can keep doing that forever, so I stick with it.
  • msharif71
    msharif71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    But normal bread is so tasty!!!! It's much better not made of cave dust! :wink:

Amen!
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Don't confuse Paleo with Atkins. Paleo isn't telling you to eat bacon every day. Lean meats are suggested and lots of fruits and veggies. I personally don't follow the "no legume" part of the rule, nor do I avoid dairy 100% (maybe just 90), but other than that, it's a good plan if you have issues with grains like me.