30 Day Shred

Options
Hi, I am going to be starting the 30 Day Shred on Monday. I have a lot of weight to lose so I will be doing cardio as well. I was just wondering if it mattered if I do cardio before or after the 30 Day Shred. Thanks.

Replies

• stephbo4
    stephbo4 Posts: 26
    Options
    You mean in the same day? Like you're going to do either cardio then 30DS, or 30DS then cardio?
  • donna130278
    Options
    you will be too tired to do any more cardio after 30 day shred but its worth it
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    you should always do cardio after strength training, you'll be so pumped you're going to want to run 3 miles... I just finished day 8 of level 2, literally as I type this.. so it's great and you'll love it! you'll hate her, but love the differences you'll see. :) good luck!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I like to do my cardio after 30DS. It gets me nice and warmed up, then I just continue the burn. Plus I can put the highest effort into 30DS and cardio turns into the afterburn/recovery keeping my HR at reasonable levels.
  • caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter if you do it before or after the 30 Day Shred... if you mean doing both in the same day.

If you mean completing the 30 Day Shred then starting up cardio... then I think you should reevaluate it and consider doing both at the same time.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    30DS has some cardio built in. What cardio and how much do you plan on doing? You said you have a lot of weight to lose...you might want to consider alternating a day of cardio with a day of 30DS and a nice walk because 30DS can be a bit rough on your knees.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of ppl say that they didn't loose too much weight doing just the 30DS but they lost inches and their clothes fit better or they lost a clothing size. I would say, and I'm also starting 30DS on Monday so I'll send you a freind request, that you'll see better results all around if you did both. Not in the same day though. That's too much for me even. I am going to do 30DS daily and then 4 days of cardio throughout the week.

Just my 2 cents.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do my 30DS in the am before work. Then do my running or elliptical in the afternoon/evening. I'm not at the level yet where i can do both right after each other.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Start with 30DS first, it is a fabulous workout. Take measurements and eat back those exercise calories!
  • Tori1981
    Tori1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am going to be starting the 30 Day Shred on Monday. I have a lot of weight to lose so I will be doing cardio as well. I was just wondering if it mattered if I do cardio before or after the 30 Day Shred. Thanks.

I would advise to do strengh on the days you do the shred, if your doing it every day (instead of every 2nd day) then one day do cardio a few hours after and alt days do strengh.

Good luck hunny it does get easier with every time ;)
  • jburls23
    jburls23 Posts: 22
    Options
    I like doing a 30-40 min jog afterward... after the intensity of the 30DS, the jog/run (5.2mph) feels awesome! I feel like a machine! And I definitely feel like Ive done some serious work when I wake up the next morning :) good luck!!
  • debomommyforhealth
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs after having my daughter, doing the the 30 day shred 5x/wk for 3 months and eating 1200-1300/calories a day..and no extra cardio. I think there is enough cardio built in. If you push yourself and eat right, then you should see results just from this program! Now, after having my son, I did the 30 day shred but was eating too much and didn't get the weight off (that is why I joined MyFitnessPal). Good luck! Another Jillian Michaels video I LOVE it "Blast Fat, Boost Metabolism"....good cardio incorporated into toning
  • mel5989
    mel5989 Posts: 80
    Options
    I can not find the 30 day in the database. How do I know how many cals I burned? Or do I need a HMR for that?
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Jst sent you a friend request!
  • mel5989
    mel5989 Posts: 80
    Options
    I can not find the 30 day in the database. How do I know how many cals I burned? Or do I need a HMR for that?
    ?
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options

I've been logging it as 20 mins of circuit training as that's about the closest and was what most people on here recommended.
  • kesiarosanna
    Options
    you can log 30ds under circuit training, that's what everyone i know who's doing it does unless they have a HRM and that's what i was told to do too. apparently the estimated calories are pretty accurate. hope that helps!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I do my 30DS in the am before work. Then do my running or elliptical in the afternoon/evening. I'm not at the level yet where i can do both right after each other.

Got my DVD tonight and did the first workout tonight.
    Am going to do this!
    Sounds brilliant idea.
    First thing in the morning will leave me feeling great if today's first workout is anything to go by.
    Thanks for the idea.

Will cycle some nights for extra cardio.
  • nancymt83
    nancymt83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm still on Level 1, but have burned roughly 150 calories every time (according to my HRM).