Heart Rate Monitor watches....

Options
I hope you guys can help.

I hear that a heart rate monitor can give you a more accurate calories burned number plus a lot of other helpful info.
I was thinking about getting a HRM watch, but there are so many brand names (Gramin, Polar, Suunto, Timex, etc.) and the prices vary as well.

I bike, run and weight train. I'd like to know my heart rate, distance, calories burned, and probably some other info I need to know but can't think of right now. :smile:

Which one will give me the best info I need? What do you guys use??

Replies

• pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. It's basic, but calculates calories burned and whatnot. I got mine for around $60 on Amazon. I like that it is compatible with most machinery at the gym (I still do most cardio at the gym since my foot isn't quite up for running just yet.) Using the HRM has made my workouts so much better; it really helps with my circuit training.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you want distance included, I belive Garmin is the way to go. They have some really incredible GPS watches -- but of course that bumps up the price considerably.

I have a Polar FT7 and am thrilled with it (for heartrate and calorie burn). I use it with my iPhone in an armband when I want to know the distance I'm running or cycling.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Bluetooth HRM that I absolutely love! It does not require a watch receiver, because it works with the apps on your smartphone. I use it with the SportsTracker app, and it gives me calories burned, distance, elevation, speed, pace and a nifty little map to show where I've been. You can buy one online for about $70 plus shipping.
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. It's basic, but calculates calories burned and whatnot. I got mine for around $60 on Amazon. I like that it is compatible with most machinery at the gym (I still do most cardio at the gym since my foot isn't quite up for running just yet.) Using the HRM has made my workouts so much better; it really helps with my circuit training.

^^This. Plus, it's cute and FITS on my wrist and is very sturdy. And I can't even feel the chest strap. It shows you calories burned, how long you've been going, and where you are in your heart rate %. I constantly look at it (it will also chime for you if you want) to make sure I'm in my optimal range. I found that I burn almost twice the amount of calories than what MFP estimates.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    bump...been looking into getting an HRM as well...
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    polar ft 40 in white! love mine. gives me breakdowns of all my workouts and stores them in files
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 last weekend and so far it is way cool to use at the gym. Shows me calories burned and it links to almost every machine in the gym. Guess I need to check the stepmill I have tried everything but eliptical and stepmill and only one it didnt link to was rowing machine.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I got mine at walmart and it has everything that I wanted for $40. Shows cals burned, time, distance, how many steps you took...etc. Yeah, I'm cheap like that :)
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I love my Garmin 405 for things such as outdoor running, biking etc, but be warned if you are going to do stationary exercises such as a treadmil or eliptical it will not calculate calories burned. This is because it requires distance traveled in its formula to calculate the calorie burn. So, you would need a second HRM for stationary type exercises. That being said I still love having it for the outdoor exercises!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am in love with my polar FT7. Seriously in love. I have had it for two years and it works like brand new
  • barney50501Missy
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7...love it!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a Polar FT7 myself, because I am looking to clock strength training & cycling, but I am still gonna use my FitBit Ultra because it tracks my walking/jogging.

Best I can say, to do everything you are looking for, you might need to items over just one (IE: pedometer + app, hrm + app) unless you go with ones like the Garmin or maybe that Nike iphone things I've seen.
  • perrydjlj
    perrydjlj Posts: 6
    Options
    buy a cheap basic one, give it a whirl an if you like it go for a garmin or polar. you won't go wrong with one of them
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Polar have been the best, but the others are catching up. I still use a Polar 610i, and use that for swimming/walking and cycling. The software can be a bit fussy, and Polar is expensive, they change watch models frequently and bump the cost of new ones right up.

That bluetooth sounds enticing. Something without all the fol de rol would be nice and $70 is cheap.

brendan
  • b_fit4life
    b_fit4life Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin FR60. It's awesome because it's soo versatile! I can use just the watch if I want to track time, or I can us the HRM strap and foot pod if I want more data (distance, pace, cadence, heart rate, cals burned, etc etc). You can set up to track something a little different for each workout or select one setting and it stays for all work outs until you change it again. You can set alerts (HR zones, cal goal, distance goal, time target, lap alerts, etc) or you can just turn it on and hit stop when your done to see the grand totals. I would recommend it. I've had mine for a few months now and the more I use it, the more I love it! One of it's best features...get it close to your computer (once you've downloaded the software and have the USB stick plugged in) and your exercise data automatically uploads to garminconnect.com where you can see charts and graphs of your progress, etc. You can check out the user manual online if you want to get a better idea about whether it's for you or not.

It's also pretty comfortable and not super bulky like some of the watches can be.
    ALSO, I researched for a good month before making my decision to purchase this watch/ HRM system.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I´m thinking the same and after google search I have two in mind. Polar FT4 or FT7
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options
    I like my Motoactv, it has a built in GPS,mp3 player, and can connect to optional HRM and foot pods. It is just as costly as the top of the line Garmin ones but I like the app that it uses. It even tells me how many calories I have burned during each song. Although I don't recommend using the foot pod while working outdoors...it didn't calculate the distance correctly while I was using the elliptical machine.
    As a female my wrist it too small for the watch band so that is my one dislike.
  • 42diesel
    42diesel Posts: 7
    Options
    What are the differences between the Polar FT4 and FT7 and are they worth the extra cost?
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin 405 for things such as outdoor running, biking etc, but be warned if you are going to do stationary exercises such as a treadmil or eliptical it will not calculate calories burned. This is because it requires distance traveled in its formula to calculate the calorie burn. So, you would need a second HRM for stationary type exercises. That being said I still love having it for the outdoor exercises!

I fogot to mention that the Polar Bluetooth will also work with the app to record your gym workouts. There is a function that will record the heart rate only, no movement.