anyone else have scale issues???

Options
2»

Replies

• ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    the Scale is probably wrong and you need to replace it. Also if your doing any weights or working out a lot you can gain muscle mass while still losing inches from your waste.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Don't you have any scales in local chemists? You the ones I mean, you'll probably have to pay 20 cents or something but at least you'll know what's what.
  • DeeShows
    DeeShows Posts: 8
    Options
    One of the scales needs to be calibrated. If your parents is old, it may be theirs! My dad recently bought a digital WW scale and took it to the dr's office and they measured the same. When is the last time your parents scale was calibrated?
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My home scale was the same as my dr scale within 2 lbs when I started this back in Jan ( I attribute the 2 lbs more at DR due to my clothes! ;-D) and then we had a work fitness event where I weighed in Feb and I'd lost 6 lbs at that time I think, and it was accurate to home also within .5 of a lb. I weighed myself at my gym on one of those old fashioned move the stick scales and it showed 10 lbs heavier. I was like wtf??! No way I've lost only 12 lbs in 5 months so now that reading about the old scales, I'm sure it's off it's calibration and I'll just continue to weigh at home or dr.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    I don't believe in the scales at all. I once weighed myself in the morning before going to the toilet, then again after I'd had a long wee. Somehow, expelling all that water made me GAIN 2lbs ...
  • fabilonga
    fabilonga Posts: 4
    Options
    Girl unless you are very very overweight I don't recommend relaying on any scale...its just not very accurate. Take a look at this http://thisiswherelifegetsgood.tumblr.com/post/12917639122 I recommend take your measures and get your BIM percentage! I used to obsess with scale and it only got me to gain more weight. Now i'm taking my measures every Friday and I'm seeing a lot of results and dropping pant sizes :)
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Turn your bathroom scale over and read the label. NOT LEGAL FOR TRADE. That is there because the manufacturer has chosen not to meet the federal standards for scales. Hey, that is fine, but it tells you something about believability. So, that scale could send you to jail if you were selling pumpkins by the pound and yet you believe what it says about your body!

By the way, just because you digital scale shows your weight to two decimal places doesn't mean anything about its true accuracy or repeatability.
  • fabilonga
    fabilonga Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't believe in the scales at all. I once weighed myself in the morning before going to the toilet, then again after I'd had a long wee. Somehow, expelling all that water made me GAIN 2lbs ...
  • Sheila4046
    Sheila4046 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have a WW scale and it's accurate, pretty sure it's your parents scale needs to be calobriated. :)
  • minadee
    minadee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Only when my skin feels dry.

LOL.
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that puts out some crazy readings sometimes. My husband figured out that you can more it around the room on the tile and get different readings. I had always used mine in the same spot.
    The past couple days it has been throwing out numbers way off- for example I know I didn't lose 13lbs over night- no way! :noway:

It read the wrong number repeatedly then I left and came back in about 10 Minutes, tried again and it looked correct.
    I just use mine to make sure I am staying on track, I really use my Dr's more for the accuracy.
    I'm going to try replacing the batteries, it is getting to be a few years old.
  • danielledimedio1985
    Options
    thank you everyone! :)
  • Judontmesswithme
    Options
    Hi Danielle,

I am a nurse, and I work in a doctor's office. Unfortunately, many people think that the big clunky weighted scale is outdated and needs to be calibrated. Unfortunately, the digital ones just aren't as accurate. There are many reasons for this: the weighted scales balance weight differently, and they really can't be inaccurate unless they aren't zeroed out. The little simple bathroom scales aren't accurate, and you can tell when you zero it, then step on it, and when you step off, it isn't zeroed anymore. The digital ones are a little better, but there is really no way to calibrate them. The ones at the office have to be calibrated every so often because physicians really need an accurate reading.

That said, when you go to the doctor's, unless you go at exactly the same time of day everyday and you wear exactly the same clothing, it may still be different than what you see at home. You should pick the same time of day (preferably first thing in the morning), and check once every week (not every day), using the same scale. Regardless of what it says, that's really the only way to determine how much you are actually losing.

Here's a link for differences in scales:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/184126-most-accurate-body-weight-scales/

Good luck!
  • danielledimedio1985
    Options
    bump
  • Fat_Lenny
    Fat_Lenny Posts: 38
    Options
    I prefer digital as my old one was really irritating because the red pin wobbled when I tried to take a reading, and I had to calibrate it before every use. I know digitals are not 100% accurate but I really love the German brand Beurer. They make lots of health & well-being related equipment too (available across Europe but not sure about the US. I find this make the most accurate.) I reckon the trick is to find one set of scales you like and stick with it for consistency, as even if you truly weigh 15 lbs more than you think you are, you'd be in blissful ignorance (at least for a while!) It can be disheartening at times, I totally understand that feeling, so I try not to weigh myself often and judge my progress on how my clothes fit and how strong I feel. :smile:
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I suspect the analog scale is out of tolerance.

I used to calibrate hundreds of these "doctor" type scales for all of the high schools in the Phoenix area for the schools' wrestling program. What I found is that these scales are typically fairly accurate but are much more prone to drift away from their stated accuracy over time. They rely on cheap internal mechanical parts that wear or break down leading to, in some cases, huge errors in readings. I found some that were off by as much as 25lbs.

In fact the calibration of these types of scales is voided if the scale is moved. That's how easy it is knock these things out of tolerance.

I would go with your digital scale, and rest easy. =)

YES THIS^^ I use to go to a gym where I would see someone calibrating the scales relatively often, this is very important for those types of scales! I'd toss the weight you got from your parents scale and toss it out the window and never think twice about it LOL
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I had to deal with a scale crisis a couple weeks ago that really messed with my mind for a few days:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/646238-my-new-scale-hates-me