Vegetarian/Vegan Barbecue?

Options
lizzynewm
lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
Hey guys! The fourth is right around the corner, and I'm having some friends over that night. My buddy's girlfriend is a vegetarian, and I want to be able to make her something as delicious as the ribs and chicken shish kabobs my carnivorous friends will be inhaling. I know there are a lot of barbecue recipes out there, but I figure some of you must have something tried and true! What are your favorites vegetarian/vegan barbecue recipes?

Replies

• lizzynewm
    Options
    bump. i know some of you have what i want.. :flowerforyou:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    My brother is vegetarian (and his girlfriend is vegan) and there are a few recipes I made up that they like. One is portobello burgers; get some large portobello mushrooms (and clean them really well), and marinate them (about an hour should do) in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar (about a 2:1 ratio of vinegar to oil) and whatever spices you'd like to add. Oil the grill and throw it on for a few minutes (make sure to reserve a meat-free corner), basting with the marinade. As for toppings, you can grill some thick tomato slices or even squash with a little of the marinade, or just put it on a bun with typical burger ingredients. If she eats egg, a little garlic mayo is great on a toasted bun as well; combine roasted garlic (it's super easy, just find the instructions online and do it in the oven) with some mayonnaise (and your other guests will probably like it too).

If you want a good side dish, try an edamame salad with shelled edamame (thawed frozen or fresh), corn, diced tomato, cilantro, salt/pepper, and a bit of olive oil. It's vegan (if that matters), really tasty, and quite colorful and nice to look at.

Sorry I don't have any recipes (I never use them, it's all in my head, haha) but you can usually find things pretty close if you just google for it.
  • lizzynewm
    Options
    ooh, portobello burgers is a good idea! thanks!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    portabello burgers are great, grill them face-down for a few mins then flip them and grill them face-up and toss some goat's cheese in them, melty and delicious!

tofu-kebabs marinated in something like a citrus ginger dressing are delicious! just google a recipe for tofu-kebabs (if you're never worked with tofu before you might want to also google up some tips on tofu!) add veggies for a full meal

stuffed portabello caps by Hungry Girl are great (I make them with diced sweet potato instead of squash), here's a recipe
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1325

I was vegetarian for a while and discovered that I like veggie hotdogs (Yves brand) better than real hot dogs! And they can be grilled on the BBQ.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed BBQ corn on the cob. Something about cooking it on a grill or in a fire just makes it taste better.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/GrillingCorn.htm
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    black bean burgers! i love the black bean quinoa recipe from vegetarian times, but also skinnytaste.com has one that i'm going to try soon!
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Aside from vegan patties or sausages for burgers and hotdogs, I like "chicken"-style pieces (or TVP chunks) marinaded in Nando's peri peri sauce or BBQ sauce on a skewer with diced peppers and onions for a spicy vegan kebab
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    It's very sweet of you to want to provide vegetarian options. You've gotten some great ideas. I love grilled portabellos (on or off a bun); veggie kabobs (Trader Joe's even sells these on the sticks); veggie hot dogs (Smart Dogs are my favorite) on buns; even just a grilled Griller or Boca Burger (veggie burger). Ooh, and as I side, I chopped zucchini and halved grape tomatoes with a little balsamic vinaigrette (just make sure you chop the zucchini, salt it, and let it drain to remove some of the liquid). Happy grilling!
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So considerate of you to plan a vegetarian option! Just wanted to add that you can grill the veggie option wrapped in or sitting on aluminum foil, if that's easier for you than keeping part of the grill meat-free. :smile:
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This year's go-to for me is to take blocks of tofu (a typical package, quartered), press the moisture out for at least an hour, marinade in curry sauce overnight, then plop them onto the grill until they get the char marks (about 5-7 minutes each side for top grate, 3-5 minutes each side main grate). They end up looking like those yellow cellulose sponges because of the curry sauce, but they taste great! The only downside is that they cool off quickly, so serve them immediately. These are great with mint chutney. This one is the only vegan recipe I use for grilling, unless it's just kebabs.

I've been wanting to try grilled watermelon, too, but haven't done it yet. The following recipe sounds good: Brush each side with olive oil, grill until marked on both sides and serve with mint sprigs, crumbled eta or soft goat cheese and oil/balsamic vinaigrette.

Like others on here, my family's standard accommodation for me is oil/balsamic-marinated portabella caps, grilled for 6-8 minutes each side and filled with herbed goat cheese or herbed boursin cheese. We've also filled them with tomato sauce, squash slices, mozzarella and torn basil leaves and finished under the broiler to make mini 'bella pizzas.
  • Fat_to_muscles
    Options
    - Green asparagus marinated in olive oil, soy sauce, and sesame seeds.
    - Mushrooms marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar (and soy sauce if you want, I just happen to love it).
    - Halloumi cheese can be grilled on the BBQ (slice it) and tastes fantastic, you are guaranteed to make friends wih this one!
    - Portobello mushrooms filled with Philadephia cream cheese (the 'garlic & herbs' version of the cheese) or Boursin.
    - Garlic bread.
    - Corn on the cob.
    - And of course veggie hamburgers/sausages (some brands: Quorn, Linda McCartney, Cauldron)

Hope this helps! Bon appetit!
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Tenderstem broccoli with some chilli, ginger and garlic and a very little oil, wrapped in foil - cooks in 5 mins!
  • lizzynewm
    Options
    thank you all for the ideas! i will definitely be using some of these!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Definitely halloumi! It's so salty good!

I always do mixed veg kebabs or you could do aubergine, mozzarella and tomato stacks - just wrap them in foil and BBQ them.