net cal 28

Options
ive eaten my dinner and im 28 calories net.. its 8.30pm.. any ideas what i should eat? my allowance a day is 1270 and i nearly have that to go again >.< my lunch was a bit on the small side but my dinner was huge.. i don't like peanut butter either.

i suppose it all boils down to eating back exercise calories and is it necessary??

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    That's a huge calorie deficit. Probably not sustainable in the long run but probably okay for today.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    maybe make a smoothie with some oats in it? That usually helps me and it's tasty: put some milk and berries, and oats in it.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, don't eat. You can use this as a cushion for the rest of the week if you want.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    the more u workout the more u need to eat. 1200 calories is barely anything on its own.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary and I am not seeing this number you speak of..
    :sad:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    That's a huge calorie deficit. Probably not sustainable in the long run but probably okay for today.

^^This.....you're set at a deficit already. Eat back your ex cals...some or all
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't know the right answer (secretly I'm not sure anyone does, really) but I don't eat all my exercise cals back. I use MFP figures and I think it way overestimates the burn. Having said that I'm just about to have a slice of wholewheat toast with a Whole Earth organic version of Nutella, to top up a bit.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary and I am not seeing this number you speak of..
    :sad:

she only ate 890 something and burned 860 something ...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Won't hurt you for one day but it'd be advisable to plan better for other days.
  • oNATo
    oNATo Posts: 1
    Options
    Common sense would suggest don't eat when your not hungry. I mean, isn't that a large reason why people are unnaturally overweight: Eating when you're not actually hungry?
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    From what I have been told, is that you dont have to eat back the calories you burn from exercise. Also to eat about 1500-1600 calories a day for weight loss.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    As a one off, it'll be OK for today if your net is super low, just try in the future to at least net 1200. I struggle to do this some days myself--just about daily I eat an Atkins meal bar as a snack to boost my calories without much of a carb hit.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about eating them all back, though I'd probably try to eat at least a few hundred calories. Aything on top of that, I would only eat if I were hungry.

Also, make sure that you're not overestimating your exercise calories... if you're going by MFP's calorie count it's good to be a bit conservative. MFP has a tendency to overestimate calories burned. It's a good idea to give yourself a bit of a cushion so that you don't surpass the actual exercise calories burned.

As for options: too bad about the peanut butter.... some others: cheese, nuts, hard boiled eggs, avocado, Greek yogurt....

Edited to say:
    I just looked at your diary and you've only eaten about 900 calories for the day. Your net calories may be at 28, but before you worry about excess net calories, I think you should try to eat AT LEAST the 1200 calories MFP allots as a woman's minimum daily intake (BEFORE exercise). That would bring you to a net of 328. It's still a big deficit, but as a once off, I think you'll be fine. Since you've got a good 300 calories just to reach the actual minimum (1200 calories consumed) I would try to at least get there, and only eat more than that if you're hungry.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    looks like you have over 1200 calories extra from 800+ calories gain from exercise. I don't see the 28
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Having a quick look at your diary today, I'd say if you want to lose more weight and lose it sustainably, you've got to eat more! A 200 cal smoothie is not lunch!

Dinner needs some vegetables and possibly some carbs i.e. boiled new potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat pasta.

And you need some snacks though the day i.e. granola bar (read the labels carefully for sugar/fat/cals), low fat yoghurt, fruit, veg etc.

You've done really well on other days so I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you keep eating enough healthy food. :smile:
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    What about some nuts (ha!, yes I'm 12 deep down)? Just watch the fat content on some of them.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    looks like you have over 1200 calories extra from 800+ calories gain from exercise. I don't see the 28

Yep...I see I'm not the only one confused! Not sure where you're getting the 28?
  • babsbrack
    babsbrack Posts: 20
    Options
    thank you all for your ideas, yeah i sorta lost time today and messed up on my lunch, my dinner isn't visible i suppose i had a 9oz chicken breast, carrots courgettes and baby potatoes..

thank you for the idea for a smoothie i would never have thought of that, and the nuts :P lol

the exercise i put in i tend to enter my own calorie count when i can i have noticed mfp can exaggerate sometimes.

i suppose exercise calories are sort of a safety net, that if u need something you can have it, i never get to eat them all back, itscenario is near impossible, ill go with the if im not hungry dont eat scenario i suppose. ty again guys for the replies :)
  • babsbrack
    babsbrack Posts: 20
    Options

Yep...I see I'm not the only one confused! Not sure where you're getting the 28?

its on my front page and it says net 28 calories, might be a little more now because ive just had coffee.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Common sense would suggest don't eat when your not hungry. I mean, isn't that a large reason why people are unnaturally overweight: Eating when you're not actually hungry?

Yes. And NO.

It's also important to make sure you're body gets enough nutrients to function properly and it's generally accepted that there is a minimum number of calories to enable adults to do this (I realize there is a lot of dissent as well). Unfortunately, this sometimes means we do need to eat even when we're not hungry. I'm not suggesting we sign up for the "clean plate club," eating past the post of being full.

I'm convinced that eating too little on a regular basis is what put me at the unhealthy weight I was. I'm one of the strange ones who's problem weight issues are caused by not eating ENOUGH. I've lost 40+ lbs by making sure I eat enough. When I go out to eat, it's extremely easy to eat in excess of my calories. However, I rarely eat out, and frequently find myself at less than 1000 calories (consumed - not net) at the end of the day. At these times I make sure I have a snack or two to bring me closer to 1200 calories consumed. (I'm only 4'11" so I don't worry too much about eating more than that - even when I exercise).