Back Fat

Options
I had my body pinched today at the gym to tell me my body fat % and I had the biggest number from my back!!!!! More than my arms and belly. The girl said that it wasn't much for my stomach, but WOWZERS.... I HATE THE BACK FAT NUMBER! Any suggestions? I know you can't TARGET fat loss from certain areas, but just thought I'd ask! Thanks everybody.

Replies

• hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had my body pinched today at the gym to tell me my body fat % and I had the biggest number from my back!!!!! More than my arms and belly. The girl said that it wasn't much for my stomach, but WOWZERS.... I HATE THE BACK FAT NUMBER! Any suggestions? I know you can't TARGET fat loss from certain areas, but just thought I'd ask! Thanks everybody.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can't target fat loss, but you CAN target muscle gain. There are weight machines which specialize in the lower back. Pretty much anything that deals with the core will help... lower and upper abs, obliques, and lower back exercises.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    Uh oh, you found my weakness! I'm soooo intimidated by those machines! I see other people , but I chicken out on my way over to try them. I'm gonna buck up next time and find those machines that will help me! Who cares if I look like a dork reading the directions right!? Thanks, I needed that push! High resistance cardio and running can't do it all right?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    A thing that got me started with good back exercises was the DVD series "core secrets". It's a total infomercial nightmare, but the exercises are very good, use a stability ball and were recommended by my doctor. All stuff you can do using the resistance of your own body weight and dumbbells.

Maybe you could get it at the library or from netflix?
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    Thanks! I've got two things I need to buy now: HRM and Core Secrets! You're awesome!:flowerforyou:
  • paperstar
    paperstar Posts: 27
    Options
    Hey, don't feel bad. I take PRIDE reading the directions on the weight machines! Even when I already know how to do them. It just motivates me to see the muscles that it targets :laugh:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Don't worry! You are not supposed to know everything!
    You can ask a trainer to show you all the machines. Just smile and he (if it's a guy) will run to you :smile:
    Basically what happened to me twice is a trainer came to tell me I was doing something a little wrong and then showed me the proper way. Nothing funny so far, but my friend (male) was doing an exercise completely wrong and that guy just ignored him! :laugh:
    Good to be a girl sometimes :wink:
    If there's no such person around you can ask somebody who looks like he feels comfortable at the gym.
    Go ahead and ask :flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about bellydance...not only will it tone your back and entire body, it increases flexibility and is a healing artform, both physically and spiritually...plus you can drill so that you have cardio and toning combined!
  • DesertWind
    DesertWind Posts: 17
    Options
    Spiritual healing from dancing? I'm confused!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about bellydance...not only will it tone your back and entire body, it increases flexibility and is a healing artform, both physically and spiritually...plus you can drill so that you have cardio and toning combined!

I agree with the belly dancing. You will feel it the next morning. It doesn't sound like it would be, but boy let me tell you, it is. I started my DVDs again last night and this morning. I feel it!!! It is a great and fun way to exercise.
  • FatDancer
    Options
    Spiritual healing from dancing? I'm confused!!

I'm not sure how to explain it but many others have had the same experience...it is an ancient artform...natural movement for women's bodies...the movements require a physical awareness and that connection between mind and body tunes you into so much more...it is an artform with so many health benefits...it is an ancient feminine ritual...yoga has a similar effect except it is not so much of an expression, more of a training.

And I'm not loco, just ask any bellydancer...Bellydance has enriched my life...I wish I had found it when I was much younger!
  • FatDancer
    Options
    I agree with the belly dancing. You will feel it the next morning. It doesn't sound like it would be, but boy let me tell you, it is. I started my DVDs again last night and this morning. I feel it!!! It is a great and fun way to exercise.
    [/quote]

I'm so happy for you Renee!
  • FatDancer
    Options
    Desert Wind...thank you for keeping us safe and thank you to your wife for staying strong so that you could...congratulations on surviving and your upcoming retirement...Enjoy!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I think its more than just belly dancing (though I find it beautiful to watch). I mean, have you ever been driving down the road and just seen someone dancing on the sidewalk? I've only seen it twice in memory.... but it apparently had enough impact for me to remember. Plus I remember the massive smile it put on my face.

Dancing makes everyone happy.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I think its more than just belly dancing (though I find it beautiful to watch). I mean, have you ever been driving down the road and just seen someone dancing on the sidewalk? I've only seen it twice in memory.... but it apparently had enough impact for me to remember. Plus I remember the massive smile it put on my face.

Dancing makes everyone happy.

If you mean the hammer dance, you are exactly right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzoBkaFxh4&feature=related

*UH OH, UH OH, UH OH, UH OH, UH OH!*
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Just for a minute, let's all do the BUMP! :laugh:
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Bent over rows, High Rows, ITY's, Chin ups these are the best back workouts to get it toned up in no time
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    There is a book out there published by Men's Health. It's called AmazingABS, and yes, it targets guys, but still, the ab workouts in there are first rate, and most of them don't require any machine at all. Plus it has some great facts on good food and some REALLY great recipies. I recommend it to everyone. It's great cuz it not only shows you ab exercises, it groups them in categories based on what you want to try to do.