Gluten Free - Low Carb

Options
cps4646
cps4646 Posts: 4 Member
Hey everyone! I started this diet on the 18th and have experienced a major health change. I suffered from chronic migraines, fatigue, muscle cramps, IBS and other ailments and in 1 week I have managed to get rid of them all! I cannot believe the difference. Has anyone done this as well with this type of result? Also I lost 6 pounds. Just curious!

Replies

• Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of gluten free items by choice. My daughter is Celiac and when she started eating gluten free, she lost 40lbs! The weight came off very quickly for her. She had an incredible transformation with her medical ailments. No more pain, headaches, blackouts and the list goes on.
    The one thing I do notice about gluten free is that you definitely don't get the bloating that you get from wheat products. Good luck on your journey!
  • cataplexyfever
    Options
    Gluten free diets seem to benefit all sorts of autoimmune problems. I have had a lot of success with it improving both my PCOS and narcolepsy.
  • shanautunate
    Options
    Hi ya'll....I have PCOS and have suffered from severe migraines since I was 9. I started a low carb diet in Nov. 2011 and have only had 1 mirgraine and have seen improvement in my PCOS symptoms. I feel great and my energy is through the roof!
    Congrats on the 6lbs. weight loss....keep up the good work!
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My daugher has Celiac disease and she had to go gluten free and her symptoms (which are almost exactly like yours!) have gone away! I too am now gluten free to support her. I find many gluten free items are really good tasting but pretty expensive. Good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    excellent job! i do low carb. it really is awesome.
  • woman4real66
    Options
    How long did it take you to adapt to the change in your diet?
  • woman4real66
    Options
    I know the carbs are often calculated for you, how did you determine how many carbs you should eat?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    That is great but just so you know, pretty much everyone on the first week drops a large amount of lbs (3 to 12) and then it evens out to about 1/2 to 2 lbs a week after that.
  • Balsaboy
    Balsaboy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My wife went gluten free about a year and half ago -- and since I do most of the cooking -- by proxy I was also eating gluten free (for the most part). It wasn't long before I noticed a huge difference in how I was feeling with the reduction of breads and grains, and over time I've taken it further and reduced all processed carbs from my diet. Still eat a healthy but low carb diet of vegetables/legumes etc with an increase in protein and healthy fats. I have really taken notice of the slow but steady loss of weight, feeling of being full for longer -- should mention I'm vegan and have been for over 20 years, but the down side of a vegetarian/vegan diet can be how much processed carbs like pasta, white rice and breads become the focus of a meal, and my weight gain had been stealthy but steady. Since dropping most of this due to my wife's gluten sensitivity and then taking it further and going low carb, I've been really impressed with my progress. I'd say I'm actually eating healthier and smarter then I ever have in my life.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in April.... I have lost 20 lbs since then! I had stomach and neurological issues from gluten.

I cannot eat a lot of the packaged gluten free items, either, because they make me very sick to my stomach. So I eat a lot of meats, veggies, and fruits. I feel so much better eating this way, I don't ever want to go back. I actually have a blog about my gluten free meals on tumblr -- lesliecooks.com

There is a great gluten free group here. And also, look into the Paleo diet.... I am not Paleo, but found some good Paleo recipes online.

Good luck!!
  • hungrybunni
    hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi ive been pretty much glutten free for 6 weeks to support my daughter. Feeling huge health benefits. No more joint pain in knees and can get up and down stairs pain free for first time in years. Physio said i had fybamyalgia-cant spell it! and am sure other pains will go too. Weigh day friday fingers crossed.
  • hungrybunni
    hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep the amazing side effects! I was three quarters way down the stairs last week before I realised there was no more pain in my knees......yesterday ate birthday cake and sandwiches.....was ill by the time I went to bed and still feel achy today.....I'm back on track now. :wink: