Wii for Exercise?

Options
Have any of you used the Wii program for excercise? What games or program did you use? I am trying to come up with something that I can do at home that will be fun so I can be with my kids instead of working 8 hours a day and then having to be gone another hour or two at the gym.
Thanks bunches!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I was wondering the same thing.
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have used wii fit....but I just bought wii zumba last week and I love, love,love it
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    Personally I found myself VERY under challenged on Wii programs
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit with exercise board. It's a fantastic scale and does have a lot of games that are somewhat active and fun. My kids love them anyway. It tracks your weight and progress over time which I find useful. There are balance and strength exercises as well as basic Yoga. You can run in place and do stair step exercise which will get your heart rate up a little and be helpful. That being said it's pretty hard to do any type of high impact aerobic exercise with it. So I usually do that by running, cycling, swimming, elliptical or sports. My daughter has a dance game that actually probably is more aerobic and she has fun with it.
  • AmeliaHatton
    Options
    I've had Zumba Fitness 2 for the Wii since Christmas. I absolutely love it! You have many class options - short (20 minutes), medium (45 minutes), and long (60 minutes) - and can even create your own playlist, making the class however long you like! It's perfect for a short workout, between kids and work, but can also serve as a good hour workout too. It tracks your weight loss progress and how many calories you burn. Plus, it's fun! I take live Zumba classes while on my college campus, but I found that the Wii game is just as good and serves as a good workout for me while I'm home for the holidays and summer. I've lost 27 pounds so far! Good luck!
  • 012345emma
    012345emma Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hi i use the wii fit for exercise ive done the advanced boxing the advanced step and i do the island run .i usually spend an hour or so doing this and its worked for me.my two daughters enjoy doing this also and my 18month old son stands at the side copying me its so funny watching him.so yes i do recommend the wii. for the fist couple of weeks i only used the wii and ate sensibly and i was losing upto 3 lb per week. good luck with whatever your exercise choices are :0)
  • AmeliaHatton
    Options
    Also, if you prefer more popular songs other than Latin, try Just Dance! I'm not sure which version has them, but one of them has some "Sweat" songs that my friends and I do for fun and exercise. Just find something you love and get moving!
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    i have the wii fit and i personally find it really easy (I'm in pretty good shape so that could be why) no offense I'm not sure how heavy you are and how much weight your aiming to lose and your actively level so it may be easy for me but might not for you...it is a good thing to use to get your heart rate up since they do have kickboxing and a little running and it would be great to get your kids involved as well I just wouldnt use it as your only workout....try getting zumba for the wii I have that and i feel its a much better workout or even just dance ( i like zumba better though)
    also i know of some other workout games for the wii but im not sure how great they are since i've never personally tried them i would look them up before you buy them:
    Jillian Michaels has a couple games
    My fitness coach
    your shape
    EA sports active
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Red Box rents a few Wii fitness games (Just Dance series, others?) - you might look into those. The Just Dance ones are great for cardio.

Anyway, I use my Wii for Exerbeat - it's pretty fun. Slow to start, but once you build up points it's good. This has boxing, karate, dance, yoga, and pilates. Lots of variety.

Wii Fit Plus is supposed to be way better than the first one (Wii Fit) ..... I don't have a balance board yet, so I don't know.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They did a study on the Wii Fit a few years back when it first came out showing that the amount of calories burned using it are not as high as one would suggest; about on par with walking at a brisk pace. However that's still good exercise when done for a fairly long period.
  • Lidenbrock
    Lidenbrock Posts: 47
    Options
    Zumba 2 and Just dance 3 - fantastic laugh as well
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit, Just dance and Zumba
  • smithmom531
    smithmom531 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also like Wii Exerbeat. You can put together routines that last as long or little as you want w/ a bunch of different activities. I especially like the boxing and aerobics class. It calculates calories for you based on what you enter for your weight/height etc. (just remember they're an estimation). I feel like it goes by quickly b/c you change activities every 5 -10 minutes. Plus my kids like to stand in the room with me and try to keep up. :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Zumba and just dance games are great for cardio. That was m workout when i first started.
  • sdavis105
    sdavis105 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I will be sure to check out the Wii Fit...sounds like a good place to start for someone who is mostly sedetary. I am a legal secretary, so I spend a lot of time on my tush and not my feet, lol. And I have heard great things about Zumba too...going shopping!
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    Yes I use Gold's gym cardiovascular workout from the wii
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wii Zumba and the Just Dance programs are nice.
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love the Zumba for X-Box Kinect, but i am sooo uncoordinated that i suck at it.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: If you think Wii is not a good form of exercise, try doing the Wii Just Dance!! It will have you sweating and sore by the end!
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    There are a lot of great workout/fun games to burn calories: Just Dance (1,2, or 3; 2 and 3 are very fun), Zumba, Wii Fit, the Biggest Loser, My Fitness Coach, etc... You will work up a sweat and have fun :)