Does anyone else have trouble meeting calorie goals

Options
For some reason I can never meet my calorie goals of 1200 calories/day. I eat until I'm full but sometimes I have 700+ calories left. Is that bad? I'm not sure what I can do to solve it....

Replies

• a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    Options
    you're having 500 calories a day?? not only is that unhealthy, but you may have an eating disorder. i would talk to a doctor or nutritionist. perhaps eating throughout the entire day may help - healthy snacks like peanuts, fruit, etc. be safe.
  • bubblie87
    bubblie87 Posts: 8
    Options
    I tried talking to a nutritionist before - and she looked at the amount I was eating and she said that I'm not meeting the right amount - but never told me how to fix it.

I usually have 1/2 a wrap or a slice of bread for breakfast w/ tea or coffee and a salad/sandwich for lunch and another salad for dinner - with yogurt and/or almonds and popcorn for snacks - and I can meet my protein (sometimes going over) and I almost meet my 'fat' requirements but I can't seem to meet the 'calories'.

For some reason I'm just not hungry enough to eat anything above that though...
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I eat 5-6 times a day, but because I'm eating clean foods, I often don't get enough calories. Are you tracking every bite? Every pat of butter? Every tablespoon of olive oil? Every condiment? Those things can add up.

Add some fruit to your breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Healthy fats (and lowfat cheese) should help add some calories. Maybe have more rounded out meals including a lean protein, veggie, starch, and/or fruit.

I supplement with a protein shake as needed. This helps add calories as well. HTH.
  • a2902c
    Options
    plan your meals out in advance to meet your daily calorie goals. have a bigger breakfast w/ eggs and meat, lunch sounds good, and maybe have some meat / pasta for dinner. and more snacks. if you aren't hungry, force yourself. you're fine going over protein and fat. focus on your calories right now. your body will not be able to sustain this type of eating. trust me. i did what you are doing for almost two years, and got down to 110 or so, but once i started eating normally, i shot up to over 200. you need to find a good balance in order to lose weight healthily and sustain it for the rest of your life.

i repeat, 500 calories is not enough. think about it. nutritionists say that a meal should be between 400-500 calories....
  • bubblie87
    Options
    I had always thought that low-calories were fine as long as I didn't eat too much fat, for some reason.
    I'll give that a try though - planning my meals before hand and eating larger meals with more fruits/veggies/meats.

When I include my exercise - I find the calories I'm allowed/supposed to eat always increases to 1600+.....do those have to be met or just the 1200?
  • a2902c
    Options
    1200 is already pretty low. So I would try to eat the calories added on. Just try your best.

BTW, fats don't make you fat. too many calories make you fat, but you don't have to worry about that. 1600 is nothing, especially if you are exercising.
  • bubblie87
    Options
    That's good to know :)
  • EstherRyu
    EstherRyu Posts: 16
    Options
    i wish i were you! hahaha, but yeah when you exercise you should definitely eat more -
    I eat 1500 when i'm exercising and i try to eat 1200 when im not.
    because i LOVE food - i have a hard time staying within my calories
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try adding calorie dense foods that are healthy to your diet. Peanut butter is a good one. 2 tablespoons is usually 190 calories (this varies from brand to brand). Beans or rice are another good option
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue although I'm eating way more than 500 calories per day. For me I hit the wall somewhere between 1000 & 1200. I do eat out occasionally (1 x per week) and usually go over my calories. I figure it all evens out.
  • debo47
    debo47 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My physician and exercise physiologist told me NOT to eat back my exercise calories and also told me that 1200 is not "too low" for me and that I could go lower if I stopped losing. He told me that "starvation mode" doesn't exist for someone who eats a minimum of 3 meals per day. He also said, if you're not hungry, don't eat. In fact, he made me stop putting in my Insanity workouts in Myfitnesspal because of the "eat back calorie" thing. Since he told me that, I've finally started to lose weight.

Sometimes 1200 calories is too much. If you feel good, don't sweat it.
  • bubblie87
    Options
    My doctor had told me a similar thing - eat if you're hungry (minimum 3 large meals/day or 5 small meals), but don't force yourself.
    When I entered my food in here though I got worried when it says how 'little' I eat even though it feels like a lot to me.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Eat bacon!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No. I have not experienced this problem.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My physician and exercise physiologist told me NOT to eat back my exercise calories and also told me that 1200 is not "too low" for me and that I could go lower if I stopped losing. He told me that "starvation mode" doesn't exist for someone who eats a minimum of 3 meals per day. He also said, if you're not hungry, don't eat. In fact, he made me stop putting in my Insanity workouts in Myfitnesspal because of the "eat back calorie" thing. Since he told me that, I've finally started to lose weight.

I'd be worried about the long term effects of eating as low as 500 calories a day though. People who under eat can be more prone to illnesses like osteoporosis when they are older. Plus if you are losing weight it could be muscle as well as fat.

If you don't feel like you want to eat more, try more calorie dense foods or something like a glass of milk.
  • fohn1
    fohn1 Posts: 1
    Options
    A smoothy is the way to go:

7 oz greek yougurt
    2 cups of berries (I like strawberries/blueberries)
    1 banana
    2 tbls ground flax seed
    1/2 cup 2% milk
    1 kiwi

+protein/egg white power (I personally don't enjoy but adds many grams of protein and some calories

Blend and refrig any leftovers.

Tons of antioxidents, vits and decent amout of protein and calories.

Good luck all!!!
  • bubblie87
    Options
    The smoothie sounds delicious. I'll def. be giving that one a try!
  • gypsycoyote
    Options

This right here. A person should never force themselves to eat. Food is fuel, and if your tank is good, don't force more fuel in there. However, healthy snacks throughout the day are not bad, if you are hungry. There are days when I eat 500 calories, there are days when I eat 1600 calories <-- pretty rare for me though. I am highly offended that people are saying those who eat under a certain amount have an eating disorder.

I do not have an eating disorder, I eat mostly organic, fresh foods, meets, grains and dairy. I eat a hell of a lot less than I did 2 weeks ago, but I had to cut back or I was going to keep gaining. I ate 1600-2000 calories a day, and that was snacking and meals. BUT I cut out soda, packaged foods as much as possible, and started eating fruits and veggies more. THAT is what has caused my calorie intake to go down.

Do not ASSUME people have an eating disorder just because they do not eat as much as you do. Everyone is different, and anything you find on the internet is based off of an average. The only way to verify 100% what your body needs and what is healthy for you is to talk to a professional - in person.

Listen to your body - if your body is saying it needs more fuel, do not deny it. But, remember - do not automatically go for food either, many peoples bodies, adults included, mistake thirst for hunger. Therefore, try a drink of water, your body might need the hydration more than the food. :D

Like I said, if you are really concerned with your eating habits and want to know what is best for YOUR body, please talk with your doctor. All of the information I have provided is from personal experience and research, I am not a professional :D
  • gypsycoyote
    Options
    My doctor had told me a similar thing - eat if you're hungry (minimum 3 large meals/day or 5 small meals), but don't force yourself.
    When I entered my food in here though I got worried when it says how 'little' I eat even though it feels like a lot to me.

I feel the same way sometimes. It's like "really? 670 calories all day? BUT I PIGGED OUT." That is because of WHAT we are eating, not HOW MUCH. Fruits and veggies don't contain a lot of calories, depending on the fruit or veggie. I have noticed I get a lot of my calories from meats, dairy and grains. Like eggs - OMG so many calories. I have learned not to pay too much attention to that page after I complete my daily diary - as long as we are eating to fuel and eating the RIGHT stuff, everything should work out fine. But I am not a doctor, this is just my experiences.