Trainer or NOT!

Options
Has anyone seen results without actually getting a personal trainer? Have you designed your own program? I have mainly focused on cardio to lose weight and now over the past few weeks have incoporated some light weights after my cardio. I really want to step my game up, invest in a trainer or design my own program?

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I went to bodybuilding.com and found a strength/muscle building plan that works for me. They also provide videos for each exercise so that you can see what the correct form looks like.

My suggestion is, if you can't afford to get a personal trainer long term, see if you can at least have one session to learn proper form. I see so many people lifting weights the wrong way.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone's going to have their own opinion.

If you've never used weights before, it might be beneficial to hire a PT for a while so you learn how to safely and effectively use them, as well as develop a long term plan for how to reach your goals. I personally love my PT and have seen great results.

On the other hand, you're going to have plenty of people tell you "DON'T BOTHER! YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT!". My only caution is just in regards to form when you're weight lifting. If you've never lifted before it's helpful to have someone show you how to do it right.

If you use a gym and are a little confused about machines, etc, then ask about an orientation session. Most will give their members a free orientation to show you the different weight machines and what they're used for. However, don't trust the people showing you to teach you how to use them 100% correctly - most are just there for a job and do not have training experience.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can't recall the source but I read something not that long ago that compared results with and without a trainer (I'm not a trainer myself) and the bottom line was that people using a personal trainer tended to experience better gains than those without ( I'm not sure if it was accountability or motivation that was the key factor).

I can tell you from personal experience that in a coached environment I tend to work harder.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If you get a trainer, check their references and get one who can show you before and after photos of their clients. There are 5 crap trainers for every good one.
  • janiceover
    janiceover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been working out with a trainer for the last 2 months, 4x weekly. He has "kicked my butt" so to speak. He has made me realize that I am capable of doing more than I thought I was able to. If I were working out on my own, I would have given up too easily!!! In the last 2 months, I have lost 15 lbs and 24 inches!!!
    I know I can't work with a trainer indefinitely, but with the knowledge and skills that I am being taught, I feel confident that when I go it alone, I will know what to do, when to do it, and how long to do it for!!!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I went to bodybuilding.com and found a strength/muscle building plan that works for me. They also provide videos for each exercise so that you can see what the correct form looks like.

My suggestion is, if you can't afford to get a personal trainer long term, see if you can at least have one session to learn proper form. I see so many people lifting weights the wrong way.

Thanks! That's what I am scared of is lifting wrong and injuring myself or lifting and not seeing any results! I like the idea of maybe taking a session or two!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    Options
    Well, everyone's going to have their own opinion.

If you've never used weights before, it might be beneficial to hire a PT for a while so you learn how to safely and effectively use them, as well as develop a long term plan for how to reach your goals. I personally love my PT and have seen great results.

On the other hand, you're going to have plenty of people tell you "DON'T BOTHER! YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT!". My only caution is just in regards to form when you're weight lifting. If you've never lifted before it's helpful to have someone show you how to do it right.

If you use a gym and are a little confused about machines, etc, then ask about an orientation session. Most will give their members a free orientation to show you the different weight machines and what they're used for. However, don't trust the people showing you to teach you how to use them 100% correctly - most are just there for a job and do not have training experience.

Good information, thanks!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    Options
    If you get a trainer, check their references and get one who can show you before and after photos of their clients. There are 5 crap trainers for every good one.

OK, see didn't think about that one!! Thanks!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options

SO TRUE!! any idiot off the street can call themselves a 'trainer'...some places don't require any sort of education or credentialing so work as one. As a Certified Athletic Trainer (you know, the guy that runs out on a football field with khakis, polo, and fanny pack when someone gets hurt)... let me tell you, there are plenty of wack jobs out there!!!
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I belong to Snap Fitness. They require you to meet with a trainer at least once and it is free. You can choose to continue with one or not. I met with one and she did me a world of good. I plan on meeting with her again in the near future, just to see how I am progressing. They can at least teach you about proper form and technique if nothing else.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I trained myself.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    If you do decide to get a trainer I think it's important to try out several people before committing. My mum has tried a lot of trainers (she has pretty bad knee problems) and lots of them just told her to do things like kneel on the floor or other exercises she can't do without great pain, they really didn't listen and seemed to think that a one-size-fits-all routine would be fine for everyone. She kept hunting and eventually found someone with the knowledge and experience to edit the routines so her body wouldn't be worse off after the workouts!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I do go to a personal trainer and get my best workouts there. I've also been doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels, and that's been helping me as well. It's a great mix of cardio/strength/abs.

I think it's definitely possible to do this on your own as well, but I am pushed hardest by my trainer, and I also enjoy having someone to follow along with (hence the 30DS).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I say trainer.

There are programs out there designed to help you get into strength training more, and I'm sure their great.. but without the proper training in form, you may wind up injuring yourself.. and thats what you don't want.

For me to, I'm lazy. I don't want to be sitting around spending hours a day researching which program is best and how to do each exercise... and thats where my trainer comes in. He shows me proper form for all exercises and writes up my programs. So I already know what to do, and I just grab a program and go. Makes my life so much easier.

Edited to add: I've lost 30 pounds and 6 sizes under trainer guidance.. and haven't been this small since high school almost 6 yeras ago!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can't recall the source but I read something not that long ago that compared results with and without a trainer (I'm not a trainer myself) and the bottom line was that people using a personal trainer tended to experience better gains than those without ( I'm not sure if it was accountability or motivation that was the key factor).

I can tell you from personal experience that in a coached environment I tend to work harder.

If other peoples' personal trainers are anything like my personal trainer, they are down on the floor with you or in your face screaming like a drill sargeant, "Come-on, you can do it. You have two more in you!"

Yes, I believe that people who have personal trainers get better and quicker results. My personal trainer doesn't give me a moment to rest, pushes for 'only two more', keeps upping my weights as soon as I hit the maximum reps, and keeps lowering the bar upon which I do push-ups (I can now do them military style, thank you Jason).

Additionally, if you have limitations, like a bad back or shoulder or whatever, it is good to consult a trainer to make sure you do not cause it more damage and to find alternative exercises to do.

I couldn't do it without my trainer. I plan on 'buying him' for another 20 sessions. Yes, he is expensive, but I only use him for my upper body work and once a month consult on lower body work. I am very lazy with the upper body and my form is not all that good.

What I have seen at the gym from those without trainers astounds me and is a waste of time for those people doing it. Taking a dumbbell, pumping it quickly three times, then putting it away is not going to do the person any good, especially when it is obvious that the 10 pound dumbbell was too light for you in the first place. Doing 100 sit-ups quickly and without slow control will not reduce your beer belly. You learn these things from your trainer. Books are good. Online information is good. But until a trainer has scrutinized your program and form, you may not see any benefits at all.

Additionally, if you have never worked out in a gym, getting a trainer for the first 6 sessions will give you someone to help learn how to set up the equipment. Nothing is more irritating than being in the middle of lifting and someone asks me to show them how to adjust the seat on the leg press. Find these things out from a trainer in the first two weeks and you don't have to bother the other people in the gym.

On top of this, having a trainer makes you accountable. There have been several times when I wanted to stay home and loaf, but I had to meet my trainer at the gym. And I know that he will give me a hard time if I call off a lift session.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been working out with a trainer for the last 2 months, 4x weekly. He has "kicked my butt" so to speak. He has made me realize that I am capable of doing more than I thought I was able to. If I were working out on my own, I would have given up too easily!!! In the last 2 months, I have lost 15 lbs and 24 inches!!!
    I know I can't work with a trainer indefinitely, but with the knowledge and skills that I am being taught, I feel confident that when I go it alone, I will know what to do, when to do it, and how long to do it for!!!

This <3

My trainer is a gym teacher. The first trainer that sat with me was a woman and she was like, "You don't need to lift weights to tone. You can work with the ball." To which I promptly said, "Next". So Jason came over and it has been a wonderful experience. I get compliments all the time on my body, it is changing so my. I actually can see a V forming.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    Options

If other peoples' personal trainers are anything like my personal trainer, they are down on the floor with you or in your face screaming like a drill sargeant, "Come-on, you can do it. You have two more in you!"

Yes, I believe that people who have personal trainers get better and quicker results. My personal trainer doesn't give me a moment to rest, pushes for 'only two more', keeps upping my weights as soon as I hit the maximum reps, and keeps lowering the bar upon which I do push-ups (I can now do them military style, thank you Jason).

Additionally, if you have limitations, like a bad back or shoulder or whatever, it is good to consult a trainer to make sure you do not cause it more damage and to find alternative exercises to do.

I couldn't do it without my trainer. I plan on 'buying him' for another 20 sessions. Yes, he is expensive, but I only use him for my upper body work and once a month consult on lower body work. I am very lazy with the upper body and my form is not all that good.

What I have seen at the gym from those without trainers astounds me and is a waste of time for those people doing it. Taking a dumbbell, pumping it quickly three times, then putting it away is not going to do the person any good, especially when it is obvious that the 10 pound dumbbell was too light for you in the first place. Doing 100 sit-ups quickly and without slow control will not reduce your beer belly. You learn these things from your trainer. Books are good. Online information is good. But until a trainer has scrutinized your program and form, you may not see any benefits at all.

Additionally, if you have never worked out in a gym, getting a trainer for the first 6 sessions will give you someone to help learn how to set up the equipment. Nothing is more irritating than being in the middle of lifting and someone asks me to show them how to adjust the seat on the leg press. Find these things out from a trainer in the first two weeks and you don't have to bother the other people in the gym.

On top of this, having a trainer makes you accountable. There have been several times when I wanted to stay home and loaf, but I had to meet my trainer at the gym. And I know that he will give me a hard time if I call off a lift session.

Thanks for the information, this was very helpful!
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer is the best investment I made. She pushes me harder than I could or would ever do myself and knows how to reach my goals better than I do (she IS trained in it, after all). She also helps me with my nutritional queries and teaches me loads of new things about exercising. Going to her is one of the highlights of my week! I've had to make some sacrifices to afford to go but it's more than worth it. If I could afford it I'd go every day! Definitely do it.
  • byrdamy
    byrdamy Posts: 40
    Options
    I second everything that was said above. I probably would have quit ten times if it wasn't for my trainer, he holds me accountable. Now that I am in better shape, I am more accountable to myself, it took him getting me "over the hump", so to speak. He has taught me proper technique, I see the results he has with his other clients, he tweaks my diet to achieve optimal results but the best thing, is he gets to know ME, he recommends the best plan for ME.

An he is very territorial, if he sees other "cracker jack" trainers trying to show me something on our off days, he will come right on over and make sure they aren't showing me wrong, he wants me to succeed, not get hurt. And yes, he will call them cracker jack right to their face, they don't say much because it is true, and he is very well respected in our area at most gyms around here.

Good luck!!
  • ds233005
    ds233005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what most people have said. Getting a trainer is the best thing I have ever done. I learned proper form, great nutrition, good workouts, etc... She also keeps me going like everyone else said, I would have quit without her! Also, she gives me inspiration. My trainer is an amazing woman that works hard for what she wants. I've lost some weight and inches with her but I have gained so much more! I am more confidant in myself thanks to her. Just be sure they are certified and you find a good one! Good luck!