Protein Shakes, yes or no?

Options
IokiOcto
IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
Lately I've been thinking of trying the protein shake (lean shakes) to replace one of my daily meals. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a good option for me. Does anyone have an input? I appreciate any kind of feedback!

Replies

• kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It depends. How many meals are you eating per day?

I don't see the harm in using protein shakes. I have one nearly every day, but I also make sure to include whole foods with lean protein first.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you dont feel like eating then go for it. I prefer to have one as a snack after i do a workout.
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I usually have my 3 meals per day with 2 light snacks in between.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you dont feel like eating then go for it. I prefer to have one as a snack after i do a workout.

this ^ actually, i just have mine as a snack in the evening on days i work out
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've had one for breakfast every day for about 14 months now. Quick, tasty and a good way to supplement my protein intake for the day.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I usually have one per day, either for breakfast or something for when I'm home from the gym.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Honestly, making your own shakes is a way better alternative to purchasing processed ones (plus you can control how much protein you take in on your own). I usually have one after working out, whether it be intense cardio or strength training. I use them as a recovery drink + a way to eat back most of my exercise calories directly after my workout.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There's no way I could hit my protein macros without protein powder. I drink 2-3 shakes a day. It can be great for getting that extra protein, as long as you find a good brand.
  • froguelady
    Options
    They worked for me and for several people I know. I have lost 26 pounds and am now just maintaining my weight. My daughter and son-in-law has lost 34 for her 35 for him. So I would say yes.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I use skim/fat free milk (about 90cal a cup) and add Six Star Triple Chocolate protein powder and shake/stir it religiously. If it's a high calorie day (I usually log most of the day beforehand to get an idea), I'll only had half a scoop of protein powder. I also usually drink 1.5 to 2 cups of milk. Definitely helps get my protein up where it should be. I aim for at least 100g and ultimately 150g of protein a day, although I rarely ever get to 150 and sometimes don't even make the 100g, but before the protein drink, I would never be able to reach 100g.

Optimum Nutrition is supposedly the best tasting protein powder, according to several reliable sources, but I have yet to try it ... I just grab the Walmart "Six Star" brand. Their cookies 'n' creme flavor is good also. Bits of cookie. :D
  • korryn92
    korryn92 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have been thinking of drinking protein shakes to replace a meal during the day to aid weight loss as well. This thread really helped me! :) I think I am going to get a brand of the protein powder at Walmart and start using that with a lower calorie diet and exercise.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:00 am for work, and for me that's too early to eat a meal but I need to get my metabolism going. I have been drinking a lean shake on my way in to work, and then fruit and egg whites at my breakfast break (around 9:00 am). It's been working for me, plus I get the protein in.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, yes. Lean, I would never do. 30 grams of carbs? OMG, that is way too much and only 9 grams of protein and 180 calories. You are better of sticking to food with those numbers.

If you are going to GNC for Lean maybe instead you should grab the Pro Performance. Less than 5 grams carbs, 20+ grams of protein and 100-130 calories depending on flavor. I have tried most every flavor and all are really good.

I have at least one shake a day, most days 2. Helps me get enough protein while keeping my carbs in check. Also, I am lazy and don't like to cook or get up early.
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, yes. Lean, I would never do. 30 grams of carbs? OMG, that is way too much and only 9 grams of protein and 180 calories. You are better of sticking to food with those numbers.

If you are going to GNC for Lean maybe instead you should grab the Pro Performance. Less than 5 grams carbs, 20+ grams of protein and 100-130 calories depending on flavor. I have tried most every flavor and all are really good.

I have at least one shake a day, most days 2. Helps me get enough protein while keeping my carbs in check. Also, I am lazy and don't like to cook or get up early.

^^ love the Cookies & Cream flavour GNC Pro Performance and have a shake immediately after a workout as high, easily digestible whey protein with low carb within half an hour of a workout helps with muscle repair and recovery. This is especially important if you do not want to become skinny fat while on weight loss program.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    They are just another way of getting calories.

I prefer to eat food, but if you like shakes and they fit into your cals and macros, then go for it!

Read the ingredient labels though - the ones I've seen are basically combinations of highly refined dairy and starches with unpronounceable additives, so aren't something I choose to eat.
  • wetsel23
    wetsel23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I drink one everyday for breakfast because its fast and easy. I drink it in the car on my way to work. I mix mine with almond milk and sometimes add fruit.
  • Lovevanecia
    Options
    I've had one for breakfast every day for about 14 months now. Quick, tasty and a good way to supplement my protein intake for the day.

Hi, Im new here. Do you think it's helped with weight loss or maintaining? i was thinking of doing the same.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Hi, Im new here. Do you think it's helped with weight loss or maintaining? i was thinking of doing the same.

It's just protein, in a quick and tasty form. Alternatively I could eat a bunch of chicken or egg whites or something. It's the same thing, it's just easy to make in 30 seconds and off to work I go. It doesn't do anything special outside of that. I try to get at least 225g of protein a day too so it helps to supplement my protein intake overall.