Scared to exercise!

Options
I really am! Ok two years ago I bought 30ds and did the first round all the way through. The next week or so I was in so much pain I needed assistance getting on and off the toilet. I'm not kidding. So how do I work my way into something? Help I really want to get fit.

Replies

• heatherina1983
    Options
    I found 30ds too much and I only did a couple of days and couldn't move. Now I am doing group exercise classes, done zumba and pilates so far and I feel my muscles tingle but not hurt. I heard you should give your muscles a rest and let them repair, other people say you gotta keep on working them but surely you can't do that if it causes that much pain. Swimming is also great.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I started this, I did 30 mins of stretching along with sit ups, modified push ups and leg lifts and 30 mins of walking the dog and then I did the 7 flights of stairs at work. That was enough to get me kick started. From there I went into 30 ds. The sit ups and the stretching I had been doing helped. I still was sore, but not so bad. Then I rediscovered bicycling and that is my passion. Still try to throw in the sit ups and stretches tho. Those are always good to do.
  • lizzie1030
    lizzie1030 Posts: 60
    Options
    I started out doing yoga. It strengthens your muscles, helps your endurance and gives you flexibility. Now, I have several JM videos and others like it that I rotate with my yoga and I do them with no problems.
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking. It's great exercise, and usually not painful. :))
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why are you in pain? is it from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) or something else
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing :) I walk about 2 miles almost everyday, I'm going to pump it up to everyday though. I really want to incorporate something else especially since I put most of my weight on in my stomach region and three times I have been asked when I was due. :/
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    why are you in pain? is it from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) or something else
    I don't know? I did the whole routine but some of the jumping jacks I just used my arms lol those hurt like crazy to :( I'm wondering if I wean myself in do half the exercises and work my way up?
  • lc971
    Options
    That's what I'm doing :) I walk about 2 miles almost everyday, I'm going to pump it up to everyday though. I really want to incorporate something else especially since I put most of my weight on in my stomach region and three times I have been asked when I was due. :/

I bought an inexpensive treadmill at Walmart. It gives me a good workout. I had quite the belly myself. Thankfully, no "when are you do" comments. Good luck!
  • lc971
    Options

I bought an inexpensive treadmill at Walmart. It gives me a good workout. I had quite the belly myself. Thankfully, no "when are you do" comments. Good luck!

correction: due
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had to quit 30DS after 2-3 days the first time I tried it, I too was in incredible pain! I couldn't walk, stand, sit... It was horrible. I decided to do Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack instead for at-home workouts, in addition to walking 2-3 miles almost everyday. I think you're right to ease into it. 30 DS is hard stuff, and it's mostly meant for people who don't really have time to exercise I think.

I would also recommend Jillian's Yoga Meltdown. I love that video! It's a great way to do stretching, body weight training and a little bit of cardio at the same time!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I really am! Ok two years ago I bought 30ds and did the first round all the way through. The next week or so I was in so much pain I needed assistance getting on and off the toilet. I'm not kidding. So how do I work my way into something? Help I really want to get fit.

That's because your body was saying "What the F#$@ are you doing to me?" It's probably used to you loafing around and it was a total shock to your system. Honestly, if you did this program and staggered the days so you gave yourself 2 days rest in between the first week, and then went to one day off the second week, you'll find that the pain subsides and you get used to the exercise. I'll even wager that you start enjoying the exercise. As you become more accustomed you'll be less and less and less sore. Eventually it won't even make you sore, just stronger.

Of course you're going to be so sore you feel like you can't crawl out of bed at first but that gets better and better. Why do you think that football camps do 2-a-days at the beginning of football season? That's because all those lazy out of shape guys need a kick in the rear to get up to speed so they can perform at an athlete level. I remember being so sore I didn't think I could get out of the bath tub one day. I just wanted to lay there and run more warm water. After one week I wanted to die. After 2 weeks I was a little sore. By the end of the first month it didn't even phase me to do workouts like a machine.

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
    After performing an unaccustomed eccentric exercise and exhibiting severe soreness, the muscle rapidly adapts to reduce further damage from the same exercise. This is called the "repeated-bout effect".[9]
    As a result of this effect, not only is the soreness reduced, but other indicators of muscle damage, such as swelling, reduced strength and reduced range of motion, are also more quickly recovered from.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness