WW vs MFP?

Options
I'm thinking of getting back on weight watchers for a bit to see if it will help...its helped before! (several times, through all the changes). I feel like I get a little more wiggle room on there.

thoughts?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Points~~~~Calories

Fees~~~~Free

WW<MFP, imho
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I do both....

I lost over 115 pounds on WW and got to Lifetime, but struggled a bit with the new program so someone suggested couting calories and points to see why I was gaining -- and I've been here ever since.

I still attend meetings once a week, follow all the Good Health Guidelines that WW recommends, and follow the basic principles of WW. I just count calories instead of points. I think of as the best of both worlds. :smile:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion:

MFP is free.
    MFP is straight up calories.

WW is not free.
    WW has to be converted.

You decide.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of going back so I counted points and calories the past 2 weeks. I decided that since I had to look up nutritional info to calc points anyway (I don't eat much packaged food), it was easier to just track calories.

But WW has a ton to offer that MFP doesn't. So if it appeals to you, do it! At least the program is based on actual, respected science. Sometimes paying for it makes us take it more seriously, too. I think the new 'monthly pass' option is pretty cheap.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was on WW honestly I got tired of the point system this site SHOWS you what you eat and what it has plus it is FREE so far this is better for me!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is MFP with a price tag on it.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    My wife has been doing WW on and off for a couple of years now. I tried it a couple of times, but i felt undernourished. But MFP has come to my rescue. Definitely the best app i'll ever have on my phone............that's for sure!
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If Weight Watchers works for you go for it. I'd still keep tracking everything on mfp as well though.

It can't hurt to keep track of both if you're going to do WW anyways.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Like others said....WW charges and from people I know on it...they charge A LOT. Yet MFP is 100% free. That alone makes my decision.

Yet I liked what Ocarina said...MFP is straight up calories and WW has to be converted from points. Another negative to me.

In the end it is what you are more comfortable with and what works best for you. Good luck choosing.
  • holdingsteady1120
    holdingsteady1120 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do both. I like the support you get from the WW group! But it's so much easier to track on MFP. I haven't been a good tracker on WW and since I've been on MFP (two weeks) I'm finally going in the right direction! I'm not converting anything to points right now but just tracking calories.
  • melodyjoy93
    melodyjoy93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Montana girl! I too have been doing WW for over a year now. I have about 25 more lbs to go but keep gaining instead of losing now. So....I just started counting calories. In your opinion, do you think 1200 calories a day is too little? I have been doing some research and a lot of other websites state that I should be consuming 1400 to 1800 calories daily. Do you stick with what calculations you got from this website? Thanks!
  • dreal05
    dreal05 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am new to weight monitoring programs , and a quick comparison of the apps alone makes MFP a winner , in my opinion. The database in MFP is super convenient and useful.