Counting Calories after vomiting?

Options
Hello, all! So I have kind of a strange question. Let me preface it by saying that I have gastroparesis (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001342/) and I vomit undigested food probably on a weekly basis.
When I first started getting sick, I vomited after almost every meal, but I've managed to get my nausea under control in most situations.
Since starting MFP, I have been diligent about having accurate food diaries, and I've only had a handful of days that I can't keep my food down.
My question is this... if I vomit after a meal, should I be counting all of those calories? I usually divide the meal in half, assuming that I got some calories but not as much as originally entered. I was talking with a friend about the situation, and she said to count the meal in its entirety anyways. Opinions?

Replies

• degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My question is this... if I vomit after a meal, should I be counting all of those calories? I usually divide the meal in half, assuming that I got some calories but not as much as originally entered. I was talking with a friend about the situation, and she said to count the meal in its entirety anyways. Opinions?

if it doesn't stay in it doesn't count... period.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    actually even if you puke your food out, you have already taken in some calories and you also don't puke out the entire meal. it depends whether you want to err on the safe side.

regarding this condition, does your doctor tell you to eat more to replenish when you actually do throw up? if yes, then you should count your meal that you throw up as less (say half, like what you are doing now). if he doesn't, then maybe you can count it in its entirety.

just my opinion..
  • scalci
    scalci Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this, I was wondering the same thing... I also have stomach problems (only after 4 years all my drs kinda just told me they are out of options and dont know what is wrong) and I ended up curing myself almost by using this app to eat right and by exercising... Anyway, I do tend to have episodes where I vomit a lot. My boyfriend said to count it as half as well... Idk tho, I figured thats the safest way to go lol... so I either count it all or count only half depending
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just use a food scale and measure the vomit and subtract the calories out.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Just use a food scale and measure the vomit and subtract the calories out.
    This works with stool too.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    How do you know how many calories you absorbed before throwing up? I mean seriously. What're you going to do if you subtract those calories back out, eat something else and possibly throw up again? Doubtful. I'd just count it and deal with it.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a question better answered by a doctor.
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't know about measuring your vomit and poo but going half on cals sounds about right
  • darbobo
    darbobo Posts: 53
    Options
    This is an old post, The original poster has deactivated there acct also
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes it's an old post but scalci has similar problems and is still free to inquire about it
  • rar1307
    Options
    This gonna sound weird but I bet you have a gluten intolerance. I always vomited after each meal for 25 years then I went gluten free. I also lost 40lbs in 4 months without trying.