Which Exercise Video? Snack ideas? Lost in flub....

Options
Hi everybody. I am about 5' 10 1/2 " tall, age 47 (feel 28 mentally), and am weighing in around 265 :( Shooting for 175 (skinny for me). Does anybody have any recommendations on good fun exercise videos that I could pick up at Walmart or Target. Something beginner-ish since I AM a lot to haul around. :) I'm not very "dance" coordinated either. I was always the softball, skateboarder type growing up.

I am also trying to stay at or below 1800 calories, and I feel hungry a lot. Which fruits should I avoid? Any filling/low calorie suggestions??? I have rice cakes and mini-wheats....

I am under a LOT of stress right now so not the best time to start this but I have been with it for 15 days so not giving up now...

God help us all :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do you have a video game system? I've liked some of the games for Wii. (Some I've tried: Exerbeat, EA Active 2. The EA one is probably harder on the knees to start, but incorporates more strength training. Exerbeat has different kinds of dancing but more aerobics class style than just dancing. It's the one I play the most. There's Wii Fit too. Neither of the first two I mentioned require the wii fit board though you can use it if you have it. ) The first two are similar to using DVDs but I like that I can get different routines or make my own. It keeps you from memorizing the DVD as quickly.

As far as food: I wouldn't say you need to avoid ANY fruits (just do in moderation), add in lots of veggie to up the filling quotient without a lot of Cals. Empty "low-Calorie" kinds of food may leave you feeling more snacky.

A couple tips I've heard to curb snackiness can be to brush your teeth right after you finish eating (the strong mint flavor had something to do with it. And (this one sounds strange still) hunger can be tied to our sense of smell so I've heard to "clear it out" so to speak sniffing the scent of ground coffee can help get rid of that urge.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Add me as a friend and check out my diary - I'm not perfect but some good options for snacks and filling foods.

Congrats for starting this - I am also around your weight and have a goal of 175 as well. You can do this!
  • BigMomma742
    BigMomma742 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you have a video game system? I've liked some of the games for Wii. (Some I've tried: Exerbeat, EA Active 2. The EA one is probably harder on the knees to start, but incorporates more strength training. Exerbeat has different kinds of dancing but more aerobics class style than just dancing. It's the one I play the most. There's Wii Fit too. Neither of the first two I mentioned require the wii fit board though you can use it if you have it. ) The first two are similar to using DVDs but I like that I can get different routines or make my own. It keeps you from memorizing the DVD as quickly.

As far as food: I wouldn't say you need to avoid ANY fruits (just do in moderation), add in lots of veggie to up the filling quotient without a lot of Cals. Empty "low-Calorie" kinds of food may leave you feeling more snacky.

A couple tips I've heard to curb snackiness can be to brush your teeth right after you finish eating (the strong mint flavor had something to do with it. And (this one sounds strange still) hunger can be tied to our sense of smell so I've heard to "clear it out" so to speak sniffing the scent of ground coffee can help get rid of that urge.

I don't have a video game system but thanks for the suggestions. The ground coffee suggestion would be excellent if I drank coffee and had any in the house...the smell of coffee nauseates me :) Thanks for your time :)
  • lilspringchicken
    lilspringchicken Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like string cheese for a snack!

For videos I like the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels and anything by Denise Austin. Neither are too dance-y, and both have modifications for beginners. Some people find Denise annoyingly perky though! Good luck!
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 59, and 5'9", and started last week at 264 pounds, so we have a very similar journey ahead... I get my cardio by going for walks, but I do have a Richard Simmons video - that seems to me to be a gentle start! I have been following the snack ideas recommended by the Mayo Clinic... Fruit or vegetables. Also, for the hot weather, have been making Popsicles out of low fat yoghurt. All the best to you!
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'8.5" and 266lbs the last time i weighed. but i've been good all week :) I have a few work out videos that i do interchangeably.

When i'm feeling pumped and ready to dig deep i do insanity (bare in mind it is alot of jumping so if you dont have good knees and ankles its a no no)

If I'm in a fighting mood i do billy's bootcamp (very little jumping around)

but if i dnt feel like doing exercise at all what i do is either walk up and down the stairs at a moderate pace or walk around the block at a moderate pace for a few minutes.

So far it seems to be working because no matter how little calories it is that i burn i still burn some and i am eating healthy most of the time and definitely eating in my calorie range.

As for snacks I stick to w/e fruit i have on hand or yogurt. if i'm on the road i might buy one of those granola bars but i try to keep my snacks 200 or under calories

I hope this helps :) I'm not going to weigh until the next 2 weeks so i wont know if its working but it sure do feel good