Cinema Treat?

Options
Hi, I'm on day 1 with myfitnesspal.com :) I really want to stick to this and i'm really determined. A bunch of us are going to the cinema tonight and I am wondering what I can have to eat. While all the others around me are munching on popcorn and malteasers I dont want to be the only one there with a diet coke in one hand and the other hand empty... Any ideas?

Replies

• poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    My theatre offers a snack pack for $7 complete with a KIND bar, dried fruit, and Pops Chips. However, I recommend bringing your own if you don't mind the thought of sneaking in outside food. May I suggest almonds? My favs are by Blue Diamond. They come in a variety of flavors.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Lots of ideas:
    Baby Carrots
    Sugar Snap Peas (Yummo!)
    grape tomatoes
    sliced cucumbers
    100 calorie packs

of course you have to have room in your purse! lol
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I actually decided to quit eating at the Cinema - I started by making sure I had eaten right before the show, and then put a stick of gum in my mouth the second after we entered the cinema - excused myself to the ladies room while others were at the concession stand, and only drink water while I am there.

I also wear something like a white cotton blouse or silk pastel cardigan so I am scared to get crumbs/stains on it.

good luck!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Determine how many calories you have left in your day (or workout early, reserve calories, etc) and get the popcorn. Or bring your own snack (cheaper). If you pop your own popcorn before you go (air popped) and stuff it in a big purse, it's a very light snack and healthy.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm on day 1 with myfitnesspal.com :) I really want to stick to this and i'm really determined. A bunch of us are going to the cinema tonight and I am wondering what I can have to eat. While all the others around me are munching on popcorn and malteasers I dont want to be the only one there with a diet coke in one hand and the other hand empty... Any ideas?
    Small bag of plain or salted popcorn. (take and empty sandwich bag, the plastic kind you get on a roll for putting your sandwichs in) empty half the popcorn into that, and hide it in your bag (take it home for later) thats about 275 calories.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs is a good idea.

They're kinda really small though, so bring gum too. Lol.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I *PERSONALLY* would not be loading my purse with veggies for the cinema. :laugh: My two favorite things are sugar free Jelly Bellies. (160 cals for the whole bag) and sugar free Red Vines (7 vines for 90 cals). You can get them at Rite Aid/CVS. The jelly beans I feel taste EXACTLY the same. I don't know how they do it!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The big things to avoid are the popcorn, nachos, and sodas. Popcorn is very healthy when made at home. When made at a movie theater, it is cooked with so much oil even before the ridiculously unhealthy butter flavoring that you are literally better off eating several boxes of candy.

Otherwise, I would recommend storing up your calories and going for just a regular box of candy. It's not healthy, but it's not the absolute worst.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I bring welch's fruit snacks. Maybe not the best choice, but it's better than candy.
  • nutie3112
    nutie3112 Posts: 3
    Options
    Had dinner before going to the cinema, steak & stir-fry veg with 150g oven chips. Wasnt hungry for anything in the cinema so had a diet coke :) I didnt feel one bit tempted to have popcorn/malteasers... So proud of myself.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Bring a snack, like some chocolate covered almonds or I usually get raisinets because they're gluten free and I love them :)
  • HellzNellz
    HellzNellz Posts: 40
    Options
    Sneak in some healthy snacks- popcorn, nuts, fruit, etc.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Had dinner before going to the cinema, steak & stir-fry veg with 150g oven chips. Wasnt hungry for anything in the cinema so had a diet coke :) I didnt feel one bit tempted to have popcorn/malteasers... So proud of myself.

Good for you!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Way to stick with it! One day at a time... ;)
  • thenewmrsgant
    thenewmrsgant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A big bag of fresh cherries are good to munch on also. I did that a few times and didn't feel deprived.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I bring in my own popcorn (love Skinnypop) and a 100 calorie chocolate bar from Trader Joes. I still get my treats but they aren't nearly as high on the calories, fat or salt.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Pop some popcorn at home. Let it cool a bit. Mix it in a gallon ziploc bag with some chocolate cheerios and/or peanut butter cheerios. Maybe even some almonds. Soooooooooooooooooo good. This is one of the reasons why I have a purse big enough for this stuff! :flowerforyou:
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I HATE the sound of people chewing carrots or other super crunchy items at the movies!!

Berries are a great movie theater snack to sneak in.. snack size corn cakes (a serving is 60 calories)...
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Soft pretzel with no salt is usually what I get

Or...ummm...Sneak in your own? ;-)