Avocado

Options

Replies

• lyndabw
    lyndabw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thanks I am gluten free and wow so many good things out there, this is a great idea
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use it like a dressing on diff meats, or spread on grain crispbreads, and on top of cooked veges, and with salad. So versitile and yummy with chilli, peppers, almost anyting you can thing of.

love this post!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I like to make a quinoa salad with avocado, tomato, black beans, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many good ideas. I have always thought that people didn't use avocado much. Guess I was mistaken. I remember when I was young we would have cottage cheese, avocado, sprouts and tomatoes with salt and pepper.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite lunches;

1/2 an avocado sliced on toasted sprouted grain bread. Top with a sprinkle of rock salt & pepper and a few dashes of Crystal or Trappey's Louisiana style hot sauce. Creamy with a bit of zing.

Heavenly

I like this with mashed avocado, chili flakes, and some lemon or lime juice.

Avocado topped with or mashed with a few olives is also yummy.

I saw a recipe for avocado and sardine toast.....we'll see when I work up the nerve to try this one!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I use half in my salad and the other on my face.
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    My favorite avocado recipe right now is a delicious sandwich/salad. Avocado, strawberries, and goat cheese one either lettuce or toast. I eat it after working out and always look forward to it.
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cut in half sprinkle with balsamic vinegar great side dish yum
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind my asking, but are you partial to any other sweeteners other than agave? I ask because agave, even raw agave, isn't the greatest thing to eat when you're trying to lose weight.
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Addiction - Protein powder, 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 avacado, 4 or 5 frozen strawberries, 1 cup frozen blueberries (1 cup spinach optional) and 2 ice cubes. A wonderful thick, creamy delight.
  • Eve23
    Options
    I hope you don't mind my asking, but are you partial to any other sweeteners other than agave? I ask because agave, even raw agave, isn't the greatest thing to eat when you're trying to lose weight.

In my family the only sweeteners we use are sugar, honey or agave. Stevia upsets people stomach. Agave adds moisture much like honey in the gf recipes I use.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sliced avocado, sliced tomato, garlic hummus and homemade whole wheat bread. MMmmmmmm.

I just tried this recipe last night and it was lovely:

Avocado Soup
    1 Avocado, cut into chunks
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 cucumber, peeled, cut into chunks
    small handful of cilantro
    1 green onion, roots removed
    1 Tbl Lime juice
    2 Tbl greek yogurt (optional)

Blend all in the blender! Add salt and pepper and/or croutons if desired. (I dipped my salmon cakes in it!)
  • erikastarryiz
    erikastarryiz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i cut mine in half and fill the holes where the pit was with salsa and eat it with a spoon :)
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    i love avacado chopped with roma tomato lemon juice and salt pepper... a great summer salad
  • hollyg123
    hollyg123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many yummy ideas for Avocados!
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like to mash mine and use it instead of mayo in tuna salad. One of my favorite quick and easy lunches is a can of tuna mixed with a mashed avocado, some salt, pepper and tomato slices - either just in a bowl, or as a wrap/sandwich. It makes a fair amount, so I can get 2 meals out of it if I make sandwiches.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    A great way to eat avocado is to spread it on toast - sounds crazy, but it's delicious.

I love that! I do it all the time!
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yummy avocado shake....half an avocado, ice, milk or your favourite non dairy substitute ( I like coconut milk beverage for the added creaminess....a pinch of sugar and a pinch of vanilla. The creamiest milk shake ever, with no ice cream. You can make it with ice cream and avocado, but then it's just way too high in calories.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Yummy avocado shake....half an avocado, ice, milk or your favourite non dairy substitute ( I like coconut milk beverage for the added creaminess....a pinch of sugar and a pinch of vanilla. The creamiest milk shake ever, with no ice cream. You can make it with ice cream and avocado, but then it's just way too high in calories.

I have heard of this one, haven't tried it yet though. Sounds great.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Two favorite breakfasts:

Two hard boiled eggs, one whole diced avocado, about 1/4 cup salsa and maybe a bit of chipotle jack cheese. Mix it all together. It's a bit high in calories and fat, but keeps my belly full for hours and hours.

Or, I take the pit out of an avocado, then slice it lengthwise into a few slices. Throw a slice on a griddle and cook an egg in the middle. Top with a bit of salsa/cheese. Yum!!