Triceps help???

Options
TXchris
TXchris Posts: 54 Member
I have lost around 40 pounds over the past year (30 with MFP in the past 6 months). I am now starting to REALLY notice sagging skin in the triceps. I joke that I feel like a flying squirrel. I have fairly decent biceps but my triceps are puny and always have been. This only magnifies the "flying squirrel" effect now that there is less fat filling out my arms. I have access kettle bells at home and buoys to work with in the pool. I hope to join a facility with a weight room soon, but I haven't worked out the logistics for that yet. Up until now, most of my exercise has been ballet and water aerobics/ water jogging. Both are primarily aerobic but have some definite strength building benefits-- especially for my lower body. I understand the importance of strength training but have shied away from weight training until now due to a history of back surgery. I am clear to do strength training, but I need to proceed with caution when bringing weights into the picture. Do you all have any suggestions on where to start? Any success with resolving the triceps sag after losing???

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Chris

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/technique/dips-home.htm

you can do this on the front of the couch or side of the tub too
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    dips
    close grip bench
    kick backs, even
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pushups are also a good tricep builder, to put more focus on them try and keep your elbows alongside your rib cage when you go down the for the push up to put more focus on the triceps. Of course normal pushups also work. Anything you do weight wise make sure its a push movement which those movements target your chest and triceps.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hear close-grip bench press are good for the triceps.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have access kettle bells at home and buoys to work with in the pool.
    Depending on the weight of the kettle bells you can do triceps kick-backs and overhead triceps extensions. Dips just require a chair or a bench and your body weight. Of course there are pushups. If you move your hands closer together it stresses the triceps more and does less for the chest.
  • TXchris
    TXchris Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! This should get me started. I appreciate the ideas!
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    buuump!! My arms are like hams!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    dips
    close grip bench
    kick backs, even

I'd agree with everything but the Kickbacks. They're really a semi-useless exercise with the only real use for a lagging "long-head" of the tricep, it doesn't really hit the entire tricep. It's one of those things to use if you're a body builder or fitness model and trying to adjust your symmetry.

Here are options, not recommending you do these all at once.

Close-Grip bench
    Floor Press (Barbell or Dumbbell)
    Dips
    Barbell extensions (straight bar or ez bar, rotate every few weeks)
    Dumbbell extensions (change the plane, incline, flat, decline)
    Pulley extensions with a rope
    Pulley extensions with a v-bar
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    As others have said : DIPS. Can easily do them at home, no equipment and they are effective. As you progress, you can make them more difficult by elevating your legs instead of having them on the floor in front of you.

You can Google and get video demonstrations of proper form ...
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lifts and likely the best lift for triceps in terms of complete engagement of the entire muscle.

• meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    actually boxing has made a bit of an improvement on my ham-like triceps, lmao
  • Honka1
    Honka1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First suggestion, join/visit Bodybuilding.com It's not just for meatheads! The website has everything, even a women's section.
    Go light, warm up with some calesthenics, do close "grip" pushups, tricep kickbacks (brace yourself and lean forward, lock elbow to side, and extend backwards). There are many more, but those seem shoulder and back safe, and easy to isolate JUST the tricep.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    First suggestion, join/visit Bodybuilding.com It's not just for meatheads! The website has everything, even a women's section.
    Go light, warm up with some calesthenics, do close "grip" pushups, tricep extensions .

Fixed to exclude kickbacks. Seriously, it's not a worthwhile exercise for most people.
  • Shannmfp11
    Shannmfp11 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing up this topic! I was looking in the mirror this morning trying to figure out what else I can do about my triceps! Great tips!!! Can't wait to start trying them!