Protein Drinks - need advise

Options
kat5556
kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
Meant - need advice -

I have my macros set for 40/30/30 and I'm having a hard time getting enough protein. I'd like to try a protein drink to supplement my food because I can eat some nuts but not a lot - they don't sit well in my stomach. The choices are overwhelming. I don't want a soy base one so with that;

Whats the best protein source?
What's a good brand that doesn't have artificial sweetener?
Is there one that I can make by just shaking it and not have to use a blender so I can have it during the day at work (no blender there)?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Protein foods (excluding nuts & soy)

Eggs
    Milk
    Cottage Cheese
    Yogurt
    Soft cheese (mozzarella, brie, camembert)
    Medium cheeses (cheddar, swiss)
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan)
    Chicken Breast (boness skinless)
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Halibut
    anchovies in water
    Sardines in water
    Oatmeal, rough cut
    Pancake, buckwheat
    Pancake, whole wheat
    Popcorn (dry & airpopped)
    Ry bread
    Whole wheat bread
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I like Jillian Michael's brand Natural Whey Protein- it contains Stevia, not aspartame or sucralose.
    It's @ our local WalMart in the same section where they sell the diet aids, not with the other body building protein powders.

I mix it w/ unsweetened almond milk and some vanilla ( 135 total calories for 1 cup) , and blend it in the AM, pour it in a plastic reusable drink box,
    and take it with me.
    It thickens as it sets, which makes it more like milkshake consistency when I drink it later.

Oops- sorry- you said NO soy. Label says it does contain soy in the form of soy lecithin.
  • kat5556
    Options
    Protein foods (excluding nuts & soy)

Eggs
    Milk
    Cottage Cheese
    Yogurt
    Soft cheese (mozzarella, brie, camembert)
    Medium cheeses (cheddar, swiss)
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan)
    Chicken Breast (boness skinless)
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Halibut
    anchovies in water
    Sardines in water
    Oatmeal, rough cut
    Pancake, buckwheat
    Pancake, whole wheat
    Popcorn (dry & airpopped)
    Ry bread
    Whole wheat bread

I'm already eating most everything on this list, but thanks, it's a great list for protein.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I like MRM Dutch Chocolate Whey Protein...in fact, I'm drinking one right now :) Mixes great in a shaker bottle and does not taste artificially sweet like some I've tried. I personally try to stay away from sucralose (splenda) and look for whey powders with stevia instead.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I really really like the dymatize elite line of whey protein powder. Vanilla is my favorite and tastes especially good in milk but not bad in water either. I use a nalgene bottle to shake the protein in - it works really well!
  • KELSLEY123
    KELSLEY123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you saying your protein target is 30g? That should not be too difficult (mine is over 100g); eat protein several times a day; the list of sources I saw seemed good. Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt! Greek Yogurt has a lot of protein! Good luck.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have some chocolate "Designer Whey" protein powder in my pantry - it's not bad, but I don't use it that often. I don't eat meat (I eat fish though), so some of my favourite protein sources are:

Quest protein bars
    Kashi Go Lean cereal (13g protein per serving!)
    Eggs with extra egg whites
    Cottage cheese

Good luck! x
  • kat5556
    Options
    Are you saying your protein target is 30g? That should not be too difficult (mine is over 100g); eat protein several times a day; the list of sources I saw seemed good. Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt! Greek Yogurt has a lot of protein! Good luck.

No not 30g - 30% which is 100+g's
  • JimSkipper
    JimSkipper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey protein that I get from the local Kroger store. You can add things to your protein drink to create variety. If you have chocolate flavored protein, add a few drops of mint extract - it will taste like a Girls Scout Thin Mint cookie. Mix in peanut butter, bananas or other ingredients to have a different drink each day.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Pro Performance. About 8 or so different flavors so I don't get bored with one flavor. The Strawberry Banana is really good.

These are low carb (most flavors under 5 grams), decent calories (100-130) and protein (20+) and GNC always has sales or their discount card so can get at reasonable price. These are whey do no soy (I hate soy taste).
  • elvissax
    elvissax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Always add an egg white or two with your eggs - low calorie and high protein.
    Eat cottage cheese and/or add it to your foods. It's great mixed in with your eggs for a scramble, but you can also put it in pancakes, rolls, etc. I like to eat it as a snack with berries and flax seed.
    Buy Greek yogurt and/or high protein yogurts. I buy Fage brand non-fat greek yogurt and use it in everything.
    In addition to adding protein powder to your smoothies, you can also blend it into milk to use in your cereal. I add a half scoop daily.
    Snack on some cheese!
    These tricks in addition to eating small portions of meat daily have kept me consistently meeting my protein goals. Hope that helps!