Weight lifting, where do I start?

Options
Hi fellow MFPers,

I am halfway to goal and want to start researching/planning for strength training/weight lifting.
I am looking for advice for where to start looking. This could be books, beginner weight lifting regime for females, apps, websites, videos or any other helpful tips. I am trying to decide whether or not to get NROLFW, let me know your opinions. What have you have success with?

I don't think I would be too confident waltzing into the weight section of a gym as a beginner and a female. I would most likely stick with something if I could do it at home, with minimal or cost-effective equipment. Thats not to say I wouldn't utilize the gym.

I have access to weights, dumbells of various sizes and possibly a bench. I think.

Replies

• 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anyone?
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will be flooded with varied opinions about what to train together on what days etc etc. So all I can do is give my opinion.

Firstly, if you have access to a gym, use it. A female in the weights area is awesome. Not only does it prove she is tough, it also proves she is smart, knowing that lifting is an essential part to a healthy persons training program.

Secondly, there is no weight program for females and there is no weight program for males. If your need for a "female" program is because you don't want to "bulk" then have no fear. A woman will not "bulk" from lifting weights. (There is a ton of other posts on this and science to back it up, I won't bore you with it here, but what is good for Joe is good for Jane)

My weight training tends to have a crossfit slant on it because I like crossfit. I like how it can be customized, is varied, covers all over fitness..etc, etc.Below is an obvious rip off, I won't try and hide it.

Because of this my weight routines involve 3 main movements.

DEADLIFT
    SQUAT
    PUSH PRESS

Three movements that engage numerous muscle groups. After all we lead a busy life and don't want to be spending hours and hours doing a an exercise for just biceps, one for just triceps and so on.

FIND YOUR STARTING WEIGHT
    Find a weight that is hard, but that you can comfortably complete the exercises in without losing form.
    Aim to increase deadlift and squat weight by 5lbs each week.
    Aim to increase push press weight by 5lbs every 2 weeks.

ROUTINE
    A simple short routine, maybe 3 days a week

15x Squats
    12x Dead lift
    9x Push Press

Maybe finish with some cardio if you wish.

Look at as much stuff as you can, get creative and remember your FORM. Enjoy!
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    Thanks!
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    I know it isn't "weight lifting" but I have been looking into TRX, anyone try it?
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Read this, top to bottom; best routine to start with is Starting Strength, which is listed in there.

http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I know it isn't "weight lifting" but I have been looking into TRX, anyone try it?

I love using a TRX, but I'm also experienced in strength training/program design. Although it is an at home system, some activities are quite complex and may not be suited for a beginner
  • ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    Muscle and Strength: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/women.html has lots of different workout routines and videos on how to various exercises properly.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Lots of books at the library too, that's how I started 6 weeks ago and I'm already seeing results. ;)
  • kamanda85
    kamanda85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'm also looking to start lifting. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I suggesting reading and following New Rules of Weightlifting for Woman, there is also a forum on her specifically for that
  • 1Kristine1
    Options

I love using a TRX, but I'm also experienced in strength training/program design. Although it is an at home system, some activities are quite complex and may not be suited for a beginner
    My gym offers classes for beginners-advanced. Im thinking about giving it a go.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    I suggesting reading and following New Rules of Weightlifting for Woman, there is also a forum on her specifically for that
    I have it on hold at the library :smile:
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    Lots of books at the library too, that's how I started 6 weeks ago and I'm already seeing results. ;)
    Any suggestions?
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I started out with New Rules of LIfting for Women - I'm a huge fan. You can pick it up from your library to learn more without paying any money for it.

I chose it above the others I looked into because (among other things) while it focused a lot on full-body compound movements (3x per week) as you will see many other good programs suggest, it also gave good variety/switched things up very few weeks - not the same thing all the time, which I like and feel is important.

If you have access to a gym, I'd definetly use it if you are going to use weights. If you really want to lift for real (heavy), you're going to need more than what most people can have at home - unless you're really lucky. I tried it and very quickly outgrew what I had space for. If you're nervous about going to the gym, start out during off-hours when it's not very busy.

If you want to do it at home, check out You Are Your Own Gym - another book I liked - and the excercises look very challenging also. You can do a lot with your own body weight!! One of these days I'm going to try that program.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    Thanks I will definitely check both of those books out.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'll inbox you...I'm a newbie to weights as well and love it and getting incredible results :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I did NROL4W and enjoyed it. If this is your first time lifting though, I would really recommend a few sessions with a trainer first to learn proper form. You just can't get it from looking at pictures and reading a book and you don't want to get hurt and have to give up.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?

nope...just search weightlifting & female weightlifting. i've found good info in different books.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Firstly, if you have access to a gym, use it. A female in the weights area is awesome. Not only does it prove she is tough, it also proves she is smart, knowing that lifting is an essential part to a healthy persons training program. Also, youtube is great for watching people

Secondly, there is no weight program for females and there is no weight program for males. If your need for a "female" program is because you don't want to "bulk" then have no fear. A woman will not "bulk" from lifting weights. (There is a ton of other posts on this and science to back it up, I won't bore you with it here, but what is good for Joe is good for Jane)

What he said!!! I learned form from personal trainers so I feel very comfortable with the bros :) I would suggest that you have a few sessions with a trainer at your gym to learn form and help you figure out how much weight to start with. Make sure you get someone that is well versed in lifting and let them know your plan.

I've been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program and have lost 20lbs so far. I even took about 3wks off due to being out of town, maintained my weight and only lost between 5-10lbs on my lifts. Here's the routine from the website below. I try to increase the weight as I feel comfortable to do so. According to Stronglifts it should be more often but I do what I can.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Alternate Workout A and B each time you go (3 times a week).

Workout A Workout B
    Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5 Deadlift 1x5

Here is what I'm lifting so you can see my progress:
    Started April 19
    Squats 65lbs
    Bench 60lbs
    Barbellr rows 95lbs
    Dead lift 95lbs
    Triceps extension (standing) 20lbs

Today June 27
    Squat 85lbs
    Bench 70lbs
    Bent over rows 110lbs
    Dead lift 110lbs
    Tricep extension (standing) 30lbs

I also do a little cardio after lifting - just some space out time for me while my baby is in the gym daycare :)
    Feel free to friend me if you want some support regardless of what path you choose.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest on line Michelle Bridges. It's a great site for all levels.