do you eat before you work out?

Options
do you eat before you work out? if so is there something better or not so great to eat?

Replies

• smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Protien shake or some fruit
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, don't eat/drink dairy!! haha, it gives me cramps at least in cardio.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    In the morning I don't eat before I workout, I just have a cup or more of water before I exercise. If I'm working out in the afternoon or evening, I wait about 30-60 minutes after a meal to exercise.
  • ajsopher
    ajsopher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    a high protein bar and add a liquid protein shot into the water I work out with.........
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If it's several hours before my workout I'll eat. If it's first thing in the morning and I'm working out after waking up, I won't, it makes me feel queasy. That's just me.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have a 1/2 cup of almond milk and 1 cup of whole grain cheerios 1 hr b4 my cardio. The between my cardio & lifting or ab workout, I have a nutrition bar. I try to put at least 30 mins between eating and exercise. I'll get sick if I don't.
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    "Don't swim for at least an hour after eating." :) I honestly don't know if you *should* eat before, but after working out I can't eat a thing...so I don't really have a choice. It's either before (at least an hour :wink:) or not for a few hours after.

--PD
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't. I do drink coffee before working out.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Depends. If it's an a.m workout, I always drink a cup of coffee and have maybe a small apple. I like to keep a main meal until after, otherwise I get too hungry
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Before and after except for my morning HIIT cardio where I perform the training in a fasted state.
    Maybe it burns more fat...who knows?
    Usually I eat 2 hours before training and right after.
    Good luck
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I typically go for a run in the morning and I eat a bowl of oatmeal when I first get up and head out anywhere between 30-60 minutes after.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    first thing am, i have a spoonful or two of cottage cheese
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a handful of almonds about 15 mins before.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 1.5 hrs before, any closer to the work out time and i feel like crap and don't want to work out.
  • blazingmissp
    blazingmissp Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i don't or i will get sick. i have to workout in the mornings before i eat because one i eat i can't do it anymore.
  • Angiehanzen1013
    Angiehanzen1013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I definitely try not to eat before an am cardio workout because it kills my stomach. If it is in the afternoon, then I eat a few hours before and immediately after. I may suggest seeing what is best for your body; some people have to eat or their blood sugar drops and they get queasy or lightheaded. I have heard once that if you wait to eat in the morning until after your exercise, that does something more for your ability to burn fat and maintain a higher metabolic rate, but don't quote me on it:)!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I don't, but I get up really early to work out and can't bring myself to eat anything when I'm half-asleep and just out of bed.
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i usually wont eat anywhere near time to exercise....ive regurgitated a mouthful of food into my mouth numerous times. if im running its no problem, but if im laying on my back doing heavy weights on a bench....its no bueno.
  • sunshinedean
    sunshinedean Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat my afternoon snack right after work consists of hard boiled egg whites & raw veggies. I never get sick but I thought that maybe I should have nothing in there for the weight loss!?
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I kind of have to, my Karate class is not until 6:30 and I stay later most of the times and don't get home till late. I have been trying not to eat after about 8pm (that don't always work). Plus I would rather have the nutrition in my body before so that I have the energy for the workout.
    Peace