Cranberries?

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
What can I do with fresh cranberries? I bought some last night and I'm not sure what to do with them! I'd like to have some for dessert tonight (100 calories or less), but I'm not sure how to make them, or what to combine them with... anyone have any thoughts or light recipes? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jessicasager
    Options
    put them in a salad with walnuts! or even cook some chicken and cranberries in a pan and let the juices cook into the chicken, then add a small dash of either honey or sugar to sweeten it up. YUM!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks Banks and Jessica. I'll have to look through the recipes and do some experimenting. :flowerforyou: I've never had fresh cranberries before!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    How do I love thee, Cranberries, let me count the ways...

Try heating them in a sauce pan with nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, little brown sugar, and orange juice. Stir as they start to pop and it makes this amazing sauce that's wonderful over vanilla ice cream OR turkey or chicken!

Or, add them to an apple pie recipe. Apple-Cranberry Pie = :love:

OR, toss them in with your oats to make oatmeal... they need to be heated enough to pop open.
  • kimwiley
    Options
    I cut them in half (if they're bigger) and stir them in with my oatmeal each morning, very delicious!
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    I actually did what Jessica suggested. I took boneless skinless chicken breast and cranberries and put them in the oven. It was very good.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I add them to my oatmeal before I cook it. They are AWESOME in oatmeal. I like to add some strawberry protein powder & walnuts. My favorite breakfast this time of year!!

Also, try 1/2 cup cranberries w/ a sliced apple. Warm it in the microwave for about 2 minutes or until the cranberries and apples are soft. Top w/ some plain yogurt & cinnamon & a sprinkle of walnuts. YUMMY!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I add them to my oatmeal before I cook it. They are AWESOME in oatmeal. I like to add some strawberry protein powder & walnuts. My favorite breakfast this time of year!!

Also, try 1/2 cup cranberries w/ a sliced apple. Warm it in the microwave for about 2 minutes or until the cranberries and apples are soft. Top w/ some plain yogurt & cinnamon & a sprinkle of walnuts. YUMMY!

YUM! I knew you'd have some good thoughts, Jess! :wink: You always do!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    YUM! I knew you'd have some good thoughts, Jess! :wink: You always do!

Thanks! I just bought a huge bag at Sam's club, but they won't last long! :laugh: They really get sweeter after you warm them up and they *pop*. And the sweetness of apples mixed w/ them... yum! Let me know if you try it out!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Mmm... eating cranberry-cherry-almond oatmeal this morning! :love:
  • larrycox
    Options
    cold crandberry relish

Put canberries, one orange peeled, almonds or walnuts, sweeten to taste with what ever you like and blend in a blender until consistancy of relish. Taste best if left in refreigerator over night.

Larry :tongue: