Shoes for jogging on sand?

Options
KLo924
KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
Hi all!

I'm lucky enough to have recently moved to a town near a beach. Thought I'd take advantage of it and try jogging on the sand for short runs and probably some strength training in the process!

What sort of shoes should I wear?

I plan on going on the compact part when it's low tide, at least until I get used to the new surface. So I was thinking regular sneakers, but don't want to wear out my good road sneakers prematurely. I was also thinking barefoot, but there are sneaky shells and tiny crabs here and there.

Any advice is appreciated :drinker: Thanks!

Replies

• KLo924
    Options
    anybody :) (bump!)
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Vibram five fingers.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I do barefoot beach runs. It helps strengthen all of those muscles in your feet that shoes tend to mess up, and it has helped me fix my gait for regular running. No more plantar fasciitis or annoying shin splints. WOOO!

The best thing about it though? It's like a built in pedicure, sloughs all of those dead skin cells right off :laugh:
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just got some Skeletoes. They are the Filament, cheaper version of the Vibram 5 fingers.
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I dunno, maybe a wetsuit boot? Neoprine for the most part would keep the sand out because it's form fitting, and you wouldn't have to worry about the water.

3735.jpg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I think I would go barefoot. But I have never run on the beach before so I don't really know.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I jog barefoot but I can't promise it's best.
    Sometimes I walk for a length and then run back towards where I started. Sometimes I run sprints from the soft sand into the water knee deep and then way back into the soft sand.
  • KLo924
    Options
    I do barefoot beach runs. It helps strengthen all of those muscles in your feet that shoes tend to mess up, and it has helped me fix my gait for regular running. No more plantar fasciitis or annoying shin splints. WOOO!

The best thing about it though? It's like a built in pedicure, sloughs all of those dead skin cells right off :laugh:

Love all of this!! ...especially the pedicure part lol I never thought of it helping regular runs outside of strengthening muscles. If my gait can be improved this is super awesome. Thanks!

Do you jog on the soft sand or compact sand where the tide came in? Someday I want to be able to run on the dry stuff...
  • KLo924
    Options
    I jog barefoot but I can't promise it's best.
    Sometimes I walk for a length and then run back towards where I started. Sometimes I run sprints from the soft sand into the water knee deep and then way back into the soft sand.

This is a great idea. I plan on doing intervals anyway (walking/jogging), and your sprint idea will compensate for some of the camber, and cool me down! Thanks :)

Have you ever had any shell/crab/glass problems?
  • KLo924
    Options
    I dunno, maybe a wetsuit boot? Neoprine for the most part would keep the sand out because it's form fitting, and you wouldn't have to worry about the water.

3735.jpg

Possibly a cheaper idea than new sneakers. Thanks!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Five Fingers are awesome, they have different soles for different activities, like walking, hiking etc, REI sells them and the sales reps there are usually very informative, if you do go with them and want to order online though, make sure you visit a store first to get sized properly, they can be a lil tricky.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Vibram five fingers.

OMG ~ BEST shoes I've ever owned!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Vibram five fingers.

^This! Accept no substitute!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Vibram five fingers.

^This! Accept no substitute!

And buy no fakes! :wink:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The trouble with running completely barefoot, as nice as it sounds, is that you're never 100% sure that there isn't a bit of glass in the sand somewhere etc, and once you've shredded your plantar it'll take you out of training for months, so another vote for Vibrams.

I had the original Sprints when they first came out, Bikilas and KSOs and I think I like my KSOs the best. :smile:

I am very very tempted to get some KSO Treks for woodland trail running. Nothing more fun then running like a child, dodging the roots, running through mud etc. :bigsmile: